Warning to anyone who has NEVER owned an HD gaming system before

#101LinetrixPosted 11/13/2012 9:22:20 AM
StinkySkunkGirl posted...
darkjedilink posted...
I love how TC just assumes that "Nintendo-only fans" all have SDTV's.

By breakdown, Wii owners are more likely to own HDTV's than the other console owners, because HDTV's are mainstream, and are therefore desired by casuals as a status symbol.

Wow, what a hideous comment. I think it's best for all of us if I avoid commenting on the majority of the nonsensical tripe you posted, and focus on your ending statement.

In case you haven't gone outside lately, HDTV's aren't a status symbol anymore. They haven't been for some time. The fact that they're "mainstream" (which you seem to associate with "casuals", which I can only assume is part of some deeper psychological problem) and affordable means they're commonplace, which is the exact opposite of a status symbol.

Waiting rooms, thrift stores, McDonalds... yes, even McDonald's has better TVs than some of the people in this topic. They're affordable enough that some thrift stores I've gone to use multiple LCDs as displays throughout the store.

Of course, you are a troll, so my words are wasted on you. Hopefully this post proves more helpful to others than it will be to yourself.

Oh, don't worry. Everyone in this board has heard of the troll DJL before. His fame precedes him.

Did you know Red Dead Redemption and Shadow of the Colossus are Zelda rip-offs because you travel on horses in those games just like in Zelda? Did you know SATA HDDs are the cause of overheating failures in the older models of the PS3? Did you know that the PS3 doesn't play PS1 discs??

Yep, it's true. Ask him.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#102IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/13/2012 9:43:15 AM
Yeah, DJL is a notorious fantroll here.
#103leeko_linkPosted 11/13/2012 10:18:39 AM
NettoSaito posted...
... and who also do not own an HDTV

Ok so I just posted this here,

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64604491?page=3

but it got me thinking... This is something that not many Nintendo fans may actually know, and it is a very important piece of information which WILL be an issue for many of you. Now I know some of you wont want to believe what I have to say, but you can ask anyone else who has ever owned a 360 or PS3, and they can tell you the same thing... You WILL have problems with HD games on a SD tv. (Especially with games that are coded for wide screen support only. Games such as Assassin's Creed 3, and Ninja Gaiden 3.)

I'll just recopy what I posted in the above link...

The big problem a LOT of people will be running into with the Wii U, is that a lot of them are Nintendo only fans, and because of that they don't understand how big the jump from standard to HD will be. Not because of the graphics, but because of what your TV supports.

Back when I got my 360, I didn't have an HD TV. I had both a small (30 or so inch) TV, and a 50 or so inch, and neither one of them would work for my games. Simply because how the games were set up, the text was basically unreadable in most games (try playing an RPG such as Star Ocean when you can't even read the text), and other games I had problems with the menus. Sure games like Halo 3 were fine since I didn't have to read, but even racing games were hard to play simply because I didn't know what I was upgrading when I upgraded my cars.

Standard TVs do NOT mix very well with HD games. It's one problem many people have had to learn the HARD way, and both current HD consoles have been effected by it.

Same thing can be said for HD TVs playing older games as well though. Older consoles that use a light gun to play games won't work on HD tvs (no Duck Hunt NES), and a lot of games have resolution problems. Older games tend to be blurry on HD screens, and you may even have a hard time reading the text there as well.

Ya know, this would be way more helpful back in say 2005.
#104TerotrousPosted 11/13/2012 10:20:06 AM
Realistically, I doubt there's anyone who hasn't seen an HDTV by now.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GEN Alien Soldier"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#105Hejiru206Posted 11/13/2012 10:23:23 AM
I'm one of the so-called SDTV noobs. I've never had an HD TV because I've never had a reason to; I didn't get the PS3 or 360, and I don't watch actual TV often enough to care about the difference. It's rather condescending how people are acting so surprised that "OMG people actually still have SDTVs!? I feel sorry for those poor idiots stuck in the past, lolol." Believe it or not, there are those of us who don't obsess over graphics.

The above is directed at some of the people in this topic, not the TC. I don't think TC was being rude or anything; sounds more to me like he was trying to warn the people (like me) who would have been blindsided by this on Day 1. I knew playing the Wii U on an SDTV wouldn't look as pretty, but I didn't think it would be so bad that I couldn't read the text. So stop harping on him when he's trying to do people a favor.

I had been thinking about getting an HDTV now that I'll have an HD console, but I didn't consider it that big a priority. Also, I was waiting to see what the Black Friday deals looked like. My only concern is this:

NettoSaito posted...
Same thing can be said for HD TVs playing older games as well though. Older consoles that use a light gun to play games won't work on HD tvs (no Duck Hunt NES), and a lot of games have resolution problems. Older games tend to be blurry on HD screens, and you may even have a hard time reading the text there as well.

I play older games a lot, like N64 and Gamecube. Is it really that bad?

Also, I have another question. Is 720p adequate or should I go ahead and spring for 1080p? How noticeable is the difference?
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#106FullmetalChildPosted 11/13/2012 10:48:35 AM
I have bad memories of trying to play Disgaea 3 on an SDTV. *shudder*
---
Never pet a Castform on a summer day.
Currently playing: Jak 3, Mass Effect 2
#107DTY3Posted 11/13/2012 10:55:50 AM
darkjedilink posted...
I love how TC just assumes that "Nintendo-only fans" all have SDTV's.

By breakdown, Wii owners are more likely to own HDTV's than the other console owners, because HDTV's are mainstream, and are therefore desired by casuals as a status symbol.

