Warning to anyone who has NEVER owned an HD gaming system before

#71dennis941012Posted 11/13/2012 12:34:01 AM
why buy tv when you got HD laptop :O
i mean it isn't big but at least I can play the game in HD
just buy $20 cable to connect wii U to laptop
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
My favorite person on the board--->http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#72StinkySkunkGirlPosted 11/13/2012 12:37:53 AM
The Wii may not have been HD, but that doesn't mean it wasn't intended for HDTVs. Countless games support widescreen, and once you play something like New Super Mario Bros Wii in widescreen, there's no going back.

Even more significant is Monster Hunter Tri. I tried to play it on an older TV. Even with an old widescreen, it was absolutely horrible. If you can actually make out the text without an HDTV and component cables, go ahead and buy the Wii U. Otherwise, I'd have second thoughts if I were you.

Of course, GameFAQs is full of morons and always has been. I saw the "Nintendo fans are crazy" topic earlier today. It's amazing there are still people out there who have a Wii and are considering the Wii U, yet have no interest in an HDTV. If you can actually tolerate playing HD gaming on an SDTV, I think you're more messed up than I am, but more power to you.

Honestly, though. If you have more than five Wii games and any PS2 games that support 480p, 16:9, or one of the rare few games that supports 1080p (Gran Turismo 4, which looks incredibly good in 1080p by PS2 standards), you really ought to put your entertainment budget towards a decent modern TV.

You can get a great, high-quality and fairly large set for $400-$500 all year round, but Black Friday is coming up. That's chump change compared to how much these things used to be just a decade ago. They're affordable now. Unless you haven't bought a new system since the Gamecube came out, you don't do a lot of gaming or TV watching, or you're too broke to invest a few hundred towards substantially upgrading your entertainment system (in which case a Wii U, PS3, or Xbox 360 should definitely be the last things on your wishlist), there's really no excuse.

Your handhelds and laptops are using LCD displays. Chances are, most of your desktops are too. Why you would deny yourself a modern day television for modern day gaming is something I couldn't possibly begin to understand. It's like having 1,000 songs and a pair of $5 headphones, or playing beautiful looking games like Crysis on minimum settings.

Sure, you can still hear and enjoy the music, and graphics aren't everything, but if you love music, $50 will make all of your music listening nicer and more comfortable, and while I have absolutely no problem enjoying old-school graphics, even ASCII, when you have a game that has stellar graphics and you play it on low settings, you are missing out on part of the experience, and if you can't appreciate that, if you truly and honestly think it's "just as good", I've got to say, I feel damn sorry for you.
---
If you like the way I smell, just stand behind me!
#73TrueBlue91Posted 11/13/2012 1:00:25 AM
StinkySkunkGirl posted...
...when you have a game that has stellar graphics and you play it on low settings, you are missing out on part of the experience, and if you can't appreciate that, if you truly and honestly think it's "just as good", I've got to say, I feel damn sorry for you.

Whatever happened to all the "Nintendo games, in HD! That's why I want WiiU, that's why it's epic!"
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#74y3kmanPosted 11/13/2012 1:06:20 AM
The Wii U comes with an HDMI cable. That should already warn people not to buy it if they have an SDTV.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6997-7741 ; PSN: y3kman
Currently playing: One Piece: Pirate Warriors
#75garlog64Posted 11/13/2012 1:10:27 AM
Fierce_Deity777 posted...
You guys need to try playing Skyrim on a Standard Def TV. He's not exaggerating. The text is an absolute nightmare to read, bordering on completely illegible a good 80% of the time. AND parts of the screen get cut off. Taking menu options with it. Pushed me over the edge to upgrade to an HDTV. Wasn't really that expensive either. Managed to find a great 1080p tv (either led or lcd. Whichever one of the two is better) for only about $150-170 and the difference was astronomical.

I actually had a harder time reading Oblivion's text. Also, the screen getting cut off is more the quality of the TV than it being standard definition.
---
"Eternal chaos comes with chocolate rain. CHOCOLATE. RAIN!" Pinkie Pie
Royal Weapons Smith of the OoT 3D board
#76PinkIcePopPosted 11/13/2012 1:17:56 AM
You guys are all real jerks.

I agree with TC. I wouldn't quite call them unplayable, as I played a 360 on a standard def TV for 4 years, but you ARE disillusioning yourself if you think there isn't an enormous difference.

Missing the widescreen is actually a pretty big problem. I tried playing Dark Souls on a SDTV, and gave up immediately.

TC is also right about the text. You can keep saying that you don't care about it, but you will when you're trying to navigate menus or change settings or weapons or the like in blurry and cramped windows.

Most importantly, seriously, stop being so nasty.
---
http://www.facebook.com/atlasatlast
#77KoffSyrupPosted 11/13/2012 1:24:36 AM
The Wii may not have been HD, but that doesn't mean it wasn't intended for HDTVs. Countless games support widescreen, and once you play something like New Super Mario Bros Wii in widescreen, there's no going back.

Even more significant is Monster Hunter Tri. I tried to play it on an older TV. Even with an old widescreen, it was absolutely horrible. If you can actually make out the text without an HDTV and component cables, go ahead and buy the Wii U. Otherwise, I'd have second thoughts if I were you.

Of course, GameFAQs is full of morons and always has been. I saw the "Nintendo fans are crazy" topic earlier today. It's amazing there are still people out there who have a Wii and are considering the Wii U, yet have no interest in an HDTV. If you can actually tolerate playing HD gaming on an SDTV, I think you're more messed up than I am, but more power to you.

Honestly, though. If you have more than five Wii games and any PS2 games that support 480p, 16:9, or one of the rare few games that supports 1080p (Gran Turismo 4, which looks incredibly good in 1080p by PS2 standards), you really ought to put your entertainment budget towards a decent modern TV.

You can get a great, high-quality and fairly large set for $400-$500 all year round, but Black Friday is coming up. That's chump change compared to how much these things used to be just a decade ago. They're affordable now. Unless you haven't bought a new system since the Gamecube came out, you don't do a lot of gaming or TV watching, or you're too broke to invest a few hundred towards substantially upgrading your entertainment system (in which case a Wii U, PS3, or Xbox 360 should definitely be the last things on your wishlist), there's really no excuse.

Your handhelds and laptops are using LCD displays. Chances are, most of your desktops are too. Why you would deny yourself a modern day television for modern day gaming is something I couldn't possibly begin to understand. It's like having 1,000 songs and a pair of $5 headphones, or playing beautiful looking games like Crysis on minimum settings.

Sure, you can still hear and enjoy the music, and graphics aren't everything, but if you love music, $50 will make all of your music listening nicer and more comfortable, and while I have absolutely no problem enjoying old-school graphics, even ASCII, when you have a game that has stellar graphics and you play it on low settings, you are missing out on part of the experience, and if you can't appreciate that, if you truly and honestly think it's "just as good", I've got to say, I feel damn sorry for you.

1000 times this.
---
Everybody was willing to forget about it but not me. I did some snooping around, found some chow hound had made a wax impression of the ice box key.
#78Chops_de_PorkPosted 11/13/2012 1:26:55 AM

I think I'd rather be an easy to please customer that's happy with his SDTV than some negative nancy that has to look down on people because they don't feel the need to upgrade. But hey if being a pretentious jerk makes you happy, more power to you!
#79fuzi11Posted 11/13/2012 1:31:16 AM
why do you assume Nintendo only players only have SDTVs?
#80sonicfanaticjtbPosted 11/13/2012 1:36:30 AM
Just as long as the wii u doesn't make my tv asplode, I'm good!

In all seriousness, my mom has an hd tv, so if worse comes to worse, I can just borrow it for Zelda and what not 'till I can afford to buy a new tv... Or make use of that handy feature to play games on the wii u gamepad....

dennis941012 posted...
why buy tv when you got HD laptop :O
i mean it isn't big but at least I can play the game in HD
just buy $20 cable to connect wii U to laptop

......... Or do this 0_o
---
Krystal and Phoenix Wright for Smash 4!
... Please, Sakurai?