I hope software updates aren't done how they are on PS3

#11Tempest717Posted 11/11/2012 3:20:23 PM
I agree with this, I think I had to wait an hour before I got to play either Sleeping Dogs or Dark Souls when I got them a few weeks ago.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#12LinetrixPosted 11/11/2012 3:22:21 PM(edited)
I don't know how Xbox 360 handles them but I really hate the way things are done on PS3. I hate how If I pop in a game I have to download 45 billion patches.

Because it's Sony's fault if developers want to correct glitches or update something.

Edit: it's the exactly same way on the 360 and on PCs. Why would it be different?

Or whenever I download software I have to spend 45 minutes doing updates before it will run.

Another user said it already, but you should upgrade your 56K connection.

And last night I downloaded the Double Dragon Neon demo and when I go to play it, I have to download an update. Why wasn't the latest version downloaded?

Uhh, updates are a whole different thing from demos.

I'm sure it is either for security reasons or so that you just update the files that need to be updated but why isn't that automatically done when you download something or why aren't all patches downloaded and installed at the same time like a service pack or something?

Because time machines don't exist. How can you download future updates?

I hate downloading, installing, then updating, then another update, then another update, then another update.

So you prefer Nintendo systems: full of glitches and constantly freezing.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#13omescythePosted 11/11/2012 3:56:33 PM
either way you spending about the same amount of time waiting to download 1 large patch for the latest version or several small patches to get to the latest version. the benifit to having the multi patches download 1 at a time is that you don't have to get everything at once if you want say quit downloading in the middle of it. ie 3/6 patches are downlaod/installed and you quit then come back later all you have to download and install is 3 patches. if it was all 1 patch then you have to wait for it to be completly download and installed.
#14Enigma149Posted 11/11/2012 4:02:54 PM(edited)
Aside from Linetrix's last point, I have to agree with him.

On that last point, one of the joys of Nintendo systems, or at least Nintendo games, is that they very rarely have major glitches. There are, of course, exceptions: Skyward Sword had the infamous "No Fire Dragon" glitch, while Mario Kart 7 had a few shortcut exploits. Luckily, both of these were corrected, the former within a week.

And, of course, it is possible to hate having to download patches without hating the concept: I, for example, love patches when there're glitches...but it'd be better if the glitches weren't there to begin with.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#15blinkfreak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 7:53:58 PM
Wow I don't know if you guys just misunderstood what I was saying or what.

I have 10Mbps down (not the fastest out there but way above dial up)

Obviously a system sitting on a shelf won't update itself

I have no problem with updates or patches

My issue is that with PS3, I download an app/game/demo, and instead of downloading the latest version including the patches, I download the app/game/demo then after it installs I have to download a patch, then after that patch installs I have to download another patch, and so on. This has nothing to do with internet speed or not wanting developers to fix things, it is an issue with how the patches are implemented.
#16LinetrixPosted 11/11/2012 9:20:38 PM
blinkfreak posted...

My issue is that with PS3, I download an app/game/demo, and instead of downloading the latest version including the patches, I download the app/game/demo then after it installs I have to download a patch, then after that patch installs I have to download another patch, and so on. This has nothing to do with internet speed or not wanting developers to fix things, it is an issue with how the patches are implemented.

You are still mistaking an update with a demo. What probably happened is that your PS3 hadn't been updated for a while, then you downloaded a demo and then, in order to play it, you had to download the latest firmware since an older firmware wouldn't work with that demo. Had you downloaded the update before, you wouldn't need to download it after trying to play the demo.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#17evecharmevePosted 11/11/2012 9:45:20 PM
PS3 updates are TERRIBLE
Just a damn system firmware update takes 5 minutes to download the thing, and another 5 to install it, then restart the system on you. And you can expect that every 2 to 3 weeks, and about once a month expect to not be able to get on the network for a day and a half.

360 is at least quick with and and not as annoying, but really for something people pay 60 bucks a year for, and by people it's what 10 million memberships? It's pretty crappy to charge devs $20,000 to be able to release a patch for a game, a game I'm sure some of your 60 dollar a year members are playing.

Also popping Resistance 3 in for the first time is like popping world of warcraft in for the first time, don't expect to be playing it any time that night.
#18blinkfreak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 5:45:34 PM
Linetrix posted...
blinkfreak posted...

You are still mistaking an update with a demo. What probably happened is that your PS3 hadn't been updated for a while, then you downloaded a demo and then, in order to play it, you had to download the latest firmware since an older firmware wouldn't work with that demo. Had you downloaded the update before, you wouldn't need to download it after trying to play the demo.

No, because you can't even get into the store until you have the latest firmware and the update said it was for double dragon and it was 26MB and I assume the system updates are larger.

It isn't just double dragon, it has happened multiple times with multiple software titles.
#19ElectricMolePosted 11/13/2012 5:46:24 PM
wiiU has 24 hour connect doesnt it?

it might update our systems while in sleep mode.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#20mnemeth2005Posted 11/13/2012 5:54:48 PM
One of my favorite features of PS+ is the patches that download at 4am when I'm not playing. Same with system updates.
---
Narcoleptic Driver behind the wheel.