I don't even get the point of having an hd console.

#21GencoilPosted 11/13/2012 1:51:34 AM
This has to be a joke topic.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil
#22InfernislePosted 11/13/2012 1:58:30 AM
They really should change the names up a little.

If more people have HD than SD, then why is SD still considered standard?
#23GencoilPosted 11/13/2012 2:01:09 AM
Infernisle posted...

If you started calling HD SD then people would get confused. They wouldn't be able to tell which one you're talking about.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil
#24InfernislePosted 11/13/2012 2:04:22 AM
Gencoil posted...
Infernisle posted...

If you started calling HD SD then people would get confused. They wouldn't be able to tell which one you're talking about.

But calling the old one standard definition is just false when more people have the other one.
#25overkillwfo1978Posted 11/13/2012 2:48:44 AM(edited)
fuzi11 posted...
But god alone knows what we will have in 5 years

I think the timeline is a bit off. 1080p has been available as a resolution for quite awhile, but in games, very few outside of PC have been able to take advantage of 1080p/60fps. I think that resolution will be the norm for at least the better part of this decade. I know 2k is now readily available, but very, very few people have it and graphics cards on pc to run games at 2k resolutions are not cheap and certainly not viable for the masses at this point.

To further this thought, it will be even longer before 2k TVs become the "norm" in living rooms everywhere. I think in 5 years, 1080/60 will be the standard and we will be transitioning into the thought of 2k or 2160p as the next gen.

People forget that the tech involved with making a monitor capable of displaying a resolution is much less involved than the tech to actually fully realize that resolution in games and movies. The cost can become astronomical when you move too quick and the average joe will not be able to afford it. For christ's sake you have quite a few people on this very board who haven't gotten away from 480i yet.
---
"Then we figured out that we could just park them in front of the tv, that's how I was raised, and I turned out tv"
#26FoppePosted 11/13/2012 2:23:02 AM
Infernisle posted...
Gencoil posted...
Infernisle posted...

But calling the old one standard definition is just false when more people have the other one.

It still follows the standards set by the SD standard, even if most people are using another standard.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#27its_mattPosted 11/13/2012 2:29:14 AM
Infernisle posted...
Gencoil posted...
Infernisle posted...

What we call SD (480i) came first and was standard for along time. We are not going to change what it is called now it would become confusing.
#28InfernislePosted 11/13/2012 2:44:31 AM
its_matt posted...
Infernisle posted...
Gencoil posted...
Infernisle posted...

What we call SD (480i) came first and was standard for along time. We are not going to change what it is called now it would become confusing.

The people who would be confused about it for more than ten minutes are the people who dropped out of elementary school.
#29SolisPosted 11/13/2012 2:58:47 AM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
I think the timeline is a bit off. 1080p has been available as a resolution for quite awhile, but in games, very few outside of PC have been able to take advantage of 1080p/60fps. I think that resolution will be the norm for at least the better part of this decade. I know 2k is now readily available, but very, very few people have it and graphics cards on pc to run games at 2k resolutions are not cheap and certainly not viable for the masses at this point.

I have no idea how you could think that when graphical rendering technology doubles in speed every year or two, while display technology is currently increasing by around the same amount every 3-4 years at best. Even tablet GPUs are powerful enough to render games at resolutions 50% higher than 1080p now, let alone console or PC GPUs. In fact we've seen GPU technology increase by such a significant degree that modern PC videocards are capable of outputting to multiple displays at once to allow for resolutions above what just one could provide. Recent GPUs have literally exceeded the capacity for most modern games and displays so much that they actually need to use MULTIPLE displays to even be stressed!

I mean hell, we've pretty much stalled in terms of display upgrades after 1080p became popular. If anything we've gone backwards: PC monitors used to be pretty easy to find in resolutions upwards of 2048x1536 six or seven years ago, now you'd be LUCKY to find one that's over 1080p. We've been long overdue for an increase past 1080p, again we've seen tablets end up surpassing TV/PC monitor standards simply because they've fallen so far behind from the technology available for them.

Oh and "2K" isn't used as a TV resolution, it's roughly equivalent to 1080p at 16:9 anyway. The next upgrade for TVs would be 4K.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#30overkillwfo1978Posted 11/13/2012 2:59:44 AM
The definition of "standard" will always change. Its just a matter of time. Soon, no one will know what the hell 480i is..
---
"Then we figured out that we could just park them in front of the tv, that's how I was raised, and I turned out tv"