This topic begs to differ wth everything you just said.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#1081shadetail1Posted 11/13/2012 11:02:55 AM
Hejiru206 posted...
I'm one of the so-called SDTV noobs. I've never had an HD TV because I've never had a reason to; I didn't get the PS3 or 360, and I don't watch actual TV often enough to care about the difference. It's rather condescending how people are acting so surprised that "OMG people actually still have SDTVs!? I feel sorry for those poor idiots stuck in the past, lolol." Believe it or not, there are those of us who don't obsess over graphics.

The above is directed at some of the people in this topic, not the TC. I don't think TC was being rude or anything; sounds more to me like he was trying to warn the people (like me) who would have been blindsided by this on Day 1. I knew playing the Wii U on an SDTV wouldn't look as pretty, but I didn't think it would be so bad that I couldn't read the text. So stop harping on him when he's trying to do people a favor.

I had been thinking about getting an HDTV now that I'll have an HD console, but I didn't consider it that big a priority. Also, I was waiting to see what the Black Friday deals looked like. My only concern is this:

NettoSaito posted...

I play older games a lot, like N64 and Gamecube. Is it really that bad?

Also, I have another question. Is 720p adequate or should I go ahead and spring for 1080p? How noticeable is the difference?

Older games always looked blocky and pixelated, even on old style SD sets. You can see the blocky graphics more clearly on an HDTV, obviously, but it's really not any worse, as long as you like the art style. My opinion, of course.

Also, I'd strongly recommend waiting a few months before buying an HDTV. On Black Friday, the deals are almost always for bad and/or old HDTVs they're trying to get rid of. Early next year, newer models with slightly better features will come out.

Also, whether to go with a 1080p model or a 720p model depends on how important graphical fidelity is to you. As long as you are sitting an average TV-viewing distance away from your set, the difference between 720p and 1080p is nearly invisible, though still definitely noticeable. (As a general rule of thumb, your viewing distance should be three times the diagonal length of your TV. So, for example, if your TV is a 40-inch, you should be sitting 120 inches (10 feet) away.) If you want that small but noticeable improvement in detail and clarity, then definitely go for 1080p.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#109MozzezzPosted 11/14/2012 3:41:57 AM
I want to add a few more details about my laptop monitor...

1. It has LED back lighting (the bad kind where it's always on, not the good kind that has ways of determining which spots should be lit, called LED Matrix back lighting.)

2. I actually made a mistake and it can only go up to a resolution of 1600x900 (though if something is formatted in a higher resolution it can display it, but it probably modifies it)

3. The hard plastic screen has a Brightview coating (meaning you can see it better in bright areas (including sunlight but it still has problems when it gets too bright)

4. It's native resolution is 720 (This has to do with something called a fixed raster, which LCDs and Plasmas have, but CRTs don't. This means, though they can still display more then their native resolution both higher and lower, LCDs and Plasmas are less flexible with the resolutions they can display since the quality will get worse as you get further away from the native resolution (there are some technicalities with this), where as CRTs don't have this problem. The raster being fixed means they have to use a special method called scaling to get the other resolutions, which I think is a type of guess work as to where the pixels should go and probably their exact size, where as if the raster wasn't fixed, when the picture information gets sent to the monitor, the raster would be able to plot it exactyl, both position and size.. I think the raster is software and/or hardware that's used to sort the signal out in the monitor before it goes to the actual screen

I used to think native resolution had to do with a fixed mount of physical pixels on the physical screen, then I thought it was the scan lines, but I think I finally pretty much have this sorted out now. It should be noted though that Plasmas do have a fixed amount of physical pixels on the physical screen (I thought LCDs did too but now I don't think they do), and also, from what I know, Plasmas are not progressive or interlaced, but rather the whole picture appears on the screen at the same time. (Also,all of this stuff has physical properties, but by physical, I don't mean things like signals or the things/information displayed on the screen.))
---
SSBB Friend Code: 3823-8247-5632
#110MozzezzPosted 11/14/2012 3:42:10 AM
BlueStormDragoN posted...
JacobARF posted...
Wii U will support the Wii cables, and therefore you will be able to play on a non-HD TV and still be able to read

I didn't see this when I posted, so let me address it now.

It will support the wii cable but will have no effect on text readability, if connected to a SDTV of any kind.

The SD in SDTV means standard definition, which provides 480 lines horizontally, while the minimum horizontal lines count for HD (high definition) is 720.

If a text is written on a small dot matrix for a 720 display , then it is going to be very hard to read when displayed on only 480 lines, because there will not be enough lines to properly display the letters.
(example of what I mean here: http://licn.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/dot-matrix-average-of-dots-john-dunn-consultant-ambertec-pe-pc.html)

Thankfully, most games do not have such small text that it becomes impossible to read in SD and you are not going to encounter that regularly but, there are games that suffer from it and some have been named in this topic already. I will add the original dead rising as one that gave me a VERY hard time, personally.

I am guessing that third-party games should be more likely to have this problem than any Nintendo-branded games, because of the usual graphic style of these games, calling for cutesy big text.

This post really helped me out since it got me thinking on a few things. See, I thought there were two main text problems, one that had to do with HD and one that had to do with Size of the Screen. I don't think the size one actually exists though, and I think they could both be classified under the "HD Problem"(which I should probably label better), since , when you don't even look at anything HD, monitors should still have more scan lines then TVs, and I think that's what actually caused my problems with a game that should be using the VGA to Monitor standard for scan lines that I converted to run through my non VGA TV.(The resolution I was running the game at was 800x600 btw). If I'm wrong about this please correct me, this really matters cause I may be able to get away with one all in one display device, aside from some of the other problems listed in this topic, but then I'd probably have room for an "SD Display."
---
SSBB Friend Code: 3823-8247-5632