Warning to anyone who has NEVER owned an HD gaming system before

#31nonexistingheroPosted 11/12/2012 8:58:34 PM
NettoSaito posted...
hellbringher posted...
Played my 360 on a sdtv for 3 years. While the text was small I never once stopped playing because of it.

Keep trying TC. Here's a shovel keep digging.

You just proved my point. Although I'm guessing you never played any RPGs.

Also it depends how old the SDTV is as well. For example ones from the late 80s and early 90s may not even work at all. Like I said, I have a friend who had to get a new TV simply because his PS3 would NOT work on his standard. You would turn on the system, be greeted by a blurry screen, and that's all there was to it. You couldn't make out the XMB icons, and games were unplayable. The thing still works fine for his older systems, such as his N64 or even PS2, but his PS3 was flat out unplayable.

I'm not saying that everyone here has a TV from 80s or early 90s, but I'm sure some do.

Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, Resonance of Fate and Infinite Undiscovery all plays fine on an SDTV (the latter 2 did have some text issues for parts, but they were still very playable and everything important was still readable).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#32mike_411Posted 11/12/2012 9:00:54 PM
*Sighs*
It's like people are plugging their ears.

I always hear about how Nintendo fans are always the "victims" when they go to the Vita board but the people in this topic...are either incredibly stubborn or just butthurt about other threads to take this one seriously.

I had an SDTV when I purchased the ps3. A lot of the games worked just perfectly...except for games like the Elder Scrolls. I could play it surs but I couldn't read stats, text or even how much health I had. Yes ypu can still play. TC is just warning you that some games WILL be a problem and that you should be prepared for it.

The reason TC is acting like a troll is because you guys are just trolling.
---
"Peace is trolling!" Mentality of Gamefaqs mods
-Blazblue Chrono Phantasma! :D
#33Baha05Posted 11/12/2012 9:01:42 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
I feel bad for anyone that still owns an SDTV in 2012 for modern gaming.

Why? Like it was said, text is about the only real issue and small text is pretty much an issue even on HD TVs. It's not like a SDTV somehow makes an HD system pointless to own.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#34hyruler461Posted 11/12/2012 9:04:08 PM
I agree with the most part of the TC. when I first got my PS3 I didn't get an HDTV until 3 months later. The games were all playable but it wasn't until I tried AC 2 on my HDTV when I realized how much easier it was to read the minimap and all the text. Yes you can still play the games, but having a HDTV will just make your life easier when playing HD games.
#35nonexistingheroPosted 11/12/2012 9:05:00 PM
Coop14 posted...
Jesus Christ this is sad. TC is trying to help, provides PROOF and so many of you act like damn middle school brats.

TC thank you for trying to help others. It's ashame so many posters cant grasp te concept they need to act more there age and less there manly parts size.

He's not trying to help. He's saying "get with the f***ing times, buy an HDTV because most developers won't bother to adjust the text for you." I mean, seriously, let people for themselves decide about that. If they want to whine about small text, let them. Rare was kind enough to make a patch of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and that wouldn't have happened if people didn't think it was an issue. And I'm fairly certain Platinum Games included that option in Vanquish, because of all of the whining about small text. Because you see, some developers really do care that all of their fans are satisfied.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#36IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/12/2012 9:06:42 PM
small text is pretty much an issue even on HD TVs.

No it's not.
#37DTY3Posted 11/12/2012 9:06:50 PM
Yeah TC I tried playing Tales of Vesperia on a huge SDTV...
It was dreadful. Could barely read anything. Whenever I used a Magic Lens to view enemy HP...well I couldn't even see it.

Also Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was TERRIBLE. I think they even put in a text enlargement patch.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#38Virtue777Posted 11/12/2012 9:08:18 PM
The TC brings up a lot of great points. I can definitely understand some folks can't afford both an HD console and an HDTV. What I recommend is grabbing yourself a cheap, small HDTV or a used HDTV. You can score one for $100, perhaps less with black Friday sales on the horizon. It's a world of difference. Put off buying a couple games, and put that money towards an HDTV.
#39Baha05Posted 11/12/2012 9:10:32 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
No it's not.

Yeah it is, some games do have way too small text. It's rare but it does happen. The fact of the matter is an HD consoles played on a decent sized SDTV isn't going to kill anyone outside text issues which is an issue with a few games.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#40manjiPosted 11/12/2012 9:25:44 PM(edited)
i tried to play Battlefield 3 on my SDTV before i got my HDTV and yes the difference is quite staggering. literally felt like playing an entirely different game. get HDTV before you get your Wii U and i guarantee you'll enjoy your games more (if you don't have one already, because they are incredibly affordable now).

BF3 was developed as a widescreen, HD display, so when i played on my SDTV, it chopped the top and bottom of the screen with black bars, making the viewing area even smaller.

not every game is BF3 but it's something to think about.