Wii U external Hard Drive will ONLY be formatted for Wii U and CANNOT work on PC

#71AwesomeOSauce(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 11:13:31 AM
Nintendo sure is trying to get us to buy digital games this time around... just look at all the pleasant and user friendly incentives >_>
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#72aether17Posted 11/14/2012 11:39:23 AM
....oh well? Looks like i'll be buying another one just for Wii U. No big deal, but of course it must be a big deal for others.
#73Board_hunter567Posted 11/14/2012 12:21:34 PM
gumbyxcore99 posted...
the fact that this surprises anybody is a testament to thelir lack of knowledge about technology
#74DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/14/2012 1:16:43 PM
huyi posted...
from the way i see it that wouldn't make much of a difference, as soon as you plug it in it will format the WHOLE drive regardless of what is on it.

That sucks pretty bad.
Guess we'll have to wait until someone cracks it and makes an app to allow the drive to be properly partitioned.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#75darkjedilinkPosted 11/14/2012 1:37:18 PM
meiyuki posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...

You still can do that. I'm going to be using the one I already have.

I've got files on it, for all we know it doesn't care about partitions and just formats the whole thing. But assuming it doesn't, you still have to partition it, something you can't do with files on it. Well last time I checked you couldn't, but maybe you can now. If I had known from the beginning it needed to be partitioned I could have done that(though I must stress we don't know for sure that even works) but I really can't now.

I still like the system just fine, but lately it seems like they're missing some really obvious things.

So, when the Wii U comes out, get everything off the drive, partition it, and format the partition for the Wii U. That will answer your questions far faster than the qq being displayed here.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#76SkyCrackersPosted 11/14/2012 1:44:51 PM
It really has to format the entire drive? My question is: WHY? It won't affect piracy either way. Nintendo has been making a lot of stupid mistakes with the Wii U, ones that easily could have been fixed.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#77tizzywilkillyouPosted 11/14/2012 2:12:36 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
gumbyxcore99 posted...
the fact that this surprises anybody is a testament to thelir lack of knowledge about technology

Why do people keep quoting this as if it's some sort of sage wisdom? What does "knowledge about technology" have to do with this? Especially when we have the Wii and 3DS to point to as examples of the opposite?
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#78jsb0714Posted 11/14/2012 2:17:12 PM
Because, tizzywilkillyou, if you're going to moan and complain about something, it would be nice if you know what you are talking about to begin with.
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#79Tempest717Posted 11/14/2012 2:18:36 PM
Partitions yo.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#80Shadowbird_RHPosted 11/14/2012 2:32:25 PM
Bummer. I just got my 1TB external HD today, minutes ago. Main purpose to be for backing up and long term storage, also planned for use with Wii U. I suppose I can live with only using it for one of those tasks at a time, but if it can be partitioned and work with both the Wii U and a computer, that'd be great.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR