Nintendo charges $0.50 to register minors on Nintendo Network

#81TheDarkNerdPosted 11/18/2012 11:57:04 AM
They're exploiting child protection laws in order to make money.

The only people making money off this is the credit card companies, and even then the fee they collect may very well be equal to the cost of logistics involved.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#82DTY3Posted 11/18/2012 12:36:18 PM
Wait why is this an issue? It only affects kids under 13....they shouldn't be online anyway...
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#83Omar_Comin_YoPosted 11/18/2012 12:39:56 PM
You could just say you're over 13...problem solved.
---
All in the game, yo
#84ColorfulColorsPosted 11/18/2012 12:43:04 PM
Are people seriously calling Nintendo greedy for charging 50 cents? WOW.
---
sonic777 desperate to make me mad.
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed. ~SuperShyGuy9000
#85LordBowserPosted 11/18/2012 2:34:37 PM
Oh man, is a one time payment of 50 cents really that big of a deal?

The drama over this is hilariously bad.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#86DustiiWolfPosted 11/18/2012 3:49:27 PM
Ice_Commander posted...
What if you're 16 or 17? They must feel pretty annoyed at seeing this.

First off, It's only for people under 13.
<link>http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/account_your_account.jsp</link> > General Info > "Is the Nintendo Network free?"

Second off, Nintendo isn't the first at this. Yahoo! does the same thing when setting up someone under the age of 13 an account. I tried to get my sister a Yahoo! email and it said in order to verify that you are a legal adult, they required a credit card that would be charged a non-refundable 50 cents. Though i think there was an option to send the 50 cents to charity.

Point is, charging them isn't an activation fee. Its to make sure 10 year old's don't go and input their parents info without their consent and say they have consent. A 10 year old can input their parents birthday and name, but they cant have a credit card, and you have to be AT least 13 to get a re-loadable prepaid VISA, which requires parental cosign. So by making sure that you have a valid CHARGEABLE credit card (kids are sometimes given their parents old void cards to play with) they can verify you are AT LEAST 13, if not most likely 18 or older. And the only way to know if the card can be charged and is valid, they have to charge it. 50 cents is about as small as can be allowed with some companies, so that's most likely why its 50 cents. (Some credit card companies wont allow charges under 50 cents. I once heard of a guy try and buy a piece of gum that was on sale for 30 cents, and he had to get another pack because his card wouldn't allow 30 cents to be charged.)

Now does this all make sense? Its just trying to comply with child protection laws, as well as verify that the person helping the child is 100% a legal adult and has 100% given their consent.
#87AdamLazarusoPosted 11/19/2012 2:16:05 AM(edited)
DustiiWolf posted...
Ice_Commander posted...

Now does this all make sense? Its just trying to comply with child protection laws, as well as verify that the person helping the child is 100% a legal adult and has 100% given their consent.

No, it's exploiting child protection laws. There are plenty of ways to comply with child protection laws without charging a non-refundable fee. Such as charging a refundable fee, like many websites do (and if Yahoo don't then boo them as well).

Nintendo on the other hand are just giving themselves an extra stream of revenue by exploiting kids and their parents who don't know any better under the pretense of "It's to protect the kids!". That is wrong, whether they're charging 50 cents or a BILLION cents.

Imagine if WalMart charged people 50 cents when they enter the store with kids and say that it's in order to ensure the kids can't buy any alcohol. Do you think that would be right?
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#88ElectricMolePosted 11/19/2012 2:17:43 AM
how many nickels and dimes is that for Iwata?
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#89kayoticdreamzPosted 11/19/2012 2:20:46 AM
LOL this is hilarious. stupid to think anyone would actually pay this and not just lie about their age(sort of like those age restricted videos that i laugh at constantly)....but this is just funny seeing it on a console.
#90Sailor GoonPosted 11/19/2012 2:25:36 AM
ColorfulColors posted...
Are people seriously calling Nintendo greedy for charging 50 cents? WOW.

50 cents x several million users adds up
---
As told to me by Gamefaqs admin: They hire 17 year olds as moderators!
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh