Warning to anyone who has NEVER owned an HD gaming system before

#91MozzezzPosted 11/13/2012 5:49:33 AM
JacobARF posted...
Wii U will support the Wii cables, and therefore you will be able to play on a non-HD TV and still be able to read

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that also in my post just as some extra info.
---
SSBB Friend Code: 3823-8247-5632
#92MozzezzPosted 11/13/2012 5:52:16 AM
Oh one more thing I forgot, for the people who want to plug their Wii U into their laptop monitor, with most laptops, you can't run things through the actual laptop monitor, or into the laptop in any way that you could get it to display on the monitor.
---
#93BlueStormDragoNPosted 11/13/2012 5:56:18 AM
I played on the X360 for a year or so, using a 27 inches sdtv and most of the games are very playable, with only a few issues.

You will come across some that are bordering on unplayable from time to time, though.
Some games have specific things you need to do and they give you instructions on-screen with some text. Not being able to read the text can mean not having the information to go further and needing some help.

For 4:3 aspect ratio tv, some games might also have some missing info that would have been on the outer edge of the screen, but in many cases, there are display option that can prevent this from being a huge problem

For the most part, things should be fine for sdtv owners, with the occasional very frustrating moments. It certainly shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying an HD console but, some specific games will come with extra limitations and frustrations.
---
http://FoldedWilderness.deviantart.com/
#94MozzezzPosted 11/13/2012 6:42:26 AM
BlueStormDragoN posted...
I played on the X360 for a year or so, using a 27 inches sdtv and most of the games are very playable, with only a few issues.

You will come across some that are bordering on unplayable from time to time, though.
Some games have specific things you need to do and they give you instructions on-screen with some text. Not being able to read the text can mean not having the information to go further and needing some help.

For 4:3 aspect ratio tv, some games might also have some missing info that would have been on the outer edge of the screen, but in many cases, there are display option that can prevent this from being a huge problem

For the most part, things should be fine for sdtv owners, with the occasional very frustrating moments. It certainly shouldn't prevent anyone from enjoying an HD console but, some specific games will come with extra limitations and frustrations.

That's what I'm hoping. I was going to wait to get a Wii U since I have a few games to catch up on and get a better TV and monitor first, but since the Wii U sold like crazy, I had to go for that first, which included finding out a bunch of info.

Also forgot to list the refresh rate on my laptop monitor, it's 60hz.
---
#95IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/13/2012 7:57:34 AM
Wii U will support the Wii cables, and therefore you will be able to play on a non-HD TV and still be able to read

So, so, so ignorant.

Launch day is going to be hilarious for all these people stepping into the modern day/
#96shampoowarriorPosted 11/13/2012 8:09:06 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Can't wait for the topics on sunday:

"small text?"

"Why did Nintendo make it so I can't see the game!!!"

"why is the text so super small?"

"is this a wii u for ants?"

Pretty much this.

TC was just trying to be helpful, considering many people on this board have already confirmed they are going to be playing on a SDTV.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior
#97MozzezzPosted 11/13/2012 8:18:57 AM
Mozzezz posted...
JacobARF posted...

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that also in my post just as some extra info.

This was probably obvious, but I only meant the cables from the Wii would work to allow you to hook up a Wii U to a non HD TV, you will still have the reading problem.
---
#98BlueStormDragoNPosted 11/13/2012 8:55:33 AM(edited)
JacobARF posted...

I didn't see this when I posted, so let me address it now.

It will support the wii cable but will have no effect on text readability, if connected to a SDTV of any kind.

The SD in SDTV means standard definition, which provides 480 lines horizontally, while the minimum horizontal lines count for HD (high definition) is 720.

If a text is written on a small dot matrix for a 720 display , then it is going to be very hard to read when displayed on only 480 lines, because there will not be enough lines to properly display the letters.
(example of what I mean here: http://licn.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/dot-matrix-average-of-dots-john-dunn-consultant-ambertec-pe-pc.html)

Thankfully, most games do not have such small text that it becomes impossible to read in SD and you are not going to encounter that regularly but, there are games that suffer from it and some have been named in this topic already. I will add the original dead rising as one that gave me a VERY hard time, personally.

I am guessing that third-party games should be more likely to have this problem than any Nintendo-branded games, because of the usual graphic style of these games, calling for cutesy big text.
---
http://FoldedWilderness.deviantart.com/
#99MozzezzPosted 11/13/2012 9:08:35 AM
I also forgot to list the size of my laptop monitor, so let me just add that it's 17" (diagonal).
---
#100StinkySkunkGirlPosted 11/13/2012 9:10:02 AM
darkjedilink posted...
I love how TC just assumes that "Nintendo-only fans" all have SDTV's.

By breakdown, Wii owners are more likely to own HDTV's than the other console owners, because HDTV's are mainstream, and are therefore desired by casuals as a status symbol.

Wow, what a hideous comment. I think it's best for all of us if I avoid commenting on the majority of the nonsensical tripe you posted, and focus on your ending statement.

In case you haven't gone outside lately, HDTV's aren't a status symbol anymore. They haven't been for some time. The fact that they're "mainstream" (which you seem to associate with "casuals", which I can only assume is part of some deeper psychological problem) and affordable means they're commonplace, which is the exact opposite of a status symbol.

Waiting rooms, thrift stores, McDonalds... yes, even McDonald's has better TVs than some of the people in this topic. They're affordable enough that some thrift stores I've gone to use multiple LCDs as displays throughout the store.

Of course, you are a troll, so my words are wasted on you. Hopefully this post proves more helpful to others than it will be to yourself.
---
If you like the way I smell, just stand behind me!