Nintendo charges $0.50 to register minors on Nintendo Network

#51SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 11/18/2012 8:21:27 AM(edited)
Well to be fair, if a company had its entire terms of service on the outside of a box, you would literally just have tiny text covering the box from edge to edge on every side. Has anybody actually READ any of the manuals that come with the Wii U? I don't have one, so I can't look this up, but there's a possibility that it is listed in one of the booklets somewhere.

There are a lot of people saying how it is a bad idea and they hate it but are not explaining why they think so. It helps a lot of different people. One it keeps kids away from hearing the mindless people of the internet complain about things and cuss up a storm for no reason, but it also helps the older generations of people who don't want to deal with the KIDS doing the same thing. Sometimes it is nice to place a fighting game and not hear an 8-year-old over my TV acting like, well, an 8-year-old.

Yeah the take fifty cents. Which is probably somewhere in your car seat or sitting in random places in your house. So the price isn't ridiculous. Secondly, as it was said they probably aren't making a HUGE profit from it seeing as they then have to pay the credit card companies a ridiculous fee as well. Even if they do make a few cents, is that so bad? Oh man we better not support this gaming company that could use that money to help build a better online experience. Nintendo is a company, out for profit, like every other company. I'm not saying they should just scam us all and take our money, but really look at what you're complaining about right now. Fifty cents to verify a child's age.

Also is specifically says they will not be keeping your credit information. So, the risk of fraud is probably pretty low. And if something does happen, guess who is liable? Nintendo! Secondly, you can get around that by just getting a quick little pre-paid Visa. So therefore there is iiterally no point in that end of the argument. It's moot.
---
Black 2 Friend Code: 4857 4263 3677
#52DTY3Posted 11/18/2012 8:21:10 AM
ElGado posted...
DTY3 posted...
AdamLazaruso posted...
I am amazed that there are people defending this.

Sorry but I'm not underaged.

Couple that with the fact that this keeps brats off, and is only 50 cents?

Why wouldn't anyone be ok with this?

Credit card fraud and hacking. For 50 cents, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Paranoia at its finest.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#53Baha05Posted 11/18/2012 8:21:44 AM
DifferentialEquation posted...
No, it's not the money itself. But rather, the principal of the thing.

Principal of what? That Nintendo is a bastard for doing something that a lot of companies have done similar? Activations fees do exists.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#54AdamLazarusoPosted 11/18/2012 8:23:40 AM
SimplyAwesomeAJ posted...

There are a lot of people saying how it is a bad idea and they hate it but are not explaining why they think so. It helps a lot of different people. One it keeps kids away from hearing the mindless people of the internet complain about things and cuss up a storm for no reason, but it also helps the older generations of people who don't want to deal with the KIDS doing the same thing. Sometimes it is nice to place a fighting game and not hear an 8-year-old over my TV acting like, well, an 8-year-old.

Yeah the take fifty cents. Which is probably somewhere in your car seat or sitting in random places in your house. So the price isn't ridiculous. Secondly, as it was said they probably aren't making a HUGE profit from it seeing as they then have to pay the credit card companies a ridiculous fee as well. Even if they do make a few cents, is that so bad? Oh man we better not support this gaming company that could use that money to help build a better online experience. Nintendo is a company, out for profit, like every other company. I'm not saying they should just scam us all and take our money, but really look at what you're complaining about right now. Fifty cents to verify a child's age.

First you seem to say "It's good because it will keep kids away" and then "It's only fifty cents, it won't keep anyone away!".

The amount of money they're charging is irrelevant. The point is they shouldn't be charging any amount of money at all. There are other ways to verify parental consent, such as a 1 cent refundable charge, for example.

This isn't the same as charging for an online service like Xbox Live at all - because they aren't charging for a service, they're just springing a charge on you for the sake of additional income which I very much doubt will be used to improve anything.

Fifty cents isn't a lot but they're charging fifty cents for nothing.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#55DifferentialEquationPosted 11/18/2012 8:23:57 AM
Baha05 posted...
DifferentialEquation posted...
No, it's not the money itself. But rather, the principal of the thing.

Principal of what? That Nintendo is a bastard for doing something that a lot of companies have done similar? Activations fees do exists.

When? I don't recall any other game companies doing something like this.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#56tomloadsadoshPosted 11/18/2012 8:25:29 AM
50 cents? That's like 1 billion dollars, it's really expensive!
#57ShadowkhNinjaPosted 11/18/2012 8:27:38 AM
Good idea to keep kids off.
+10 nintendo
---
"The more things change, the more they stay the same."
-Snake Plissken-
#58SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 11/18/2012 8:28:30 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
SimplyAwesomeAJ posted...

First you seem to say "It's good because it will keep kids away" and then "It's only fifty cents, it won't keep anyone away!".

The amount of money they're charging is irrelevant. The point is they shouldn't be charging any amount of money at all. There are other ways to verify parental consent, such as a 1 cent refundable charge, for example.

This isn't the same as charging for an online service like Xbox Live at all - because they aren't charging for a service, they're just springing a charge on you for the sake of additional income which I very much doubt will be used to improve anything.

Fifty cents isn't a lot but they're charging fifty cents for nothing.

I wasn't saying that "it won't keep anyone away!" I was saying that fifty cents is easy to come by, so it's not a lot out of pocket. Sure a kid could find fifty cents but he can't do anything with it unless he has a credit card.

Here's the thing, if you don't agree with it, don't pay it? If you're an adult, you shouldn't really care because it quite honesly DOESN'T effect you. If you're a child, then it is up to your parents in the first place anyway to let you play online or not. If you're an adult with a child and you feel uncomfortable with it, then just say no to your kid playing online. It shouldn't be something people should be getting so annoyed with.
---
Black 2 Friend Code: 4857 4263 3677
#59AdamLazarusoPosted 11/18/2012 8:30:49 AM
"It doesn't affect you" just isn't very good logic. I don't own a PS3 so I wasn't affected by the PSN security breach a while back but I can still say with some conviction that that was a bad thing and criticise Sony for their handling of it.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#60ElGadoPosted 11/18/2012 8:32:38 AM
For the sake of the argument, lets just say that you don't need to pay anything. You just have to use your credit card to verify.

The issue is not the 50 cents. The issue is plugging your credit card number in.