Wii U - the least anticipated console in the history of gaming?

#1Killeryoshi8Posted 11/9/2012 6:26:41 AM
The Wii U is set to launch in the near future, but in the current situation, consumers are not particularly warming up for Nintendo's next hardware.

Over the last couple of years, Microsoft and Sony have worked on their consoles to do improve their games, but also more than that. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have grown to almost fully fledged media systems, not only being able to play games in HD, but also watch movies, listen to music, browse the internet, with some options even in 3D. Combine this with the heavy online infrastructure, and it will be clear that the perception of a console has changed over time.

In 2012, consoles compete with not only other consoles or PC, but also with multimedia devices like smartphones and tablets. The aforementioned investments may not actually be a bonus, but an hard needed attempt to live up to consumer expectations. Cluttered living rooms with single-purpose devices are history, as more and more devices gain functionality.

Nintendo repeatedly has stated that consoles are only for gaming, but recent attempts have made clear that the manufacturer has other ideas in mind for its Wii U. So far, however, those ideas are severely lacking. Without being able to play even DVD's, one can wonder what strategy Nintendo exactly will follow. The multimedia options are limited, the online system has yet to be revealed, and the games revealed as of now do not show any technological advancements over games of the current generation, nor does it add superior functionality when compared with games for tablets and smartphones.

Combine this with the relatively hefty price of both the hardware and the games, analysts are expressing doubts about the potential success of the Wii U.
---
Space Engine
Kerbal Space Program
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 11/9/2012 6:28:55 AM
u try too hard. goodbye.
#3BMK2010Posted 11/9/2012 6:31:10 AM
Killeryoshi8 posted...
The Wii U is set to launch in the near future, but in the current situation, consumers are not particularly warming up for Nintendo's next hardware.

Over the last couple of years, Microsoft and Sony have worked on their consoles to do improve their games, but also more than that. The Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have grown to almost fully fledged media systems, not only being able to play games in HD, but also watch movies, listen to music, browse the internet, with some options even in 3D. Combine this with the heavy online infrastructure, and it will be clear that the perception of a console has changed over time.

In 2012, consoles compete with not only other consoles or PC, but also with multimedia devices like smartphones and tablets. The aforementioned investments may not actually be a bonus, but an hard needed attempt to live up to consumer expectations. Cluttered living rooms with single-purpose devices are history, as more and more devices gain functionality.

Nintendo repeatedly has stated that consoles are only for gaming, but recent attempts have made clear that the manufacturer has other ideas in mind for its Wii U. So far, however, those ideas are severely lacking. Without being able to play even DVD's, one can wonder what strategy Nintendo exactly will follow. The multimedia options are limited, the online system has yet to be revealed, and the games revealed as of now do not show any technological advancements over games of the current generation, nor does it add superior functionality when compared with games for tablets and smartphones.

Combine this with the relatively hefty price of both the hardware and the games, analysts are expressing doubts about the potential success of the Wii U.

go watch tv or something
#4Rasputin77Posted 11/9/2012 7:18:56 AM
TC, you sound like a journalism student that doesn't have any sources.

You do raise a valid point about consoles being media devices, but you buffer it too much with the bait. If you're too excited to make the pant-pooping begin (as it has), you're only causing people to completely ignore any valid point you make.

Have you seen "TL;DR" before? Yeah, that's this next generation. "Aw! Three paragraphs? Pass." "I read something I disagree with - therefore, I won't read or consider the rest." "My parents failed me - help!" Etc., etc., etc.

You've got a great foundation with your writing skills... don't muck it up with blatant baiting. ;)
---
Best POTD EVER: "I live with my parents" = 52.03%
"Let's talk about the trolls way more than they actually post." - Wii U board logic
#5DiortePosted 11/9/2012 7:21:16 AM
Seriously? Considering how many Wii U preorders there were right out the gate, lol@this.
---
In capitalist America, bank robs you!
#6gumbyxcore99Posted 11/9/2012 7:21:42 AM
definitely a large amount of research involved in this post
#7Enigma149Posted 11/9/2012 7:25:58 AM
Ah, Rasputin. Always have to insert that jab about how the up-and-coming generation is the spawn of Satan, don't you?
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey