Nintendo charges $0.50 to register minors on Nintendo Network

#61MelkacPosted 11/18/2012 9:33:31 AM
WolfMasterZero posted...
crowkillers posted...
I understand what they're doing, but couldn't a kid just easily get around this..?

Kids aren't smart enough

You don't get a brain till you're 18

I'm glad to know I got my brain when I turned 13.

Great idea Nintendo.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhMT138BHo&feature=g-vrec
#62MelkacPosted 11/18/2012 9:36:08 AM
NeoGAF's users reaction:
"Wow, this is a pretty original idea, Nintendo. Good thing to keep those annoying kids out of my call of duty"

GameFAQS' users reaction:
"OH MY GOD NINTENDO IS STEALING THE MONEY FROM KIDS 50 CENTS IS TOO MUCH WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?!"

Talks a lot about the average intelligence of GameFAQS' users...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyhMT138BHo&feature=g-vrec
#63TheDarkNerdPosted 11/18/2012 9:37:02 AM
NeoGAF's users reaction:
"Wow, this is a pretty original idea, Nintendo. Good thing to keep those annoying kids out of my call of duty"

GameFAQS' users reaction:
"OH MY GOD NINTENDO IS STEALING THE MONEY FROM KIDS 50 CENTS IS TOO MUCH WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS?!"

Talks a lot about the average intelligence of GameFAQS' users...

But what they're stealing is credit card numbers. . .
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#64Ice_CommanderPosted 11/18/2012 9:43:03 AM
What if you're 16 or 17? They must feel pretty annoyed at seeing this.
---
It's been a while. . . . .
#65KlobziPosted 11/18/2012 9:46:05 AM
I don't even have a credit card. A lot of people in Europe don't.
#66AdamLazarusoPosted 11/18/2012 9:47:01 AM
Klobzi posted...

I would imagine a debit card will be fine.

If it isn't though then this goes from being 'dumb' to being 'completely and utterly laughable'.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#67SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 11/18/2012 9:48:56 AM
ElGado posted...
For the sake of the argument, lets just say that you don't need to pay anything. You just have to use your credit card to verify.

The issue is not the 50 cents. The issue is plugging your credit card number in.

But again, that can easily be avoided by just getting a prepaid card and using that instead. Problem solved.

AdamLazaruso posted...
"It doesn't affect you" just isn't very good logic. I don't own a PS3 so I wasn't affected by the PSN security breach a while back but I can still say with some conviction that that was a bad thing and criticise Sony for their handling of it.

In this situation it is pretty sound logic. Because nothing bad has actually happened. Nobody has been hacked, nothing of the sort. Again, as it has been stated before, if the issue is fear of fraud then use a prepaid card. I mean, christ, how many times have you used your card to get gas? Given it to the 17 year old waiter at a restaurant knowing that if they wanted to they COULD write down your number? Ordered ANYTHING online ever? If there is such a fear of fraud, don't use credit cards period, or use prepaid Visa cards.
---
Black 2 Friend Code: 4857 4263 3677
#68TheDarkNerdPosted 11/18/2012 9:49:34 AM
Klobzi posted...

I would imagine a debit card will be fine.

If it isn't though then this goes from being 'dumb' to being 'completely and utterly laughable'.

I'm Canadian and my debit card doesn't have an expiry date or a 3-digit security code. Unless there's a specific Interac option for payment, I wouldn't be able to use my debit card as a credit card.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#69cavebear56Posted 11/18/2012 9:49:41 AM
Absolutely brilliant.

Since may parents today pay very little attention to what their children play, sad state of the world where a company has to take steps towards forcing parents to be slightly more active (which as soon as it's finished they'll go right back to being completely and utterly lost).
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#70AdamLazarusoPosted 11/18/2012 9:55:36 AM
SimplyAwesomeAJ posted...

AdamLazaruso posted...
"It doesn't affect you" just isn't very good logic. I don't own a PS3 so I wasn't affected by the PSN security breach a while back but I can still say with some conviction that that was a bad thing and criticise Sony for their handling of it.

In this situation it is pretty sound logic. Because nothing bad has actually happened. Nobody has been hacked, nothing of the sort.

Something bad has happened. Nintendo are springing an unnecessary charge on people and pretending that it's in the interest of protecting children. I can not see any way to morally justify that.

I don't think credit card fraud is a real risk here.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.