Wii U external Hard Drive will ONLY be formatted for Wii U and CANNOT work on PC

#51Golden MavenPosted 11/14/2012 8:31:47 AM
LOL

The good news just keeps pouring in, right?
#52Phail_edPosted 11/14/2012 8:37:53 AM
huyi posted...
Moegitto posted...
This is what Gamefaqs NEEDS to be, a place to pass along information to fellow gamers. I hate it when companies don't let the consumer know about critical things like this. But sadly this topic is about to become pushed by topics of "I sold my Wii U for 6,999 whatever dollar function". Sad...

yep, im angry, i can't afford a new hard drive atm, i had 1tb external hard drive that has 400gb free that i could have used but i can't now because that hard drive has important documents and all sorts of backup data on it that i don't want nintendo to erase, buying a wii u is expensive as it is plus i have other stuff to buy like upgrading parts for my pc.

anyways it dosn't matter i won't be buying digital content on the eshop anyway so i don't need the extra space, my only concern is that i can't backup my saves to a sd card, i shouldn't have to be forced to use a external hard drive to do a simple task its just adding up more to the whole total which is money i can't afford to spend right now.

Buy a 16-32gb USB thumb drive for 20 bucks. If you can afford to buy a Wii U, you can afford another 20 bucks for storage.

Stop being drama queens.
---
---___---___---___---___---___---
~It's ok Pluto, I'm not a planet either.~
#53meiyukiPosted 11/14/2012 8:42:25 AM(edited)
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Do you think that no Nintendo consoles support it just because?
Think about it. It's an established and documented proprietary microsoft file format.

You're right I missed that part, still there's unix file systems and such.

I guess it's just annoying that they're dropping all this crap right before launch. They knew this, why not tell us "YOU NEED TO BUY A DEDICATED HD FOR THE SYSTEM." Not "oh you can use any external drive you have lying around" well no you can't if it's in use. Or at the very least they could make some software so that we can backup the drive. It's even more annoying cause the drive I have is only about a year old and I could have easily partitioned it when it was empty but it's too late now.

I really don't feel like downloading 25gb games(and they could honestly get bigger if they use multiple discs though I do honestly doubt that will happen) again if the drive fails or for some reason I need a new one. It's more annoying because they're individual games so I doubt there's going to be a bulk download open but maybe. And god help you if you partition a drive and then download enough to fill the partition.
#54TheLoneDigitPosted 11/14/2012 8:46:42 AM
I understand this from their perspective, but it's definitely inconvenient for me. I have three external HDs that I use freely on PCs, Macs, PS3s, and Xbox 360s. Because of the video work I do, I can't sacrifice one of these externals HDs to the WiiU.

I don't really like having to buy another external. It's not like the WiiU won't get hacked.

I wonder if we'll be able to set up a WiiU partition. At least with 3rd party software...
#55FoppePosted 11/14/2012 8:48:33 AM
I am surprised that people are so surprised by this...
We knew that it allowed Terrabyte sized harddrives, which kills the possibility for FAT filesystems.
NTFS... is owned by Microsoft. And Microsoft aint even using it for their consoles.
Opensource alternatives? Please, Nintendo tries to stop iracy here, denying the pirates to read the data is the first step trying to prevent piracy.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#56meiyukiPosted 11/14/2012 8:56:25 AM
Foppe posted...

Opensource alternatives? Please, Nintendo tries to stop iracy here, denying the pirates to read the data is the first step trying to prevent piracy.

This offers the next best thing to zero security as far as reading the files are. Deciphering a file system isn't terribly complicated and I wouldn't be surprised if the specifications of it are posted online within a few weeks of launch.
#57MotiJrPosted 11/14/2012 8:57:05 AM
If this is such a deal breaker why are people still buying the system? Sounds to me like people just want something to complain about. If it really bothers you that much, don't buy the Wii U. How much do you expect people to hold your hand and make decisions for you. 'Nintendo are making me buy a separate hard drive' is the stupidest thing i have heard. No one is making you do anything. Don't like it, don't buy it. Not that difficult.
---
Fanboys are a cancer to gaming but Sony fanboys are a particularly aggressive and repulsive form.
#58halomonkey1_3_5Posted 11/14/2012 8:57:21 AM

Thats pretty weak argument. It wont take any time at all for someone to develop a program that can read the Wii U partitions(which would actually have little impact on piracy unless Nintendo just leaves the files completely vulnerable inside the "special" filesystem).
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#59evecharmevePosted 11/14/2012 8:57:53 AM
Awesome, now some loser won't save edit their games like they do for borderlands. well at least really easily
#60meiyukiPosted 11/14/2012 9:05:09 AM
MotiJr posted...
If this is such a deal breaker why are people still buying the system? Sounds to me like people just want something to complain about. If it really bothers you that much, don't buy the Wii U. How much do you expect people to hold your hand and make decisions for you. 'Nintendo are making me buy a separate hard drive' is the stupidest thing i have heard. No one is making you do anything. Don't like it, don't buy it. Not that difficult.

No one said they're not buying the system because of this, they're saying it's really annoying and unexpected because a lot of them planned on using existing drives they own. Now 4 days before launch we're told you can't do that.