does anyone see this failing as a gaming console like the wii did?

#21Seca VerinsPosted 11/9/2012 3:19:57 AM(edited)
You're being petty and silly. I was referring to a specific demographic, and you're conveniently ignoring that fact to act like I'm dehumanizing someone.

Give me a reason I should refer to the type of gamer who snivels over which video games are worthy of making you a "real" gamer and which aren't, the type of gamer who threatens to rape and murder a woman when she makes a series of videos about sexism in games, the type of gamer who shouts racist and homophobic slurs over voicechat all day, by any other name than that. Honestly I think it's among the nicer names I could use, and I'm not sure why you're taking offense to it because I'm not using it to refer to anyone in this topic, I'm using it to refer to a larger-scale issue in the gaming community. I think that's what makes you uncomfortable; you don't like the fact that that's the sort of person who comes to mind when the phrase "hardcore gamer" is used.
#22sonic777Posted 11/9/2012 3:21:22 AM
Seca Verins posted...
You're being petty and silly. I was referring to a specific demographic, and you're conveniently ignoring that fact to act like I'm dehumanizing someone.

And you're on a high horse acting like you're better than someone who is at worst passionate about their favorite hobby.

You're welcome.
#23Seca VerinsPosted 11/9/2012 3:23:03 AM
"At worst passionate about their favorite hobby" is a weird way of saying "sends death threats to people who dare argue that there are aspects of their hobby which might not be socially justifiable." Or have you not paid attention to gaming news in the past few months?
#24sonic777Posted 11/9/2012 3:23:40 AM
Seca Verins posted...
"At worst passionate about their favorite hobby" is a weird way of saying "sends death threats to people ]

Oh yeah, because EVERY hardcore gamer does that....
#25OmegaPillowPosted 11/9/2012 3:25:24 AM
Seca Verins posted...
Only "hardcore gamers", AKA the type of neckbeards who think there's any distinction between "casual" and "core" gaming, actually think the Wii "failed". The Wii is easily the most prolific and successful gaming console since the PS1, maybe even since the NES. It didn't "fail" because you've arbitrarily decided you don't like that women and adults with jobs (two types of human beings you'd previously only heard of in legend) happen to also enjoy some games on that console.

Whew. I'm beginning to suspect that hearing this idiotic rhetoric about the Wii has left me an angry husk of a being.

Failed to me, only game i enjoyed was super mario galaxy, other then that the system was crap to me.
---
Psn: An_Axe_Murderer capcoms defense force damage control on sfxt::http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999533-street-fighter-x-tekken/62143163
#26OmegaPillowPosted 11/9/2012 3:26:24 AM
Seca Verins posted...
I'm sorry, do you have a better term for people who feel the need to measure the quality of their entertainment hobby against the quality of other people's? I'm hardly saying all gamers are like that; I'm specifically pointing at those gamers who actively perpetuate the stereotype of the "neckbeard" by behaving in that way. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's fine, but don't pretend my argument is devalued by my pointing out that gamers reinforcing negative stereotypes about gamers do in fact align with those stereotypes. That's just kind of basic logic.

The hell is a neckbeard? Worst insult ever
---
Psn: An_Axe_Murderer capcoms defense force damage control on sfxt::http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999533-street-fighter-x-tekken/62143163
#27sonic777Posted 11/9/2012 3:28:15 AM
Also:

Seca Verins posted...
Only "hardcore gamers", AKA the type of neckbeards who think there's any distinction between "casual" and "core" gaming, actually think the Wii "failed". The Wii is easily the most prolific and successful gaming console since the PS1, maybe even since the NES. It didn't "fail" because you've arbitrarily decided you don't like that women and adults with jobs (two types of human beings you'd previously only heard of in legend) happen to also enjoy some games on that console.

I don't see anywhere in this post that you are criticizing people who send death threats, but I DO see you making a personal attack on TC, which I've highlighted in bold.

Get off your high horse and stop acting like you're defending truth, justice and the American way when you're just being a jerk.
#28Seca VerinsPosted 11/9/2012 3:31:49 AM
sonic777 posted...
Seca Verins posted...
"At worst passionate about their favorite hobby" is a weird way of saying "sends death threats to people ]

Oh yeah, because EVERY hardcore gamer does that....

I'm not sure if you're having a reading comprehension issue here or what. My statement wasn't "hardcore gamers all do this", it was "the types of people who do this perpetuate a negative image of 'hardcore gamers' as pathetic neckbeards." Reducing what I'm saying to a less nuanced argument removes yourself from the actual discussion. What I'm saying by mentioning those particular types of gamers is that there's something fundamentally a bit twisted in "gaming culture" when that sort of behavior doesn't seem particularly atypical; the general attitude when that was happening was one of "well, that's just gamers being gamers", and that's not coming from me; that's the justification the "hardcore gaming" community used for it.

My point is that there is a layer of elitism and bigotry involved in the distinction between "hardcore" and "casual", and it stems from the same basic mentality as those more extreme examples. For whatever reason, "hardcore gamers" don't like the fact that their hobby is suddenly being enjoyed by people very different from themselves, so they create this artificial barrier between "hardcore" and "casual" gaming.
#29Seca VerinsPosted 11/9/2012 3:33:10 AM
sonic777 posted...
Also:

Seca Verins posted...

I don't see anywhere in this post that you are criticizing people who send death threats, but I DO see you making a personal attack on TC, which I've highlighted in bold.

Get off your high horse and stop acting like you're defending truth, justice and the American way when you're just being a jerk.

I was using a rhetorical "you". That's pretty obvious in the context. You're bad at reading. That's okay. You've done a wonderful job demonstrating how open gaming culture is to criticism.
#30sonic777Posted 11/9/2012 3:34:37 AM
Seca Verins posted...
sonic777 posted...
Also:

Seca Verins posted...

I was using a rhetorical "you". That's pretty obvious in the context.

Yes, let's move to face-saving now.