Gamers today are too spoiled!

#1Lemmywinks13Posted 11/10/2012 3:55:57 AM
While I think it's more the gamefaqs gaming community than the general population, it seems as if gamers today are way too freakin spoiled. Some reasons.

1.It seems if there isn't a new game coming out that week then people start whining. I remember in the N64 days I had to wait six months sometimes for anything good to come out. New games come out now and seem to be immediately forgotten. Almost as if people look forward to looking forward to games more than actually playing them.

2.People complaining about Virtual Consoles and stuff like that. WAAAAH, only one game came out this week! Do you realize how freakin lucky we are to have a service like this? When I was growing up the thought of being able to play NES, Super NES, N64, Genesis, and more all on one system without having to get up and change the game...my mind boggles at how awesome that would of been. I had to bust out those systems and unhook old systems and hook up new ones and change the games. Now you push a button. Donkey Kong Countrys...all the Marios, Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, Super Metroid, Mega Mans, Castlevanias and so much more all at your fingertips. When one of these awesome games comes out all I read is...I don't want that game, where is Earthbound? lol

3.If a game gets an average rating of less than a 9, people start to call the game crap. This is perhaps the most irritating one. Take the recent example of Paper Mario Sticker Star. IGN gave it an 8.3 and it is averaging an 8 or higher in its reviews. People turn snobbish and act like its an insulting waste of their time to play it. This is a really good score!! It says so right below the score where it says GREAT! Yet people came up with a theory that games are only rated on a three point scale of 7, 8, or 9. Not sure where this crazy theory came about but my god it's annoying to see so many people act like a game is unplayable if it's below a 9. Sure it might have a few flaws, but give it a shot and I'm sure you would find the game great like all the other reviewers did. Oh that's right, gamers don't have time for flaws these days lol.

There are plenty more examples but I think you get the picture. Too many gamers are spoiled brats these days...or Gamefaqs is full of pampered kids. lol
#2squatch22Posted 11/10/2012 3:56:59 AM
AGREED!
---
SoE posted: I'm not a being a rabid fanboy of one console when I ruthlessly defend the Vita
http://www.jc-news.com/gfx/gaf/lol/nintendo_cycle.png
#3Omega_BlackPosted 11/10/2012 4:16:12 AM
While I think it's more the gamefaqs gaming community than the general population...
It's an Internet comment thing.
My two cents?

1. That's the thing. People want "NEW" games, not ports (ME3, Batman, etc.), apparent rehashes with slightly new twists (sorry NSMBU), or "improved" director's cuts (NGIII). Yeah, console launches typically aren't known for their wildly new content and that's certainly not discounting ZombiU. But for people dropping a lot of money on this thing, well they want some assurance that the potential is there. For them as well as people who aren't even interested, it's only in faint glimmers, if at all.

2. When you've got services like XBLA and even PSN on the other side constantly outperforming the VC's molasses-speed trickle of content, yes there's ample reason to complain. Hell, the Japanese VC got better content faster than the other regions. Kind of a slap in the face, I think.

3. Impossibly high expectations can never really be met, not even with a score of 8 point whatever. Then again, they could also be complaining because it's yet another Paper Mario that looks to not do anything really compelling. For them at least.

Whatevs. There's always the option to ignore. =)
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#4Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:34:02 AM
Omega_Black posted...
While I think it's more the gamefaqs gaming community than the general population...
It's an Internet comment thing.
My two cents?

1. That's the thing. People want "NEW" games, not ports (ME3, Batman, etc.), apparent rehashes with slightly new twists (sorry NSMBU), or "improved" director's cuts (NGIII). Yeah, console launches typically aren't known for their wildly new content and that's certainly not discounting ZombiU. But for people dropping a lot of money on this thing, well they want some assurance that the potential is there. For them as well as people who aren't even interested, it's only in faint glimmers, if at all.

2. When you've got services like XBLA and even PSN on the other side constantly outperforming the VC's molasses-speed trickle of content, yes there's ample reason to complain. Hell, the Japanese VC got better content faster than the other regions. Kind of a slap in the face, I think.

3. Impossibly high expectations can never really be met, not even with a score of 8 point whatever. Then again, they could also be complaining because it's yet another Paper Mario that looks to not do anything really compelling. For them at least.

Whatevs. There's always the option to ignore. =)

While I see a few of your points, it still ignores the basics of what I'm getting at.

1. I wasn't talking only about the Wii U launch line up. It seems like most systems have this issue. But you bring up another interesting thing. Yes there are a few ports. People also need to realize that maybe not everyone played these games when they first came out. I know I have yet to play Arkham City or Darksiders 2 and look forward to seeing if those options are best for me. There are some great ports and multiplatform titles in the launch window to go along with exclusives like Mario U, Scribblenauts, Zombie U, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, Lego City Stories, Trine 2 Directors Cut, Toki Tori 2, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Game and Wario, etc. That's just in the first few months with exclusives like Smash Bros and Bayonetta on the horizon after that. There are very few exclusives today, almost everything is multiplatform. That is a LOT of exclusives in such a short period of time. Not even getting into the Tvii and Miiverse stuff which seems to have tons of potential. Seems like plenty to be excited about. If you aren't excited for those...then I get it. People have different tastes and unfortunately there are bound to be people that don't like those. But to say it's bad just comes off as whiny and spoiled.

