The 2GB of RAM

#51FoppePosted 11/10/2012 11:01:29 AM
shaunme posted...
pikachupwnage posted...
shaunme posted...
wii u has 1gb system reserved? 1gb for gaming ? so really it has a 512mb (half gig ) increase over a 360 ,don't expect much .

Not all of that 512MB was for games on 36o you know. Some was needed for the OS.

correct , but not much of it

The Xbox 360 OS use a 32 MB footprint in the RAM.
The PS3 went from 120 MB to 50 MB.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#52Elements012894Posted 11/10/2012 8:15:41 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Elements012894 posted...
Aren't there different kinds of ram too? I always hear DDR5 and stuff like that. I heard PS3 uses XDR ram.

Should that be taken into account?

Outside of EDram and cache memory, they're all basically the same to this kind of system.
PS3's XDR ram wasn't really anything special.

So for example the 2gigs of ram in the WiiU is the same as the 2gigs in a Samsung phone? Or is it different when it comes to mobiles?
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#53Devil_wings00Posted 11/10/2012 8:45:49 PM
Elements012894 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Elements012894 posted...
Aren't there different kinds of ram too? I always hear DDR5 and stuff like that. I heard PS3 uses XDR ram.

Outside of EDram and cache memory, they're all basically the same to this kind of system.

So for example the 2gigs of ram in the WiiU is the same as the 2gigs in a Samsung phone? Or is it different when it comes to mobiles?

Ram is ram is ram it all serves the same basic function. Some is faster, some is slower and the rest is just semantics. No matter how you slice it, no matter what you try to say, only having 1gb of ram in 2012 is embarrassing. Considering at retail level for a PC (the Wii U is a computer like all consoles so don't give the BS it's not argument) ram is essentially the cheapest part of a computer. A company like Nintendo, bulk ordering hardware, could have put more in with only minor cost increase. At least the GPU has an acceptable amount of Vram but nothing special.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#54abort_missionPosted 11/10/2012 9:24:29 PM
shaunme posted...
Dark_Link92 posted...
shaunme posted...
wii u has 1gb system reserved? 1gb for gaming ? so really it has a 512mb (half gig ) increase over a 360 ,don't expect much .

Surely if a developer got permission from Nintendo to disable suspension and multi-tasking, they could use that extra RAM however they wanted?

i'm not sure but that would be better,also do we know if the gamepads screen affects ram usage in anyway?

of course the controllers will affect the RAM usage. the question is how much?
---
"I speak horse. He's called Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices."
#55Elements012894Posted 11/10/2012 11:26:53 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
Elements012894 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Elements012894 posted...

Ram is ram is ram it all serves the same basic function. Some is faster, some is slower and the rest is just semantics. No matter how you slice it, no matter what you try to say, only having 1gb of ram in 2012 is embarrassing. Considering at retail level for a PC (the Wii U is a computer like all consoles so don't give the BS it's not argument) ram is essentially the cheapest part of a computer. A company like Nintendo, bulk ordering hardware, could have put more in with only minor cost increase. At least the GPU has an acceptable amount of Vram but nothing special.

Your acting like I'm trying to argur that 2gigs of ram is a good thing. I'm just asking questions.
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#56FoppePosted 11/11/2012 12:23:14 AM
Devil_wings00 posted...
Elements012894 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Elements012894 posted...

The difference between a computer and a console is that the console does not have a memoryhogging OS eating resources.
Wii U's 1 GB will all be used by the game, while a PC with 1 GB RAM will have it already filled with Windows and other garbage.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#57googlerPosted 11/11/2012 1:07:03 AM
MicroOmegaMan posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
360 used, like, less than 40mb for it's OS.

Thank you for the comment. I hope you realize this only adds to my comment.

360's OS was actually about 32mb, but that doesn't add anything to the flames since Nintendo is nowhere close to MS in terms of architecture and infrastructure efficiency, nor capabilities. Its not just design either - look how bad PS3's OS slogs behind. Sony isn't completely inept but hell, look at how poorly their smartphones perform, even with similar or sometimes better specs, running a shared OS between other brands, just to make my point, and they're way more advanced than Nintendo is for the most part.
In any case RAM bought in a massive scale would be about $1 a GB....not much to ask for, but then again Nintendo may not also have the same channels to go that cheap.
And to another comment...2gb is not "common" on a smartphone. Most are just hitting 1gb now and RAM on a phone is not the same as RAM in PC's or specialized RAM for gaming devices that are capable of higher bandwidths
#58ChargrilledPosted 11/11/2012 1:11:31 AM
shaunme posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
shaunme posted...

Except for the fact that developers can free up space if they want to, soo....

2gb is still 2gb below todays standards .

And of that 4gb you have a large chunk being eaten by windows and large address aware and/or 64bit games to use over 2gb are thin on the ground.

Yeah 4gbs a killer alright.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#59SolisPosted 11/11/2012 1:39:49 AM
Elements012894 posted...

Smartphones use LPDDR memory, which is basically a smaller and lower power consumption version of DDR RAM. It's usually several years behind the non-mobile RAM variants (for example LPDDR3 was only finalized earlier this year, whereas DDR3 has been around since 2007), but otherwise is largely similar in terms of bandwidth.

Consoles generally use GDDR or similar types rather than regular DDR, which primarily is a better format for GPU utilization. For graphical rendering operations, the memory used in mobile devices are much more limiting than what consoles use (particularly since the framebuffer would need to be drawn on the main system RAM unlike the Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, or even Wii), but for the most part general application performance is similar.

Foppe posted...
The difference between a computer and a console is that the console does not have a memoryhogging OS eating resources.
Wii U's 1 GB will all be used by the game, while a PC with 1 GB RAM will have it already filled with Windows and other garbage.

Well no, that means both platforms have a "memoryhogging OS eating reasources", since both use 1GB of memory to support the system's base functionality. So the situation is fairly similar, given that regardless of whether you have a PC with 2GB or a Wii U with 2GB, the OS is utilizing half of it.

Although the difference would be that RAM used by the OS in a PC can be stored off in Virtual RAM if it hasn't been accessed recently, so even on a 2GB system games could easily utilize over 1GB of physical memory regardless of whether the OS originally took up 1GB. On the Wii U however, the 1GB of RAM used by the OS will NEVER be able to be freed up unless Nintendo specifically frees up a set amount at a later point through firmware updates (and even then, it wouldn't benefit any previously released games since they'd all be made to work within the constraints of 1GB).

Note that 1GB for a PC OS is a very excessive expectation to begin with however, a proper OS install should use around 500MB or less. Most of the time anything above that will be used for caching, which is only for increasing the performance of launching applications and that RAM is automatically freed up whenever applications require more physical RAM than what's available.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#60DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/11/2012 2:20:46 AM(edited)
Foppe posted...
Devil_wings00 posted...
Elements012894 posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Elements012894 posted...

Actually, a PC with 2GB of RAM(same amount as Wii U) can dedicate ~1.5gb, maybe a little more to games. That's with an average set of programs running in the background.
So, it's actually worse than with the PC.
And those numbers are pulled from my own experiences with windows 7 and 2GB of RAM.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED