Nintendo charges $0.50 to register minors on Nintendo Network

#101dennis941012Posted 11/19/2012 3:31:09 AM
hypermoe posted...
I can understand why people would be upset. People arent complaining about the charge, its only 50 cents. What people are complaining about is that they are forcing people to put in information on something like a game system. May i remind people of what happen to the PSN a couple years ago? People in general do not want their information on something like a game system that is easily hackable. Hence why people use those pre-paid cards.

As an adult it doesnt bother me. i dont have to do this so im fine with it. For families though i guess its nice. this will make mothers/father think twice about their kids playing online as everyone will be owning this consoles. thus all types of people with different ways of life. What may be acceptable to you and your group of friends might not be ok with this or that person.

New U.S. law go argue with them >_>
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#102Combo MasterPosted 11/19/2012 4:48:16 AM
50 cent is 5 big blinds of 5/10 cent poker and thats how i make my living!!! it's big money to me
---
Combo Master
#103blankempathyPosted 11/19/2012 4:51:51 AM
SomnusNemoris posted...
quicksilvver posted...
Only people who care are kiddies

So 99% of the Nintendo fan base?

informed kiddies > ignorant adult.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#104CrabhammarPosted 11/19/2012 5:14:10 AM
Baha05 posted...
DifferentialEquation posted...
No, it's not the money itself. But rather, the principal of the thing.

Principal of what? That Nintendo is a bastard for doing something that a lot of companies have done similar? Activations fees do exists.

Bastard isn't censored? Today is a good day, bastards!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
PowerFAQs... is not that bad for quoting.
#105SomnusNemorisPosted 11/19/2012 7:05:13 AM
blankempathy posted...
informed kiddies > ignorant adult.

Nah man, you're not less than informed kiddies. Okay, you're right, maybe you are.
#106DustiiWolfPosted 11/20/2012 5:47:03 PM
AdamLazaruso posted...
DustiiWolf posted...
Ice_Commander posted...

Now does this all make sense? Its just trying to comply with child protection laws, as well as verify that the person helping the child is 100% a legal adult and has 100% given their consent.

No, it's exploiting child protection laws. There are plenty of ways to comply with child protection laws without charging a non-refundable fee. Such as charging a refundable fee, like many websites do (and if Yahoo don't then boo them as well).

Nintendo on the other hand are just giving themselves an extra stream of revenue by exploiting kids and their parents who don't know any better under the pretense of "It's to protect the kids!". That is wrong, whether they're charging 50 cents or a BILLION cents.

Imagine if WalMart charged people 50 cents when they enter the store with kids and say that it's in order to ensure the kids can't buy any alcohol. Do you think that would be right?

Not all card companies and cards support refunds. Such as gift card VISAs. Its not exploitation. Remember: this is for Nintendo Network. Think XBOX Live. Microsoft states in their TOS that Live isnt even intended for use by children under 13 unless under adult supervision. Nintendo Network is bound to have people with nasty comments and foul languages. They cant moderate everyone at once. Plus, why would a ten year old need to buy something off the eShop or post screenshots for game tips and make VIDEO CALLS? Answer: they wouldnt. That stuff is both geared to adults and teens. The parents are probably the ones making the purchases and stuff anyways. If you think of what Nintendo Network is for, then think of your average below-thirteen Nintendo gamer, they probably wont be using the service anyways. they'll probably just be making Miis and playing Nintendo Land. A child can lie about their age, name, and numerous other info, but they cant magically forge a valid credit card number that can be charged.

So its understandable.

"Nintendo Network Account for Children Aged 12 and Under

In accordance with the Child Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), a parent or guardian must provide consent to set up a Nintendo Network Account for children under age 13. To verify that a parent or guardian has granted consent, they will need to provide a valid credit card number when setting up a Nintendo Network Account for the child.

A one-time fee of $0.50 is charged to verify that a parent or guardian has provided consent.

Credit card information is not stored on the Wii U, and cannot be used to make additional purchases through the system.

A fee is not needed to set up subsequent child accounts on the system. Once the first child account has been set up, your Parental Control PIN is all that is required to set up additional child accounts." - Nintendo Support Page on WiiU accounts

As you see, its only a one time charge too. No big deal. It also, like i had stated, says the charge is to verify you are a legal adult (and the parent, hopefully) and give your consent. REMEMBER: Children can easily falsify age information. They cant easily falsify a valid credit card (unless they are a child hacker prodigyor something).

I really dont see everyone's fuss. Microsoft charges users a monthly fee for some features (messaging, video chat) that Nintendo gives users for free. So if they ask for 50 cents it shouldnt be a problem.