***Please read if you cannot connect to WiFi***

#81buck6439Posted 12/5/2012 6:28:04 AMmessage detail
I didn't have much luck finding the solution when I was setting mine up so I just hooked up an additional cable modem
#82moneyhead64Posted 12/5/2012 12:12:45 PMmessage detail
My Wii U was working fine for the past week but now my internet connection on it keeps dropping and coming back up every 5 seconds. I can't finish the new update because of this. Every time I do a connection test it always passes, but for some reason, the connection keeps dropping every 5 seconds.

I don't think I can resort to the Wii LAN adapter because my Wii U is in the basement and my router and modem are all the way on the second floor.

How am I supposed to fix this?
#83thenavysfinest7Posted 12/5/2012 9:56:38 PMmessage detail
moneyhead64 posted...
My Wii U was working fine for the past week but now my internet connection on it keeps dropping and coming back up every 5 seconds. I can't finish the new update because of this. Every time I do a connection test it always passes, but for some reason, the connection keeps dropping every 5 seconds.

I don't think I can resort to the Wii LAN adapter because my Wii U is in the basement and my router and modem are all the way on the second floor.

I had the same issue trying to download the main update and the issue was WiFi interference. My PS3, laptops, and phones all pick up the signal just fine but it was strong enough to download the update for the Wii U.

I would recommend what I had to do, drop $30 on a WiFi repeater. My weak wifi signal for where my Wii U is gave me an inconsistent connection. The repeater catches the wifi signal and re-broadcasts is so it is like having a second router on my floor. Very easy to configure as well.
---
XBL GT:KidKreole PSN:RoflJosh
If you believe in a "Console War", YOU are whats wrong with America.
#84moneyhead64Posted 12/5/2012 10:38:00 PMmessage detail
thenavysfinest7 posted...
moneyhead64 posted...

I had the same issue trying to download the main update and the issue was WiFi interference. My PS3, laptops, and phones all pick up the signal just fine but it was strong enough to download the update for the Wii U.

I would recommend what I had to do, drop $30 on a WiFi repeater. My weak wifi signal for where my Wii U is gave me an inconsistent connection. The repeater catches the wifi signal and re-broadcasts is so it is like having a second router on my floor. Very easy to configure as well.

Although I can try this for the future, I think I may have found a potential (but hopefully permanent) fix. I changed the security of my router from mixed WPA and WPA2 to just WPA2 with AES. This seems to have fixed the connection problems I was having but there is the occasional wifi drop. I at least managed to finish the new update as well as download the FIFA 13 demo. But thanks anyways.
#85DeathmetalgamerPosted 12/6/2012 11:40:17 AMmessage detail
lmao I can't believe how stupidly difficult it is to connect to the internet on the wii u. I literally lost all the internet in my house somehow trying to change my WEP security settings. It wasn't until now that I saw this topic.
#86DeathmetalgamerPosted 12/6/2012 12:26:48 PMmessage detail
Also I just tried that just now and it didn't work, the network showed up but not the internet. :(
#87topgamer101Posted 12/8/2012 5:04:00 PMmessage detail
My LAN connector finally came in and I connected it with the ethernet cable, and I still can't ****ing connect.

Seriously, why is this an issue? My other systems just work straight away, yet Nintendo seems to be VERY GOOD and screwing up connecting to a wireless (or currently in my case wired) source...
---
Games playing: Walking Dead, Xcom
#88dyami6687Posted 12/8/2012 6:56:15 PMmessage detail
I've been having issues where my Wii U will connect to the my WiFi, but it won't connect to the Nintendo Network(i.e the Eshop, Miiverse and Netflix)

Will this fix that, or should I look elsware?

Thanks.
#89topgamer101Posted 12/9/2012 9:27:37 AMmessage detail
Well after a little more fiddling I finally managed a connection.

When I tried wirelessly, it connected to the router, but still wouldn't connect to the internet. Annoying since I had my PC connect at that very moment.

The wired connection kicked in however, so that's a plus I guess.

I'm currently attempting to download the update. Had it kick me an error message once already before anything showed up on the bar, so I'm guessing I'll have a new problem here shortly.

Still thanks for the info on the fix.
---
Games playing: Walking Dead, Xcom
#90endoflevelbossPosted 12/11/2012 3:34:13 PMmessage detail
dyami6687 posted...
I've been having issues where my Wii U will connect to the my WiFi, but it won't connect to the Nintendo Network(i.e the Eshop, Miiverse and Netflix)

Will this fix that, or should I look elsware?

Thanks.

Same here. The browser works so it definitely has Internet connection but connecting to Nintendo Network and associated services results in error messages galore.

I'm wondering if a wifi repeater could help but given that it can connect to the wifi router already I'm just not sure. Moving the console closer to the router does seem to help though. It's annoying - no other device in my house (including original Wii) has a problem. There's definitely something up with the Wii U.