No Wii U VC on launch

#1lowuwPosted 11/14/2012 9:15:30 PM
I read an article on IGN where it talked about not being able to play VC games on gamepad, but when Wii U VC is released we will be able to play those on gamepad. It sounds like VC games will initially need to bought when your Wii mode until the Wii U VC is released.
#2kinglink13Posted 11/14/2012 9:17:08 PM
It's confirmed that a Wii U VC is in development.
---
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft = Epic
#3lowuw(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2012 9:19:01 PM
I hope it comes out soon because there are games I want and don't want to get them on Wii mode because I want to play them on the gamepad.
#4MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/14/2012 9:19:31 PM
The whole Virtual Console thing is one of the only remaining questions left to be answered. You'd think any VC/WiiWare games you downloaded should be available to access from WaruWaru Plaza (or wherever they're typically stored) along with whatever new games you choose to download from the eShop (future VC titles, eShop exclusives, or downloaded retail games)... but who knows.

It seems like we'll have to go through Wii mode right now.
#5thealmightydibPosted 11/14/2012 9:20:18 PM
I dont think nintendo has guaranteed gamepad play for the Wii U VC, just that they are hoping to include it
---
No, John, unfortunately we don't have a code for "There's a man in my closet with a gun to my daughter's head." Although we obviously should.
#6darkjedilinkPosted 11/14/2012 9:22:01 PM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
The whole Virtual Console thing is one of the only remaining questions left to be answered. You'd think any VC/WiiWare games you downloaded should be available to access from WaruWaru Plaza (or wherever they're typically stored) along with whatever new games you choose to download from the eShop (future VC titles, eShop exclusives, or downloaded retail games)... but who knows.

Anything you bought on the Wii can only be accessed via Wii mode. That won't be changing.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#7MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/14/2012 9:30:57 PM(edited)
MechaKoopa5000 posted...

Anything you bought on the Wii can only be accessed via Wii mode. That won't be changing.

Even if the exact same software is available in the eShop? Take the 3DS for example. DSiWare is available in the eShop and you can access it/arrange it anywhere you want in the 3DS menu. Granted, there is no "DS Mode" on 3DS. Not in the sense that it boots you to a different menu, anyway.

If you can essentially buy Super Mario Bros. from the Wii Shop Channel and also from the eShop, and it's the same thing, I don't see why they couldn't transfer over to the Plaza. Would it be completely foolish to hope that if there is some difference between Wii Shop/eShop versions of games that Nintendo would allow you to upgrade the old files free of charge?

If the only difference is being able to play the game on the GamePad, they should let you transfer them into "Wii U" files.
#8darkjedilinkPosted 11/14/2012 10:08:46 PM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
MechaKoopa5000 posted...

Even if the exact same software is available in the eShop? Take the 3DS for example. DSiWare is available in the eShop and you can access it/arrange it anywhere you want in the 3DS menu. Granted, there is no "DS Mode" on 3DS. Not in the sense that it boots you to a different menu, anyway.

If you can essentially buy Super Mario Bros. from the Wii Shop Channel and also from the eShop, and it's the same thing, I don't see why they couldn't transfer over to the Plaza. Would it be completely foolish to hope that if there is some difference between Wii Shop/eShop versions of games that Nintendo would allow you to upgrade the old files free of charge?

If the only difference is being able to play the game on the GamePad, they should let you transfer them into "Wii U" files.

It has to do with the fact that the Wii U has no access to anything in Wii mode. As such, your eShop account has no way of knowing about your Wii Shop Channel purchases. That's why the Wii Shop Channel is still going to be active on the Wii U's Wii mode.

You bought a VC title for the Wii, and it's staying on the Wii. You won't be able to play them in Wii U mode unless you buy them AGAIN via Wii U's eShop.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#9MechaKoopa5000Posted 11/14/2012 10:26:07 PM
MechaKoopa5000 posted...
MechaKoopa5000 posted...

It has to do with the fact that the Wii U has no access to anything in Wii mode. As such, your eShop account has no way of knowing about your Wii Shop Channel purchases. That's why the Wii Shop Channel is still going to be active on the Wii U's Wii mode.

You bought a VC title for the Wii, and it's staying on the Wii. You won't be able to play them in Wii U mode unless you buy them AGAIN via Wii U's eShop.

As a Club Nintendo member, Nintendo definitely knows which games I've purchased digitally from them in the last 6 years. Wouldn't they be able to see which games I got and make the ol' switcheroo? I'm not saying I'm counting on this... just asking if possible.