Nintendo charges $0.50 to register minors on Nintendo Network

#21ElGadoPosted 11/18/2012 8:09:08 AM
Many parents will say no just because they don't want to give out their credit card info, not because they don't want their kids going online.
#22TrueBlue91Posted 11/18/2012 8:11:04 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
As low as the charge is, this is such a cheap tactic (no pun intended) for a bit of extra money. They're just interested in maximum profit and little else, which is kinda saddening.

At least their dev teams are still interested in making quality products, they're just usually given tiny budgets.

*sigh*

---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#23sejan12Posted 11/18/2012 8:11:38 AM
I think its good that they are at least trying to make sure that parents are aware of their children's online activities.

Question: Is user creation lockable by parental controls? Is it one of the default settings when you activate parental controls?
#24Master_HapposaiPosted 11/18/2012 8:11:54 AM
Master_Happosai posted...
Stealing pocket change from the kiddies. How low can nintendo go...

They aren't stealing anything from kids. You obviously don't understand the point.

The point is, the kid HAS to ask their parents for the card so the parents will know that they're allowing their kids to play games online with strangers. If the parent decide they don't want that, then they don't pay the 50 cents.

Every company i know changes $1 to verify a card and then cancels the translation. Nintendo is charging $0.50 per a pop. If 2 million kids sign up, they get 1 million dollars. Obviously they want to make up for their weak fiscal year so far.
#25WolfMasterZeroPosted 11/18/2012 8:12:27 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
As low as the charge is, this is such a cheap tactic (no pun intended) for a bit of extra money. They're just interested in maximum profit and little else, which is kinda saddening.

At least their dev teams are still interested in making quality products, they're just usually given tiny budgets.

*sigh*

Yes at least Ubisofr still cares about quality games and not money.
---
Not changing this signature until I feel like it.
Started on 7/26/2012.
#26Master_HapposaiPosted 11/18/2012 8:13:47 AM
.50 cents isn't very much people

That is not the point.
#27TrueBlue91Posted 11/18/2012 8:14:08 AM
WolfMasterZero posted...
TrueBlue91 posted...

*sigh*

Yes at least Ubisofr still cares about quality games and not money.

I'm talking about Nintendo's own development divisions. The people who brought us the Mario Galaxy games, Skyward Sword etc.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#28crazyman32Posted 11/18/2012 8:16:46 AM
Master_Happosai posted...
.50 cents isn't very much people

That is not the point.

I think Nintendo did it to obviously for the parents to follow their kids activities and yes making money off it is probably another reason I wouldn't doubt that.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KaOrSuWZeM
#29leonodoPosted 11/18/2012 8:18:06 AM
Lol I was just joking earlier, 50 cents is nothing to tell the truth
---
Sunshine is overrated...
#30j_darrellPosted 11/18/2012 8:34:18 AM(edited)
There are better ways to do it, but it's good enough if you don't expect that level of competence.

I'm guessing users without credit cards just won't care and use only one account?

(Edit: Or older accounts, I'm not sure how it works yet...)