Looking at the graphics of Mario Galaxy 2 right now...

#1liveman789Posted 11/18/2012 12:35:21 AM
That was made on the freakin' Wii. A console weaker than Xbox 360 and PS3, yet looked just about as good as their average game.

The WiiU is stronger than both of it's current gen competing consoles. The first party Nintendo games are going to looks freakin' amazing.

Pikmin 3 being it's "true first" party game, I'm really looking forward to the graphics of this gen of games.
#2PS360LoverPosted 11/18/2012 12:36:49 AM
Comparing cartoonish games to ones that use more realistic style?
#3Squished_MarioPosted 11/18/2012 12:38:08 AM
That makes me wonder. How great can you make mario look?
---
Part of the Viewmaster_pi's Caln Magna cum laude
PSN: VexSilver
#4Baha05Posted 11/18/2012 12:39:22 AM
Squished_Mario posted...
That makes me wonder. How great can you make mario look?

Honestly I think it would be more how great can you make the backgrounds work for a Mario game.
---
"Not really just shows how stupid everyone in that universe is. I know instead of just snipping these terrorists lets risk an apocalypse durp"
#5Stefan1277Posted 11/18/2012 12:43:01 AM
PS360Lover posted...
Comparing cartoonish games to ones that use more realistic style?

Well, "toonish" ones need to be hand painted. Plants, floors, characters, everything needs to be painted by people and make them look like what they are.

Realistic? take a picture of a wall. Slap it on a box. Next.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#6DesperateMonkeyPosted 11/18/2012 12:46:30 AM
liveman789 posted...
That was made on the freakin' Wii. A console weaker than Xbox 360 and PS3, yet looked just about as good as their average game.

The WiiU is stronger than both of it's current gen competing consoles. The first party Nintendo games are going to looks freakin' amazing.

Pikmin 3 being it's "true first" party game, I'm really looking forward to the graphics of this gen of games.

SMG2 looking good artistically is meaningless. It could have looked a lot better on the HD consoles. Anyone can have a preference to any style they want but that style will always look inferior on inferior hardware.

I think Binding of Isaac looks better than SMG2 and its a flash game. What does that say? Absolutely nothing of worth, much like your opinion.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#7aether17Posted 11/18/2012 12:47:06 AM
liveman789 posted...

Let's not exaggerate now, sure Wii U is stronger than the 360/PS3, and sure Mario Galaxy looked amazing on Wii, but I wouldn't place it at around 360/PS3 graphics. Wii for the most part had games which didn't show its full potential, which is why the Wii was underestimated so much when it came to graphics. No, it's not in the same league as the PS3/360, but considering its hardware, it's hard to believe it could bust out graphics like some Wii games had. Combined, Broadway (CPU) and Hollywood (GPU) can do things most developers couldn't accomplish.

I hope the next 3D Mario game goes the same route as Mario Galaxy did in terms of graphics. Use SMG-styled art, make modern enhancements (use modern shaders, higher-res textures, better shadows, higher polygons, 1080p hopefully, etc) and the game would look amazing.
#8Emerald_MeliosPosted 11/18/2012 9:02:47 PM
liveman789 posted...

Just look at Dragon Quest VIII and Wind Waker to see what could be accomplished on 6th generation consoles.