Folks must be pretty naive....

#31overkillwfo1978Posted 11/9/2012 9:26:44 PM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
Nintendo was at a price disadvantage back when the Wii launched as well. The PS2 cost $129 and had a massive library of games. Same situation now applies to the PS3 and 360, only they aren't quite as cheap in comparison.

I've said this before, but I swear nintendo doesnt have a real marketing dept. They really suck at this.

Nintendo's product is in such demand that it doesn't need to do what also-ran's like Sony need to do to sell their system. That's what makes anti-Nintendo people the most angry. They don't have to have the most "powerful" system, they don't have to have 8000 ads in every type of media out there.... and they STILL end up on top.

The Nintendo name sells itself because of their first party awesomeness and constant innovation with controls and other things that Sony and Microsoft will no doubt copy like they did last gen.

Doesn't matter. Nintendo will still be laughing in first place. Can't wait til the sales figures come out after this holiday season is over. You will hear crickets from doubters. It will be golden.
---
"Then we figured out that we could just park them in front of the tv, that's how I was raised, and I turned out tv"
#32RandomHeroPosted 11/9/2012 9:37:30 PM
genlock posted...
The fact is that scarcity encourages the perception of value, so it is worth it for Nintendo to keep advertising once they are sold out. It makes the desire for the system even greater (outweighing the disappointment) among consumers who did not pick one up.

Let me be clear though, I am not implying anything either way. I think it is likely you will be able to get a Wii on launch day because I am skeptical of the real demand widely for the system. At the same rate, why not underproduce a console to generate that desire if you expect low sales? There are lots of possible scenarios here and they are being way oversimplified here in business terms.

Actually the bottom line is quite simple, and you're overthinking (or underthinking?) it. Nintendo wants to sell as much hardware and software as possible. Limiting hardware limits the software, which is the real moneymaker. There have been numerous reports about the manufacturing troubles Nintendo has had with U, so we don't need to waste time speculating.
---
you're it
#33Liquid_FrostPosted 11/9/2012 9:53:13 PM
i was at my local eb games today, i asked them about the wii u pre-orders, and they dont have any. some areas will be sold out while others will have stock on the shelves
---
"Its Nice to be Important, but more Important to be Nice!"---
#34mhunterchumpPosted 11/9/2012 10:55:33 PM
There are still employees at Best Buy, Target, and Walmart that first heard about the Wii U when the demo unit was set up in their store.

90% of the people I've told about it had never heard of it.

But you think Nintendo should stop running ads because you think people will settle for the cheaper Xbox or PS3?

The Xbox and the PS3 has been out forever, most people that wanted one, already have it or would ask for it specifically..

No parent in their right mind would get an Xbox or PS3 for their kid because the Wii U is hard to find unless they said it was OK if they can't find a Wii U.

Whether or not the Wii U is hard to find, the last thing Nintendo needs to do is stop advertising. That would be one of the dumbest business moves ever.

lol that TC thinks he's an expert in business because he/she worked a few retail jobs.
---
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#35crowkillersPosted 11/9/2012 11:12:26 PM
I honestly don't think that everyone is going to be able to cover their preorders. I am talking all of the various chains that offered early preorders.
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
www.crowkillers.com
#36crowkillersPosted 11/9/2012 11:18:05 PM
40Dribylf posted...
I hope this is a joke topic. While I'm sure the WiiU won't be as scarce as the Wii was, there is no way you'll just be able to stroll into a store on launch day and pick one up. It will be pretty tough to find one before Christmas.

I did it with the Wii, I walked into a Gamestop on launch day and bought one without a pre-order

I'm gonna do the same with the Wii U

I don't think that is going to be possible this time around since Gamestop has implemented the "Waiting List"
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
www.crowkillers.com
#37DBPanterAPosted 11/9/2012 11:55:13 PM
RandomHero posted...
i don't understand how people can be so confident in their posts when they clearly lack information. we have a pretty good idea of how many Wii Us are being shipped to each region, and the numbers are very low. Outside of perhaps Australia, the system will be sold out through the holidays without question.

