Anyone know the a/v outputs of the WiiU?

#11darkjedilinkPosted 11/11/2012 5:23:37 AM
monkeyspoon posted...
darkjedilink posted...
monkeyspoon posted...
So is surround sound only available through hdmi. I don't think any Nintendo console has had surround sound before.

True surround sound is only available via HDMI. That being said, if you don't have an HDMI receiver to decode it, it won't be able to be processed as true surround sound anyway. As such, you might as well just get Wii Composite or Wii Component cables.

Sorry that's incorrect. Hdmi is the only way to get uncompressed audio. Surround sound like DTS or Dolby digital can go through optical.

The Wii doesn't have an optical output, so this has no bearing on the current discussion.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#12AncientRomeBCPosted 11/11/2012 6:01:20 AM
Reedeemer posted...
Yeah you're going to have to keep the HDMI and A/V cables both plugged in for your situation, I have my PS3 set up like that.

thats how i had my ps3 hooked up as well and i HOPE you can do that with the wii u
---
<> Wii U - Nov. 18th
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Caesar
#13monkeyspoon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 12:35:52 PM
darkjedilink posted...
monkeyspoon posted...
darkjedilink posted...
monkeyspoon posted...
So is surround sound only available through hdmi. I don't think any Nintendo console has had surround sound before.

True surround sound is only available via HDMI. That being said, if you don't have an HDMI receiver to decode it, it won't be able to be processed as true surround sound anyway. As such, you might as well just get Wii Composite or Wii Component cables.

Sorry that's incorrect. Hdmi is the only way to get uncompressed audio. Surround sound like DTS or Dolby digital can go through optical.

The Wii doesn't have an optical output, so this has no bearing on the current discussion.

I posted an adapter that allows you to get an optical signal out of the HDMI so it is relevant.

But it depends what audio codecs the Wiiu uses. If it doesnt support Dolby Digital or DTS then using the optical adapter won't make a difference.

I have a feeling the Wiiu will only support LPCM. That way the HDMI is uncompressed 5.1 while the analog audio will be stereo. But only certain amps will be able to decode the 5.1 surround.
#14monkeyspoon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/12/2012 8:04:20 AM
I've seen it confirmed that the WiiU only does surround sound using uncompressed PCM. If your amp doesn't support it then its only stereo for you. The WiiU does not support Dolby digital or DTS.
#15SpacedDuckPosted 11/12/2012 8:08:12 AM
True surround sound is only available via HDMI?

I hope you're referring to on the Wii U and not in general because I assure you true surround sound on devices is achievable with optical cables and other types of cables other than HDMI.
---

Keep/Kept the Faith! Forever a member of Red Sox Nation!
#16darkjedilinkPosted 11/12/2012 8:18:19 AM
SpacedDuck posted...
True surround sound is only available via HDMI?

I hope you're referring to on the Wii U and not in general because I assure you true surround sound on devices is achievable with optical cables and other types of cables other than HDMI.

Yes, I'm referring to the Wii U, SINCE THE WII U DOESN'T HAVE OPTICAL OUTPUT!!!
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#17IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/12/2012 8:20:05 AM
True surround sound is only available via HDMI.

Another case of darkjedilink ignorance, reminds me of that time he said that the 360 overheated because of the SATA harddrives in it.