Folks must be pretty naive....

#21Stefan1277Posted 11/9/2012 5:37:31 PM
This applies to every other console/electronic/company. But yeah, double standards. Who's the naive imbecile now? the one that does it or the one that THINKS Nintendo is the only one?
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#22PendragoonPosted 11/9/2012 5:44:34 PM
Nintendo was at a price disadvantage back when the Wii launched as well. The PS2 cost $129 and had a massive library of games. Same situation now applies to the PS3 and 360, only they aren't quite as cheap in comparison.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#23SuperShyGuy9000Posted 11/9/2012 5:57:49 PM
lol, if the prospects of Nintendo failing helps you sleep at night
#24RandomHeroPosted 11/9/2012 6:00:50 PM
i don't understand how people can be so confident in their posts when they clearly lack information. we have a pretty good idea of how many Wii Us are being shipped to each region, and the numbers are very low. Outside of perhaps Australia, the system will be sold out through the holidays without question.
---
you're it
#25genlockPosted 11/9/2012 6:06:45 PM
The fact is that scarcity encourages the perception of value, so it is worth it for Nintendo to keep advertising once they are sold out. It makes the desire for the system even greater (outweighing the disappointment) among consumers who did not pick one up.

Let me be clear though, I am not implying anything either way. I think it is likely you will be able to get a Wii on launch day because I am skeptical of the real demand widely for the system. At the same rate, why not underproduce a console to generate that desire if you expect low sales? There are lots of possible scenarios here and they are being way oversimplified here in business terms.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#26GAMER_X_REVIVAL(Topic Creator)Posted 11/9/2012 6:08:59 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Nintendo was at a price disadvantage back when the Wii launched as well. The PS2 cost $129 and had a massive library of games. Same situation now applies to the PS3 and 360, only they aren't quite as cheap in comparison.

Again though things were different back then. Nintendo had a leg up and a major hook for appeal with the 'brave new world of control' with the waggle gimmick.

They have no hook this time. Ipads have been out forever and everyones been there and done that. It doesnt really have a killer app to draw in consumers, theres no hook. Hell all the commercials I've seen are terrible. People in a hollywood squares house playing god awful NSMBU. They most they do in the commercial is all too quickly go ' and little billy can play this **** on the controller and free up the tv' lol. I wouldnt even call that a hook.

I dunno, I guess the Nintendo hardware board camp is wearing rose colored blinders but Nintendos not really trying very hard to sell people on this thing. The commercial was basically 'The new Wii U, look people are playing mario on it, and you can play it on the screen instead. Nov 18, the end'

If I had never seen the thing I wouldnt really be interested or care to be honest. I really wonder what demographic theyre targeting with these commercials, they waste the 30 seconds with crap like the colorful stupid ass set they're filming on and derpy people, and barely show the console itself or the damn controller.

I've said this before, but I swear nintendo doesnt have a real marketing dept. They really suck at this.
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#27TreGoodaPosted 11/9/2012 6:13:43 PM
It's good to have a sold out product and have people searching for an item. It creates even more demand through the hype.
---
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."
#28genlockPosted 11/9/2012 6:27:06 PM
I do have to say I think people are WAY overrating the interest in the new control paradigm. It might be because I work in tech and this kind of integration has been around a long time, well before WiiU was in concept. And having used them they have real limitations (and very cool applications too). But I would echo that the wow factor of an integrated tablet system is really not that novel. It can be difficult to be objective in these cases, certainly, but I am having trouble seeing a real advantage here the way they have broken it out aside from gimmick. I will be waiting but I also have no allegiance or predisposition to anyone's tech. Except Canon. I love Canon.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?
#29hyruler461Posted 11/9/2012 6:36:40 PM
Im pretty sure most stores will have sold out on launch day. I know at the target I work at the Nintendo rep that was there said they are only getting as much Wii U consoles as pre order cards they get, so if no more cards are there, chances are there won't be anything on the shelf.
#30Trippinhippie22Posted 11/9/2012 6:54:15 PM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...

Again though things were different back then. Nintendo had a leg up and a major hook for appeal with the 'brave new world of control' with the waggle gimmick.

They have no hook this time. Ipads have been out forever and everyones been there and done that. It doesnt really have a killer app to draw in consumers, theres no hook. Hell all the commercials I've seen are terrible. People in a hollywood squares house playing god awful NSMBU. They most they do in the commercial is all too quickly go ' and little billy can play this **** on the controller and free up the tv' lol. I wouldnt even call that a hook.

I dunno, I guess the Nintendo hardware board camp is wearing rose colored blinders but Nintendos not really trying very hard to sell people on this thing. The commercial was basically 'The new Wii U, look people are playing mario on it, and you can play it on the screen instead. Nov 18, the end'

If I had never seen the thing I wouldnt really be interested or care to be honest. I really wonder what demographic theyre targeting with these commercials, they waste the 30 seconds with crap like the colorful stupid ass set they're filming on and derpy people, and barely show the console itself or the damn controller.

I've said this before, but I swear nintendo doesnt have a real marketing dept. They really suck at this.

You obviously have never been in a marketing position. Falsifying high demand in the market leads to more people wanting the product. Have you ever heard of a company named apple? All their stuff is in limited supply and they also keep their hand of cards close to their chest to leave people curious about their "newest product".