Nintendo charges $0.50 to register minors on Nintendo Network

#71NarutoPosted 11/18/2012 10:00:10 AM
Klobzi posted...
I don't even have a credit card. A lot of people in Europe don't.

How do you build credit in Europe?
#72SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 11/18/2012 10:02:20 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
SimplyAwesomeAJ posted...

AdamLazaruso posted...
"It doesn't affect you" just isn't very good logic. I don't own a PS3 so I wasn't affected by the PSN security breach a while back but I can still say with some conviction that that was a bad thing and criticise Sony for their handling of it.

In this situation it is pretty sound logic. Because nothing bad has actually happened. Nobody has been hacked, nothing of the sort.

Something bad has happened. Nintendo are springing an unnecessary charge on people and pretending that it's in the interest of protecting children. I can not see any way to morally justify that.

I don't think credit card fraud is a real risk here.

I guess I just see this as one of those "choose your battles" scenarios. Where, really, it is hard for me to be upset over something pretty damn trivial. I mean, hell, you pay close to $50.00 each year for a sticker on your license plate. A STICKER. Is that something to get upset about? Most definitely! Every year. I hate it, it's annoying and pointless and just a way to take money.

This, however, does have some degree of reasoning behind it. And that being said, it's fifty cents. Once. Ever. So it's hard to really bother wanting to fight Nintendo over it when it can be done and finished and people can go on and enjoy gaming again. If it was like every month? Sure that would be ridiculous.

It's fine to get upset about things, but there are some topics where it's better to just say "well whatever" and move on. It sucks, but is easily dealt with. We, as people, get ripped off in FAR bigger ways than fifty cents so a child can play an online video game.
---
Black 2 Friend Code: 4857 4263 3677
#73FarplaneDragonPosted 11/18/2012 10:06:57 AM
I guess I just see this as one of those "choose your battles" scenarios. Where, really, it is hard for me to be upset over something pretty damn trivial. I mean, hell, you pay close to $50.00 each year for a sticker on your license plate. A STICKER. Is that something to get upset about? Most definitely! Every year. I hate it, it's annoying and pointless and just a way to take money.

Please tell me where you live so I can move there. It's just under $100 a year where I live.
---
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.
#74SSJ4CHRISPosted 11/18/2012 10:20:31 AM
They needed some way to get over selling the system at a loss, didn't they? You people should have bought more 3DS' if you don't like it. Lol, just kidding. I don't have or want a 3DS, and I'll just lie when I set up my kids "User" accounts. They let you block things for a reason.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#75SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 11/18/2012 10:28:20 AM
FarplaneDragon posted...

Please tell me where you live so I can move there. It's just under $100 a year where I live.

Well currently Florida, but I haven't changed my plates yet. It was Ohio before. $32.50 for the sticker and $20.00 for county taxes. From what I understand Florida rates are similar to Ohio as well. Where is it that is charging $100?
---
#76FarplaneDragonPosted 11/18/2012 11:06:53 AM
SimplyAwesomeAJ posted...
FarplaneDragon posted...

Well currently Florida, but I haven't changed my plates yet. It was Ohio before. $32.50 for the sticker and $20.00 for county taxes. From what I understand Florida rates are similar to Ohio as well. Where is it that is charging $100?

Illinois. We love charging for things around here.
---
Don't try to think we can understand each other. For some reason, people think that they can do that. Remember that they can't. Never completely. Never enough.
#77AdamLazarusoPosted 11/18/2012 11:12:10 AM
I don't think it's that little a battle. In fact, the more I think about it the more wrong I think it is. They're exploiting child protection laws in order to make money.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#78SimplyAwesomeAJPosted 11/18/2012 11:35:34 AM
AdamLazaruso posted...
I don't think it's that little a battle. In fact, the more I think about it the more wrong I think it is. They're exploiting child protection laws in order to make money.

Exploiting would be charging just children like $10.00 every single month. A one time expense of fifty cents is hardly an exploit.

I do not know the reason as to why they charge it, nor does anyone else at the moment, but there are various reason as to why they might do so. It could be to cover fees from credit card companies, as not all companies have wonderful rates with them, it could be just another step to ensure it is a legit card, it could be just another safety measure. Or maybe Nintendo is just being "greedy" and really counted on making a few pennies after their pay the credit card companies per child to "get rich quick." I mean it's not exactly like they are making a massive amount of money from this.

Hell, you could always call up their customer service and ask, honestly. I've spoken with them before on issues and they seem like pretty normal people. Maybe they will give you a real reason as to the charge of fifty cents. Or maybe they will just give you some lame corporate reason, but regardless, fifty cents is a drop in the hat in the course of your life time. Get mad if it continues down a spiral of extra charges for other small things, not for this. (Not saying you're like furious or anything, just making a point). Again, there are plenty of other ways we get ripped off, might be better to put your energies towards trying to settle those accounts as opposed to this one.
---
#79Red_hot_smasherPosted 11/18/2012 11:49:50 AM
ElGado posted...
Many parents will say no just because they don't want to give out their credit card info, not because they don't want their kids going online.

A) This.
and
B) Aren't there special credit cards you can get as a minor (with guardian's consent, presumably)? I know there's a type of Visa and a type of MasterCard you can get as a minor here in Sweden, at least.
---
www.avaaz.org, www.allout.org, www.amnesty.org
All these organisations for human rights, and yet noone cares about the victims of copyright law. ;,(
#80Sol_ClydePosted 11/18/2012 11:51:28 AM
LOL
What's the point?
50 cents is nothing. Might as well get rid of that.
---
Want to make the boards a better place?
REPORT bad posts and topics so the moderators can do something about it.