Folks must be pretty naive....

#51darkjedilinkPosted 11/10/2012 12:38:13 PM
People said the same thing about the Wii, PS2, PS1...
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#52GAMER_X_REVIVAL(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 12:40:52 PM
mhunterchump posted...

First you say Nintendo should stop running ads because the "general public" you know so well from working retail will buy a different product when its sold out.

And now you say they didn't run enough ads and that the economy is different so people won't buy it?

So which is it?

Your reading comprehension is a little off.

I said, that THE STRATEGY of manipulating the supply chain to inflate demand, like they did with the Wii, WILL NOT work because of the nature of the market, technology, and the economy today as compared to how things were when the Wii launched. And I'm not the only one to say so, plenty of gaming publications have made similar observations in regards to this situation.

In regards to advertising, I made two separate points. Firstly, that they should not be spamming these weak non descriptive ads if they're gonna play it up like its sold out, because it will backfire given how theres plenty of cheaper competition on store shelves that WILL be in stock.

And secondly, that they should of been hyping this thing in the mainstream LONG, LONG AGO, since they decided to put the word Wii in the name and since the console body is too easily mistaken as a Wii at a few seconds glance in a short commercial by a casual consumer, especially when the game shown is a damn clone of a Wii game, Mario U. Since the Wii Us little gimmick requires a decent amount of exposition and explanation for any casual consumer to even understand the draw, the advertising campaign should of started a long time ago so people would know wtf it really is, and actually even care it exists or want it.

Most people that see these commercials are going to go "Oh look they're rereleasing the Wii with a little touch screen on the controller. Oh look, New Super Mario Bros Wii. Well, I already have a Wii, and I already have that game. And I already have a tablet system like iPad since its been out forever, so I have no reason to want this"

Though honestly this all could of been avoided if they had made ANY effort to distinguish the system apart from the Wii. The word Wii should never of been in the console name. That was seriously the worst idea ever and its going to come back to haunt them. Its like releasing the PS3 but calling it the "PS2 U". Everyones gonna think its just another PS2 release and not pay attention.

Nintendos totally out of touch when it comes to marketing. Period.
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#53darkjedilinkPosted 11/10/2012 12:49:10 PM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
mhunterchump posted...

First you say Nintendo should stop running ads because the "general public" you know so well from working retail will buy a different product when its sold out.

And now you say they didn't run enough ads and that the economy is different so people won't buy it?

So which is it?

Your reading comprehension is a little off.

I said, that THE STRATEGY of manipulating the supply chain to inflate demand, like they did with the Wii, WILL NOT work because of the nature of the market, technology, and the economy today as compared to how things were when the Wii launched. And I'm not the only one to say so, plenty of gaming publications have made similar observations in regards to this situation.

In regards to advertising, I made two separate points. Firstly, that they should not be spamming these weak non descriptive ads if they're gonna play it up like its sold out, because it will backfire given how theres plenty of cheaper competition on store shelves that WILL be in stock.

And secondly, that they should of been hyping this thing in the mainstream LONG, LONG AGO, since they decided to put the word Wii in the name and since the console body is too easily mistaken as a Wii at a few seconds glance in a short commercial by a casual consumer, especially when the game shown is a damn clone of a Wii game, Mario U. Since the Wii Us little gimmick requires a decent amount of exposition and explanation for any casual consumer to even understand the draw, the advertising campaign should of started a long time ago so people would know wtf it really is, and actually even care it exists or want it.

Most people that see these commercials are going to go "Oh look they're rereleasing the Wii with a little touch screen on the controller. Oh look, New Super Mario Bros Wii. Well, I already have a Wii, and I already have that game. And I already have a tablet system like iPad since its been out forever, so I have no reason to want this"

Though honestly this all could of been avoided if they had made ANY effort to distinguish the system apart from the Wii. The word Wii should never of been in the console name. That was seriously the worst idea ever and its going to come back to haunt them. Its like releasing the PS3 but calling it the "PS2 U". Everyones gonna think its just another PS2 release and not pay attention.

Nintendos totally out of touch when it comes to marketing. Period.

Except they didn't manipulate the supply chain in any way. Demand was far higher than anticipated. There's a huge difference.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#54RandomHeroPosted 11/10/2012 1:00:34 PM
tc if you were half as smart as you think you'd understand the importance of brand, and why retaining the name Wii and running commercials for a sold out product are both good decisions.

what irks me about your posts itt is you're so sure of your opinions even when they contradict every report we've seen. You really think Nintendo wants to limit themselves to 5.5 million consoles through March 31 2013? You think they want to cut their software sales in half for the next 5 months?

and as someone else pointed out you can't make up your mind. first you say there shouldn't be any TV ads, now you're saying they started advertising too late.
---
you're it
#55GLDanzegoPosted 11/10/2012 1:31:31 PM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
GLDanzego posted...
I haven't combed through all the hate in this thread to see if I'm posting something that already has been, but....

