I hope software updates aren't done how they are on PS3

#1blinkfreakPosted 11/11/2012 2:56:35 PM
I don't know how Xbox 360 handles them but I really hate the way things are done on PS3. I hate how If I pop in a game I have to download 45 billion patches. Or whenever I download software I have to spend 45 minutes doing updates before it will run.

As an example, I got my PS3 really late in the life cycle (got it about a year ago). I install the Netflix app thinking I would be able to start watching movies but no. I have to sit through a bunch of updates. Why wasn't the most recent version installed?

And last night I downloaded the Double Dragon Neon demo and when I go to play it, I have to download an update. Why wasn't the latest version downloaded?

I'm sure it is either for security reasons or so that you just update the files that need to be updated but why isn't that automatically done when you download something or why aren't all patches downloaded and installed at the same time like a service pack or something? I hate downloading, installing, then updating, then another update, then another update, then another update.

/blogfaqs /rant

TLDR: I just needed something to complain about while waiting for the 18th.
#2x2link777Posted 11/11/2012 3:02:51 PM(edited)
Yeah Sony really dropped the ball on the patching process, one of the reasons I prefer the 360 over PS3 was MS was smart and made it so its one patch only, not having to dl a crapton of stuff. That and 360's patches are always smaller, compared to PS3s which can be huge, so not only is there less time downloading patches, theres less time spent actually downloading. Heres hoping Nintendo took a page or two or ten out of MS's book.
---
I am the most fiendish terror that flaps in the darkest night. I am the skunk that pollutes your air. I am Negaduck!!
#3Enigma149Posted 11/11/2012 3:03:16 PM
x2link777 posted...
Yeah Sony really dropped the ball on the patching process, one of the reasons I prefer the 360 over PS3 as MS was smart ad made it so its one patch only, not having to dl a crapton of stuff. That and 360's patches are always small, compared to PS3s which can be huge, so not only is there less time downloading patches, theres less time spent actually downloading. Heres hoping Nintendo took a page or two or ten out of MS's book.

I actually prefer the way Sony has it. That way, if there's a problem, the developer has no reason not to fix it.

Of course, most modern developers are arrogant and lazy, so whatever problems may exist rarely get fixed, anyway (I'm looking at you, Bethesda).
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#4Board_hunter567Posted 11/11/2012 3:04:52 PM
I think Guitar Hero installed the latest Wii firmware automatically upon start. Pretty sure 3DS has some weird way of installing firmware too, either through games or by standby mode. But that's not really comparative to the PS3 patches I guess.
#5blinkfreak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 3:09:20 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
I think Guitar Hero installed the latest Wii firmware automatically upon start. Pretty sure 3DS has some weird way of installing firmware too, either through games or by standby mode. But that's not really comparative to the PS3 patches I guess.

I am more concerned with software updates, not system updates. I don't have an issue with how Wii, PS3, or 3DS does system updates. My only gripe is that you can't use the eshop without updating on 3DS or Nexflix on PS3. I'm okay with it though because they usually aren't huge downloads but when I want to play a game I don't want to download 12 patches when I could have downloaded 1.
#6stekim40Posted 11/11/2012 3:12:29 PM
What rubbish..

I have a ps3 and yes, sometimes there are patches but it only takes seconds to download them. Perhaps its time for you to drop the dial-up 56k modem and get broadband.
---
Playing: Xcom:EU, Dishonoured, Borderlands 2, F1 2012
Waiting for: ELITE 4 (still), GTA V, Far Cry 3, Dragon Age 3
#7cutegamebabePosted 11/11/2012 3:15:08 PM
I agree; PS3 updates are the worst. There have been so many updates that have failed to complete for me over and over again. Some will get nearly all the way to the end before they fail, and when they are successful, it seems random.

I've never had this problem once with my 360. Although the updates are frequent, they are quick, and they always work. I hope the Wii u/ behaves in a similar way.
---
"Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis. When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this"
www.jefunhouse.com
#8Vincent137Posted 11/11/2012 3:52:34 PM
TC netflix only has two downloads: The app itself and the patch. No big problems. I do agree that some games have horrible patch downloads(like modnation racers) but you don't have to download them unless you want to play online.
#9GLDanzegoPosted 11/11/2012 4:11:38 PM
Systems that are sitting on store shelves don't update themselves. That's why your PS3 didn't have the latest update on it. :p

I do agree that the updating system drives me crazy on the PS3. I don't play it a whole lot, but every time I do or merely try to visit the PSN store, I have to sit there and apply updates (which, in the case of PSN, is mandatory). With my Internet connection beig as bad as it is, I generally just say "Forget about it!" And turn the darn thing off.
#10EbonMagicianPosted 11/11/2012 4:15:59 PM
Enigma149 posted...
x2link777 posted...
Yeah Sony really dropped the ball on the patching process, one of the reasons I prefer the 360 over PS3 as MS was smart ad made it so its one patch only, not having to dl a crapton of stuff. That and 360's patches are always small, compared to PS3s which can be huge, so not only is there less time downloading patches, theres less time spent actually downloading. Heres hoping Nintendo took a page or two or ten out of MS's book.

I actually prefer the way Sony has it. That way, if there's a problem, the developer has no reason not to fix it.

Of course, most modern developers are arrogant and lazy, so whatever problems may exist rarely get fixed, anyway (I'm looking at you, Bethesda).

sony gives developers 1 free time for them to upload patches to fix their games. every patch after that costs something over $20,000. so I really don't think it's the developers being lazy, Sony just chargers way too much to let developers patch their games.
---
3DS FC: Lotaphi 1118-1539-9491 --- Vita PSN: Bernkestel
message me if you add me