This. Nintendo, in their last financial statement forecasts sales of 5.5 million Wii U consoles globally by 3/31/13. That should give everyone a pretty good idea of the numbers we are talking about.

If you look at Wii sales by region (North America, Europe, Japan), you will easily see that North America has the largest percentage of sales. Further, the idea of holiday shopping and purchasing gifts for X-mas is a much bigger deal in North America than the other regions.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

By the above link, you get a pretty good idea where the largest number of consoles will be heading. The fact both Reggie (NoA) and Iwata have stated the consoles will be in short supply should give you an idea that for the majority of people, it's going to be difficult to find.
---
GE 007 Wii FC: 3219 3898 2992 &. Minny
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#38gumbyxcore99Posted 11/10/2012 12:10:55 AM
i dont know man i think the guy who wrote this topic might be onto something. its a different world out there now. nintendo doesn't just have other consoles to compete with this holiday season. there are tablets and smartphones and other gadgets that had extremely limited or non-existent markets back in 06.

the gaming industry as a whole is not nearly as healthy as it was back then either. and the wii u is more of an evolution than a revolution like the wii was. plus people are already fairly familiar with touchscreen gaming and might not see the appeal in a dedicated device vs what they're already using.

the casual appeal is limited in comparison to the wii. i don't think you're going to hear too many stories of friday night nintendoland gatherings at the seniors lodge like you did with wii sports.
#39DBPanterAPosted 11/10/2012 12:20:09 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
i dont know man i think the guy who wrote this topic might be onto something. its a different world out there now. nintendo doesn't just have other consoles to compete with this holiday season. there are tablets and smartphones and other gadgets that had extremely limited or non-existent markets back in 06.

the gaming industry as a whole is not nearly as healthy as it was back then either. and the wii u is more of an evolution than a revolution like the wii was. plus people are already fairly familiar with touchscreen gaming and might not see the appeal in a dedicated device vs what they're already using.

the casual appeal is limited in comparison to the wii. i don't think you're going to hear too many stories of friday night nintendoland gatherings at the seniors lodge like you did with wii sports.

You are correct. I personally do not see the WIi U selling nearly as many consoles as the Wii. The market is different. People (casual gamers) are now used to paying little or nothing for games on their phones. That directly creates competition for the big 3. In 2012, most folks do not have the money to spend wildly like they did in 2006 (prior to the global recession that many believe we are only now beginning to show signs of improvement).

Yet, what many people forget is the majority of consumers (not people coming here) do not care for technology that much. 60% of American households have a HDTV. Many people buying new cell phones are buying phones with tech that is years old (looking at Apple). Pushing cutting edge tech for a new console at a high price will not help any company today. I mean, they got TVs to 1080, it will be a decade before they reach 4K (as costs fall and the fact most people expect their TVs to last a LONG time.)

However, the fact remains there will not be Wii U's sitting around. Nintendo didn't make enough. They want the hype (same thing Apple does).

It is all part of a psychological marketing strategy where people can boast they have the new item, and those that do not have it feel left out or need the new item. This is what Apple does with their new versions of their products every 9-12 months. It's called "planned obsolescence"
---
GE 007 Wii FC: 3219 3898 2992 &. Minny
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#40RandomHeroPosted 11/10/2012 1:27:35 AM(edited)
the difference is Apple makes most of their money off hardware. Nintendo makes money from software, which sells based on how much hardware is out in the public. They want to sell Mario and Ninja Gaiden. They don't want to sabotage 3rd party support.

It's not that the Wii was not undershipped, it's that Nintendo didn't know they had the next cultural phenomenon on their hands. As soon as they realized it wasn't just a quick fad they built more manufacturing plants to try to fulfill the demand.

The Wii U is a bit different. They have had manufacturing issues with the gamepad. This may be why it's not sold separately to begin with; they're all needed to sell with consoles. Stop with the conspiracies and naivety. Nintendo is a publicly traded company with unhappy investors. They want to sell as much hardware as they possibly can to capitalize on the holiday and their head start over Microsoft and Sony. They want money in this fiscal quarter, not theoretical money in the future.
---
you're it