The 2GB of RAM

#11overkillwfo1978Posted 11/10/2012 4:00:08 AM
its_matt posted...
Seems to be the key technical superiority it has over PS3 and Xbox360. It is now down to Nintendo to show us how a lack of RAM has been holding back console gaming. Maybe there will be Something next year?

The 2GB (which is indeed a good amount for a console...) is only part of it. The GPU, if it is actually a rumored variation of the E6760, will WAY outperform the PS360 GPU. Of course we will not see the extra performance much with launch titles, but I bet by the end of this year there will be games with graphical performance that is just not possible on the PS3 or the 360.

Not that this should be a surprise, but just stating an opinion.
---
"Then we figured out that we could just park them in front of the tv, that's how I was raised, and I turned out tv"
#12brainlackPosted 11/10/2012 4:02:21 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
Solis posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Below what standards? PC standards? Yeah, you keep telling yourself that consoles are suppose to be anything close to PCs.

PC, console, or mobile really. It's basically quadruple the amount of RAM from systems that were released 6/7 years ago, yet those systems had increased the RAM from their predecessors by 8x or higher in a shorter amount of time. Even the 3DS was a 32x increase in RAM over the DS (although only 8x if you're including the DSi).

Also 2GB of RAM is already pretty common to see on smartphones or tablets, so it's pretty low for a dedicated game home console where the extra memory is even more important (especially when half of it is siphoned off for general system operation).

So a common trait on one thing is somehow low standard on something else?

What are you smoking? And you do know that adding a crap load of memory the system doesn't need would JACK UP THE PRICE?

I guess you think the PS4 having 8-16GB of RAM (or something) is a good idea.

I for one wanted ps4 just invest in lead solder not lead free and discard the 16 gb ram put 4gigs and it would be all okay
---
because you like to read a sig in a sig so
I wrote a sig(inside a sig)for you to read - Brainlack
#13Lemmywinks13Posted 11/10/2012 4:03:13 AM
Developers would not constantly be praising the system for how much memory it gives them if it was an issue. Get a clue.
#14its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:12:32 AM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
its_matt posted...
Seems to be the key technical superiority it has over PS3 and Xbox360. It is now down to Nintendo to show us how a lack of RAM has been holding back console gaming. Maybe there will be Something next year?

The 2GB (which is indeed a good amount for a console...) is only part of it. The GPU, if it is actually a rumored variation of the E6760, will WAY outperform the PS360 GPU. Of course we will not see the extra performance much with launch titles, but I bet by the end of this year there will be games with graphical performance that is just not possible on the PS3 or the 360.

Not that this should be a surprise, but just stating an opinion.

The GPU seems to be more about visual candy which I like as much as the next person but it seems it will be RAM which gives developers the ability to make larger environments with lots in them. From what I have heard the developers have found the CPU is struggling to handle as much going on as the PS3 and XBOX 360 can though hopefully this is just lack of familiarity with the hardware.
#15MicroOmegaManPosted 11/10/2012 4:36:29 AM
shaunme posted...
wii u has 1gb system reserved? 1gb for gaming ? so really it has a 512mb (half gig ) increase over a 360 ,don't expect much .

Well, first thing first, if it was simply 512 MB more than 360, that's twice as much. Maybe you don't even understand that part, but to be more exact, the 360's 512 MB is split between the OS functionality and games. "OS" would be the same as what you called "system reserved". So 360 has less than 512 for games.

That means for games, the Wii U has more than twice the RAM for it.
That means for OS functionality, for all that stuff that Xbox Live is lauded for, the Wii likely has four times as much RAM for it.

This is not insignificant.
This is capable of "much".
---
If I never reward you with attention, I may see you as a troll.
Buy these: Liberation Maiden, Ace Mathician, Xenoblade, Solatarobo (sequel incoming, get hype)
#16Lemmywinks13Posted 11/10/2012 4:42:18 AM
MicroOmegaMan posted...
shaunme posted...
wii u has 1gb system reserved? 1gb for gaming ? so really it has a 512mb (half gig ) increase over a 360 ,don't expect much .

Well, first thing first, if it was simply 512 MB more than 360, that's twice as much. Maybe you don't even understand that part, but to be more exact, the 360's 512 MB is split between the OS functionality and games. "OS" would be the same as what you called "system reserved". So 360 has less than 512 for games.

That means for OS functionality, for all that stuff that Xbox Live is lauded for, the Wii likely has four times as much RAM for it.

Stop with the logic, you'll hurt them.
#17shaunmePosted 11/10/2012 4:46:20 AM
I Have a standard white wii u pre ordered from shopto.net , but i'm under no illusion that the specs are weak ,poor people feel the need to defend their purchases ,within a year or two tablets will have better specs than the wii u ,but they wont play nintendo exclusives ,peasants .
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb corsair vengence // 3x MSI GTX 680 LIGHTNINGS2gb sli // 850watt ocz gamexstream // 1tb samsung spinpoint //
#18DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/10/2012 4:47:22 AM
MicroOmegaMan posted...
shaunme posted...

360 used, like, less than 40mb for it's OS.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
#19MicroOmegaManPosted 11/10/2012 4:56:11 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Thank you for the comment. I hope you realize this only adds to my comment.
---
If I never reward you with attention, I may see you as a troll.
Buy these: Liberation Maiden, Ace Mathician, Xenoblade, Solatarobo (sequel incoming, get hype)
#20DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/10/2012 4:58:30 AM
MicroOmegaMan posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Thank you for the comment. I hope you realize this only adds to my comment.

450->1gb isn't much more than a 500mb increase.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED