I don't understand the importance of analogs triggers for FPSes

#1sejan12Posted 11/15/2012 7:36:43 PM
This complaint doesn't make any sense to me. Read this snippet.

Dual analog triggers on the rear offer a meager, albeit meaningful, level of precision; pressure sensitivity helps to circumvent the lacking hyper-precision of a mouse/keyboard, offering one trigger to pull up a gun's sights, while the other is used to fire rounds. The importance of those analog triggers cannot be understated, in everything from the annual Call of Duty game to one-off entries like Bulletstorm -- pressure-sensitive triggers really matter when it comes to this genre.

What do analog triggers have to do with pulling up the sights to a gun or shooting the gun. I don't see why a digital trigger would not do the exact same thing.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/15/editorial-wii-u-first-person-shooters/
#2dark trunksPosted 11/15/2012 7:39:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's an article to complain about something, no matter how stupid it is.

It's a half arsed attempt to finding a problem where there is no problem. It's a complaint for the sake of complaining without having even thought it through.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#3DynheartPosted 11/15/2012 7:41:41 PM
I agree. Though, it is limiting.

Nintendo will most likely fix this if their is a big enough out cry. In the end, though, it is what it is.
---
Currently suffering Final Fantasy XIII-2
#4Reznik00Posted 11/15/2012 7:45:06 PM
I never noticed them in games and never knew about them until 4 months ago, on this board, complaining about the lack thereof....I'll be fine without em
---
Hello Misinformed Zombie Fodder!
#5abear90Posted 11/15/2012 7:48:02 PM
Analog triggers provide an extra cushion of control for FPS. Scoping is not a good example of why analog triggers are needed, but for firing weapons, analog triggers function more like real life gun triggers, where the trigger has a little "give" before that point of no return, where the shot is fired.

Not to mention, the analog portion of the triggers is not only used for shooting. A recent example, in Halo 4, the degree of how hard the left trigger is being pressed while driving a ghost determines at what strength the ghost will be boosting -- it allows for tighter controls while driving.

Likewise, in Theater and Forge mode you use the analog triggers heavily to adjust video playback speed, camera speed, object rotation, etc.

It's a useful feature to have, since a lot of real life applications require analog input verses just "on" or "off." There's a reason we use analog joysticks for most games and that we will never go back; no amount of buttons can offer the same amount of precision and control a joystick does in a 3D world. The reasoning is the same for analog triggers.
#6Skill4ReelPosted 11/15/2012 7:49:25 PM
He is pretty much saying that he prefers the way the buttons/triggers feel on the XB360 controller, and isn't willing to adjust to playing with anything else.
#7omniryuPosted 11/15/2012 7:54:16 PM
Skill4Reel posted...
He is pretty much saying that he prefers the way the buttons/triggers feel on the XB360 controller, and isn't willing to adjust to playing with anything else.

It is very crucial to grand theft auto 4. Which makes it incompatible with the Wii u. It is a huge difference from blasting to just aiming or driving like a maniac or driving like a normal person to blend in with the crowd.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#8ElectricMolePosted 11/15/2012 8:08:45 PM
You've never driven a car before if you dont know how important light and hard pressure matters when controlling the thing.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#9LinetrixPosted 11/15/2012 8:13:11 PM
ElectricMole posted...
You've never driven a car before if you dont know how important light and hard pressure matters when controlling the thing.

Proof that Nintendo's diehard fans are a bunch of kids.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#10halomonkey1_3_5Posted 11/15/2012 8:18:00 PM
ITT: Bunch of fanboys defend the Wii U lacking a basic function

seriously

literally no upside to not having them

Nintendo just said "well we're not adding them cause we dont wanna!" and their fans sit here and defend them.

Have fun with your awful racing games.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest