NeoGAF Criticize Wii U Controllers

#21spicyitalian739Posted 11/15/2012 8:32:43 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...
I can understand criticizing the lack of analog triggers for something like racing genre...but for the FPS, really? I thought for sure they'd say something about the stick placement, but no, this entire article was about the triggers. The writer basically said that PC is bad for FPS games.

It threw me for just as big a loop as the topic title did.

That's because these Call of Duty n00bs don't know any better. Like I said, my way using the GamePad screen is WAY more hardcore and would put some tension into the mix when sniping since you'd have to manually adjust.
---
President of the CloudStrife630 fan club! I live only to serve you, my liege!
#22DTY3Posted 11/15/2012 8:32:58 PM
Since when did snipers need analogue triggers...? PC gamers seem to do fine. Not to mention every FPS before this gen...
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#23Skill4ReelPosted 11/15/2012 8:42:42 PM
I have to agree with this not being a big issue. As I play most of my shooters on PS3, other than Borderlands the trigger and ADS is almost always L1 and L2 which are non pressure sensitive. Also the function of the analog triggers add nothing at all to Borderlands game play. It is more of the shape of the button and how it feels on my finger that makes more of a difference than anything.

I'm playing NFS: Most Wanted on PS3 currently and the analog triggers really don't provide too much variation in speed as lightly tapping the R2 trigger rapidly is more effective than slightly pressing down on it for lower MPH. Which is the exact same result that I got from playing Top Gear Rally on N64 (no analog triggers) so many years ago.

Not saying no games ever benefit from these triggers, but there certainly aren't that many that I've played where their functionality really stood out. Maybe GT5 this gen.
#24EbonMagicianPosted 11/15/2012 8:47:17 PM
anyone who has "gaf" in their name deserves no respect in my book.
---
3DS FC: Lotaphi 1118-1539-9491 --- Vita PSN: Bernkestel
message me if you add me
#25Elements012894Posted 11/15/2012 9:27:31 PM
That article made no sense, PS3 shooters use L1 and R1 for one thing....
---
PS+ has paid it's self for me. So from here on out I will refer to any new games as free.
#26dark trunksPosted 11/15/2012 9:29:56 PM
Elements012894 posted...
That article made no sense, PS3 shooters use L1 and R1 for one thing....

And I actually prefer it when they do, as well. I don't mind the trigger on an Xbox controller for FPS, but if they're on the PS3, it's best played with L1 and R1.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#27Psychochild27Posted 11/15/2012 9:37:07 PM
DTY3 posted...
Since when did snipers need analogue triggers...? PC gamers seem to do fine. Not to mention every FPS before this gen...

Pretty much this. Of the FPS games I've played, most that have things like an adjustable zoom on sniper weapons relegated to L3/R3 or LS/RS or whatever you want to call them. The only games that are really going to suffer for this are going to be racing games like Criterion's stuff where everything hinges on how much pressure you're applying when you're drifting through turns to control the angle (Though Mario Kart'll end up feeling better for it, at least).

If anything, having guns where the firing speed is controlled by how fast you can mash the button will end up feeling better on the Wii U because you can mash a digital trigger faster.
#28ChargrilledPosted 11/15/2012 9:47:51 PM
TheFlamingC posted...
Why does having analog shoulder buttons count again? PC has the best FPS method of control, and it's just point and click. None of this slight to full depression silliness.

Very much this
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#29TimeToSmoke420Posted 11/15/2012 11:32:40 PM
TheFlamingC posted...
Why does having analog shoulder buttons count again? PC has the best FPS method of control, and it's just point and click. None of this slight to full depression silliness.

You are correct in terms of aiming. Aiming with the mouse cannot be bested by an analog control stick. But when it comes to movement of the character (left analog stick vs WASD) the keyboard does not provide variation in the degree/speed of movement like the left analog stick does. For example, in a game where you're trying to be stealthy and then suddenly sprint, this just can't be done very well on the WASD at all. When you hit W, the speed you move is the speed you move. And sure, you can hold shift or whatever to make them walk slowly in some games, but that just sucks. I was playing Crysis on my PC with the keyboard and those controls were absolutely terrible. I may have to go back to using my Xbox 360 controller on that game. I dunno. I have mixed feelings.
#30TimeToSmoke420Posted 11/15/2012 11:37:36 PM
pizzaman95 posted...
Why does having analog shoulder buttons count again?

Sniper sights.

I don't understand... With a trigger, you either press it or you don't. How does having it pressure sensitive matter in a shooter?
Let's use COD as an example. You've got the xbox360 controller in your hand, which DOES have pressure sensitive triggers. Even still, once you press it so far, it shoots. I don't get the logic here in regards to shooting a gun. Has anyone ever shot a real gun before? It has just maybe the slightest give and then it just clicks/shoots. That's it. You either shoot it or you don't.