Wii U external Hard Drive will ONLY be formatted for Wii U and CANNOT work on PC

#61Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/14/2012 10:15:54 AM
meiyuki posted...
I guess it's just annoying that they're dropping all this crap right before launch. They knew this, why not tell us "YOU NEED TO BUY A DEDICATED HD FOR THE SYSTEM." Not "oh you can use any external drive you have lying around" well no you can't if it's in use. Or at the very least they could make some software so that we can backup the drive. It's even more annoying cause the drive I have is only about a year old and I could have easily partitioned it when it was empty but it's too late now.

It seemed implied when Reggie spoke about it.
#62tizzywilkillyouPosted 11/14/2012 10:18:57 AM
meiyuki posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Does the 3DS read NTFS?(Windows NT File System)

No it doesn't, but it wouldn't take anything more than a system update to allow it. It's an established and documented file format and there's absolutely no reason they couldn't make the wiiU use that format.

Since it has to be formatted essentially what they've done is spend more time and money developing their own file system that at the end of the day will serve no more purpose than to annoy people. It's worse cause you can't transfer to another drive or keep a backup, yeah you can redownload everything but good grief you know how long it would take to download a TB of data.

This. The ONLY reason to do this would be to stop piracy. This won't stop piracy.
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#63huyiPosted 11/14/2012 10:34:17 AM(edited)
Chargrilled posted...

Youre not supposed to be getting around the problem unless youre looking to pirate or something

the first thing that comes to your head is piracy? _ what i meant was to complement the problem of not being able to use our current external hard drives for the wii u we have to buy a new external hard drive or flash drive to save data to it, is that more specific enough for you?

DarkZV2Beta posted...
Had anyone tried partitioning the drive?

from the way i see it that wouldn't make much of a difference, as soon as you plug it in it will format the WHOLE drive regardless of what is on it.

meiyuki posted...

These last few days it just feels like they're constantly pulling the rug out from under us.

"Here's this great game pad with off tv play", "great I can play my snes and nes games on it cause i don't like them on the tv" "eh not exactly". At least they mentioned they have plans to do it in the future.

"nintendo accounts to tie your games too." "good I can bring my hard drive with me to a friend's house and just log into my account and play my games." "um no not really".

"well ok at least I can use my backup drive so I don't need to go buy a new one" "um about that..."

i agree, there was a reason they were so reluctant to not tell us any info about the wii u console until the last minute, they was expecting just to just buy blindly away because of their respectable fanbase, it doesn't work like that nintendo and that is totally wrong on nintendo's behalf, i expect honesty but i guess some people don't even have the decency to have that either.

it seems every day i come on here i just get more bad news about the wii u time and time again, soon half of the people here will start cancelling pre-orders if it goes on like this.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#64huyiPosted 11/14/2012 10:27:02 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#65FoppePosted 11/14/2012 10:30:22 AM
huyi posted...

DarkZV2Beta posted...

from the way i see it that wouldn't make much of a difference, as soon as you plug it in it will format the WHOLE drive regardless of what is on it.

You mean just like what happen when you insert a harddrive into a PS3?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#66huyiPosted 11/14/2012 10:35:08 AM
Foppe posted...
huyi posted...

DarkZV2Beta posted...

You mean just like what happen when you insert a harddrive into a PS3?

yes, similar to that, i hope i am wrong though but it seems this is the way it's going to be.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#67MotiJrPosted 11/14/2012 10:36:10 AM
MotiJr posted...
If this is such a deal breaker why are people still buying the system? Sounds to me like people just want something to complain about. If it really bothers you that much, don't buy the Wii U. How much do you expect people to hold your hand and make decisions for you. 'Nintendo are making me buy a separate hard drive' is the stupidest thing i have heard. No one is making you do anything. Don't like it, don't buy it. Not that difficult.

No one said they're not buying the system because of this, they're saying it's really annoying and unexpected because a lot of them planned on using existing drives they own. Now 4 days before launch we're told you can't do that.

I can understand that they're annoyed but some of the responses here are acting as if they have been forced into purchasing the Wii U, which they haven't. Like I said, if this is such a big inconvenience, why purchase the system. Surely, if having to buy another hard drive is so problematic, it would be better to reconsider getting the system.
---
Fanboys are a cancer to gaming but Sony fanboys are a particularly aggressive and repulsive form.
#68cavebear56Posted 11/14/2012 10:36:40 AM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
the fact that this surprises anybody is a testament to thelir lack of knowledge about technology

This.

Or just a tremendous amount of wishful thinking.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#69P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 11/14/2012 10:38:50 AM
meiyuki posted...
MotiJr posted...
If this is such a deal breaker why are people still buying the system? Sounds to me like people just want something to complain about. If it really bothers you that much, don't buy the Wii U. How much do you expect people to hold your hand and make decisions for you. 'Nintendo are making me buy a separate hard drive' is the stupidest thing i have heard. No one is making you do anything. Don't like it, don't buy it. Not that difficult.

No one said they're not buying the system because of this, they're saying it's really annoying and unexpected because a lot of them planned on using existing drives they own. Now 4 days before launch we're told you can't do that.

You still can do that. I'm going to be using the one I already have.
---
Currently Playing: Shenmue2, NSMB2
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#70meiyukiPosted 11/14/2012 10:48:34 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...

You still can do that. I'm going to be using the one I already have.

I've got files on it, for all we know it doesn't care about partitions and just formats the whole thing. But assuming it doesn't, you still have to partition it, something you can't do with files on it. Well last time I checked you couldn't, but maybe you can now. If I had known from the beginning it needed to be partitioned I could have done that(though I must stress we don't know for sure that even works) but I really can't now.

I still like the system just fine, but lately it seems like they're missing some really obvious things.