2.You missed the point of what I was getting at. If you stop and think about what the Virtual Console is, it's amazing! Not saying there aren't other services out there that have more games but not other service can offer you all of Nintendo's best games all in one place. Virtual Console has hundreds of games with dozens of them considered some of the best games of all time. I'm saying people take for granted how great something like this is. Sure I would love to have a dozen new games come out each week. Doesn't change the fact that people seem ungrateful for this service. I wish I had something like this growing up. Just seven short years ago nothing like this even existed! People should appreciate things more.

3.Peoples complaints about Paper Mario seem to be that they changed too much stuff. Same with Other M. Yet when NSMBU comes out they will say it's too similar. The spoiled children will find a way to complain regardless it seems.

I do like what you say, you can always ignore them. I should try that more often lol
#5kjellboyPosted 11/10/2012 4:34:45 AM
Agree on all of your points, except 3. Unless I am mistaken.

Most games even with score under 5,4,3 and 2 can be good. It all comes down to what the gamer/player/person wants.
---
(Steam: lordkjellboy)(PSN: KingKjellboy)(Xfire: kjellboy)(Gamertag: Lord Kjellboy)
#6Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:36:47 AM
kjellboy posted...

Most games even with score under 5,4,3 and 2 can be good. It all comes down to what the gamer/player/person wants.

I agree. Elebits scored mostly 4-6 when it came out and it's one of my favorite Wii games. People just need to try things for themselves and quit relying on "experts" to tell them how to think.
#7Omega_BlackPosted 11/10/2012 4:51:21 AM
Lemmywinks13 posted...
1. I wasn't talking only about the Wii U launch line up. It seems like most systems have this issue.
Well, I single out the Wii U because this is a thread on the Wii U board lol.
However, I do understand that even the longer established PS3 and 360 face the same issue. New game comes out, people play it seemingly briefly, forget it and look forward to the next new game. Unfortunately, video gaming is still treated largely as disposable media. That attitude isn't just going to change overnight. Wii U has it even worse because it features titles that people disposed of weeks, months or even a full year ago.

2.You missed the point of what I was getting at.
I didn't miss the point. I like the VC for what it is. It doesn't change the way I feel about its anemic trickle of games or the fact that XBLA and PSN featured their own mix of retro titles in addition to new, quality content at healthier update rates. It just could have been so much more and maybe with Wii U it will be.

3.Peoples complaints about Paper Mario seem to be that they changed too much stuff. Same with Other M. Yet when NSMBU comes out they will say it's too similar. The spoiled children will find a way to complain regardless it seems.
If one side is pleased, the other is inevitably pissed.
Hell, just look at the aftermath of the US presidential election!
---
Go where the games are...
Brawl FC: 2062 8812 4168
#8kjellboyPosted 11/10/2012 4:54:27 AM
Lemmywinks13 posted...
kjellboy posted...

I agree. Elebits scored mostly 4-6 when it came out and it's one of my favorite Wii games. People just need to try things for themselves and quit relying on "experts" to tell them how to think.

Indeed. Been to quite a few gaming related forums and most tend to buy games only with high scores. Take Borderlands as an example. I lend my accounts to few of my friends and a couple of guys on the web and they were blown by the game. Even Torchlight.

People do rely heavily on ratings alone. While really good games, and experimental ones vanish. Gearbox was lucky with Borderlands. Most gamers seems to not be able to think for them selves, instead they follow the mass.

There is many games out there not receiving the attention those games deserves, even developers which is bad. As games today are mostly copy/paste in terms of gameplay, graphics and even story. Take most FPS games as an example here and RPGs.
---
(Steam: lordkjellboy)(PSN: KingKjellboy)(Xfire: kjellboy)(Gamertag: Lord Kjellboy)
#9DanspurtPosted 11/10/2012 4:59:07 AM(edited)
Lemmywinks13 posted...

I do like what you say, you can always ignore them. I should try that more often lol

That's a pretty bad generalization. The issue here isn't that they changed stuff, it is that they changed stuff for the worse (in people's opinions). I like new experiences as much as the next guy, but some features are just too questionable for me.

As paying customers, we have a right to be picky. We are paying for these experiences. Are you saying movie critics are spoiled because they look into every single detail of the movies they review and are relatively unforgiving regarding negative parts?
Of course not. And the more we play games, the higher our standards get. We've established what we want to pay all that money for and find it pointless to settle for any less.

It's entertainment, and you can't call someone spoiled for wanting quality entertainment for their hard-earned money.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#10Lemmywinks13(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 5:05:51 AM
Danspurt posted...
Lemmywinks13 posted...

That's a pretty bad generalization. The issue here isn't that they changed stuff, it is that they changed stuff for the worse (in people's opinions). I like new experiences as much as the next guy, but some features are just too questionable for me.

As paying customers, we have a right to be picky. We are paying for these experiences. Are you saying movie critics are spoiled because they look into every single detail of the movies they review and are relatively unforgiving regarding negative parts?
Of course not. And the more we play games, the higher our standards get. We've established what we want to pay all that money for and find it pointless to settle for any less.

It's entertainment, and you can't call someone spoiled for wanting quality entertainment for their hard-earned money.

My point is that 8+ rated games are being treated as terrible entertainment. I find that stupid. A movie critic gives a movie 4 out of 5 stars and everyone goes "wow that must be a great movie. A game like Paper Mario gets 4 out of 5 and everyone cancels their preorders lol.