Wii U external Hard Drive will ONLY be formatted for Wii U and CANNOT work on PC

#31huyiPosted 11/14/2012 7:21:38 AM
Chargrilled posted...
Ps3 and 360 dont do this

So its one up to nintendo for inventing their own format which cant be read by anything else

Infact its the first time ive seen it done by anything, even on pc.

exactly, its a first for a console to do something as time wasting as this, its just going to cost us even more money to get around the problem, money i don't have atm.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#32ChargrilledPosted 11/14/2012 7:26:31 AM
huyi posted...
Chargrilled posted...
Ps3 and 360 dont do this

So its one up to nintendo for inventing their own format which cant be read by anything else

exactly, its a first for a console to do something as time wasting as this, its just going to cost us even more money to get around the problem, money i don't have atm.

Youre not supposed to be getting around the problem unless youre looking to pirate or something
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#33FFXIgaiaknightPosted 11/14/2012 7:27:01 AM
this doesnt bother me as im only using a spare 500GB hdd and not my 1TB cause i had a feeling this was gonna happen lol
---
Currently Playing: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS)
3DS FC : 4124 - 5007 - 1536
#34FoppePosted 11/14/2012 7:38:07 AM
Chargrilled posted...
Ps3 and 360 dont do this

Do what?
The PS3 got it's own filesystem on the internal harddrive.
Xbox 360 uses fatx.
The old Xbox used fatx.
The PS2 used the PFS.

These fileformats are unreadable by a normal PC unless you download the right program.
Give it time and we will see the same thing for Wii U.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#35TheWiseOne06Posted 11/14/2012 7:38:29 AM
Chargrilled posted...
Ps3 and 360 dont do this

Vita and iPod/iPad/iPhone etc
---
PSN:jmanup85
"Saying all JRPGS need to evolve to be more like FF is like saying we need to evolve to be more like Trilobites." - methosagain
#36DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/14/2012 7:53:08 AM
Had anyone tried partitioning the drive?
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#37meiyukiPosted 11/14/2012 7:54:14 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
the fact that this surprises anybody is a testament to thelir lack of knowledge about technology

I guess you never used a 3ds then. The sd card can still be read just fine by a pc after it's been used in a 3ds. When I upgraded to a 32gb sd card it was just a matter of copying my files from the 2gb card to my pc, then copying them to the 32gb card. In fact I regularly backup my 3ds to my pc. The only thing the 3ds does is encrypt the files so you can't read them.

This is actually really annoying cause I was just planning on using my pc's backup external drive but I guess I have to go buy a new one now if this is true. It's starting to annoy me, first they seem to indicate that the accounts might be virtually useless, and now this.
#38P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 11/14/2012 8:00:11 AM
meiyuki posted...
gumbyxcore99 posted...
the fact that this surprises anybody is a testament to thelir lack of knowledge about technology

I guess you never used a 3ds then. The sd card can still be read just fine by a pc after it's been used in a 3ds. When I upgraded to a 32gb sd card it was just a matter of copying my files from the 2gb card to my pc, then copying them to the 32gb card. In fact I regularly backup my 3ds to my pc. The only thing the 3ds does is encrypt the files so you can't read them.

This is actually really annoying cause I was just planning on using my pc's backup external drive but I guess I have to go buy a new one now if this is true. It's starting to annoy me, first they seem to indicate that the accounts might be virtually useless, and now this.

That's because it's an SD card and doesn't need to be reformatted. SD cards on the Wii U can also be used on PC as well.
---
Currently Playing: Shenmue2, NSMB2
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#39meiyukiPosted 11/14/2012 8:05:38 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...

That's because it's an SD card and doesn't need to be reformatted. SD cards on the Wii U can also be used on PC as well.

The 3ds can read a fat32 filesystem just fine the wiiU should be able to as well. These last few days it just feels like they're constantly pulling the rug out from under us.

"Here's this great game pad with off tv play", "great I can play my snes and nes games on it cause i don't like them on the tv" "eh not exactly". At least they mentioned they have plans to do it in the future.

"nintendo accounts to tie your games too." "good I can bring my hard drive with me to a friend's house and just log into my account and play my games." "um no not really".

"well ok at least I can use my backup drive so I don't need to go buy a new one" "um about that..."
#40dennis941012Posted 11/14/2012 8:06:00 AM
Chargrilled posted...
huyi posted...
Chargrilled posted...
Ps3 and 360 dont do this

Youre not supposed to be getting around the problem unless youre looking to pirate or something

I already have existing 1.5tb external hard drive and to reformat means to delete everything -.-
nintendo is making us buy another set of HD just for wii U >_> ugg guess I am buying 500mb worth of external hard drive during black friday or cyber monday =/
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123