Just because there may be units available on launch day outside of preorders doesn't mean that the potential to turn a profit from scalping a system is gone. After all, it IS the Christmas season and common sense should tell you that those non-preordered systems can (and mostly likely will) sell out, too. Where do you suppose anyone who hasn't gotten a Wii U after they're gone will turn to, especially the closer it gets to Christmas?

That's right: those systems sitting on Ebay and Craiglist.

----

The problem with that equation is that works when the product is that holiday seasons "Hot must have" item. Like furby way back when, tickle me elmo, and the original Wii. Wii U has no real hype to speak of in the mainstream, outside of seeing the all too short commercial where you barely get a look at it, most people have no idea wtf it is. Hell if I was just a member of the general public and had seen the commercial, I would think its a controller add-on. I wouldnt even think its a new system, because they never say in the commercial its a new console, new system, or anything.

Most people are going to think, going off the commercial, that its just a Wii redesign (like the newer outer shell on the 360) that has a controller with a screen on it packed in. Shoving the weakest possible game visually into the commercials, Mario U, was a huge mistake because in a commercial that brief, showing a game with the BEST visual fidelity possible, or several, like ZombieU or Mass Effect 3, would of helped distinguish in peoples minds that this is not a Wii with a different controller.

The Wii U is most likely gonne start off with weak sales, since only nintendo enthusiasts and fairly engrained gamers know what the hell it actually is at this point, 8 days from launch.

They waited way too long to advertise the thing. They should of been buying spots in big mainstream publications to run stories to explain the thing. Late nite with Jimmy Fallon where he actually confuses it as a controller add-on was really not close to the kind of exposure the console needed pre-launch.

Its not me hating on nintendo, I just don't see there being much steam at launch. They're trying the Wii supply chain manipulation tactic again trying to make lightning strike twice, but the market, the economy and everything is just too different from when the Wii launched for that kind of strategy to work again. Its only going to hurt them this time unfortunately

Well, I don't know about you, but it's not very often that I see a game system featured on the news when its alleged preorder allocation sells out. However, I saw that quite a bit on the nightly news when it happened with the Wii U. Nintendo is hitting with this ad campaign already, even though the general rule on game system releases has been to hang back on advertising until free word of mouth/"grassroots" campaigns slow down. I've also been seeing "Coming soon: Wii U" spots in retail store ads and flyers for weeks now.

I would say using THAT as a gauge- what's happening in the real world- suggests that hype is actually relatively strong. I don't know what you're using as a gauge, but, well......why don't you share that with us? What scientific method are YOU using to gauge this nonexistent hype you claim the Wii U has? Seems to me, all you're going on is a whole lot of conjecture and trying to serve it up as fact.
#56KrichulPosted 11/10/2012 2:25:16 PM
If the Wii being sold out everywhere circa 2006-2007 wasn't an indication enough, they're very aware of the situation and will be overcompensating stock so people aren't driven to $600+ Wii eBay auctions, like last time.
#57ArcadianGenesisPosted 11/11/2012 3:47:22 PM(edited)
I completely agree with the TC - it would be stupid of NIntendo to under-produce consoles again, and if they use "perceived scarcity" as a business tactic, that is just sickening and morally reprehensible. But hey, the entire socioeconomic system is sickening and morally reprehensible, so I can't say that I'm surprised. Just disappointed.

He also made some really good points about their advertising. The TV ads are horribly uninformative and actually serve to insult the intelligence of most gamers.

One bit of advice for the TC: you keep making the error of using "of" in place of "have." For example:

Incorrect: "Nintendo should of created better ads."
Correct: "Nintendo should have created better ads."
Also correct: "Nintendo should've created better ads."

The error is perhaps due to the fact that "should've" sounds identical to "should of" when spoken. But one is correct and one is wrong.
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#58GAMER_X_REVIVAL(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 3:47:19 PM
ArcadianGenesis posted...
I completely agree with the TC - it would be stupid of NIntendo to under-produce consoles again, and if they use "perceived scarcity" as a business tactic, that is just sickening and morally reprehensible. But hey, the entire socioeconomic system is sickening and morally reprehensible, so what do you expect?

He also made some really good points about their advertising. The TV ads are horribly uninformative and actually serve to insult the intelligence of most gamers.

One bit of advice for the TC: you keep making the error of using "of" in place of "have." For example:

Incorrect: "Nintendo should of created better ads."
Correct: "Nintendo should have created better ads."
Also correct: "Nintendo should've created better ads."

The error is perhaps due to the fact that "should've" sounds identical to "should of" when spoken. But one is correct and one is wrong.

I wish I could hate on the grammar nazism but I'm just as bad like that lol

Thanks for the tip haha
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#59DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/11/2012 3:48:20 PM
Every console that ever sold out on launch has done the same thing.
DS did it. Wii did it.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED