So, can you play games from a External HDD?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. So, can you play games from a External HDD?
4 years ago#11
http://www.staples.com/Western-Digital-My-Passport-320GB-USB-30-Portable-Hard-Drive-WDBKXH3200ABK-Black/product_722956

+some coupons = total price being $40
psn/xbl= libatako
@(> , <)@
4 years ago#12
lolwhutnubies posted...
You cannot copy a game from retail disc to hdd and play without disc (ala xbox 360 & ps3)

Wait, what? You can't do that on the PS3. o_O
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?
4 years ago#13
lolwhutnubies posted...
You cannot copy a game from retail disc to hdd and play without disc (ala xbox 360 & ps3)

Having a 360, this is not entirely true. You still need the disc in order to play the game on your HDD. This is so close-quarters piracy is not possible.
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
4 years ago#14
lolwhutnubies posted...
Yes you can play from USB hdd.
You CANNOT play from:
sd card or flash drives [thumb drive, usb stick etc]

I know from:
I have my WD 500gb passport hooked up to my wii U, i have NSMBU & scribble naughts on it.

What you cannot do:

well that's pretty much confirmed then, WTH was the article talking about then?
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
4 years ago#15
The disk must still be inserted in the console (X360/PS3) to play retail disk-based games saved on the HDD.
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
4 years ago#16
will the game play on hdd if you download a game from eshop? you wont have a disc?
4 years ago#17
Poopcorn13 posted...
lolwhutnubies posted...

Having a 360, this is not entirely true. You still need the disc in order to play the game on your HDD. This is so close-quarters piracy is not possible.

Uh, hold on. You say what he said is "not entirely true", but then you go on to confirm what he said. Please clarify?
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
4 years ago#18
Logical_One posted...
The disk must still be inserted in the console (X360/PS3) to play retail disk-based games saved on the HDD.

Didn't realize you could install disc games to the HDD like you could on 360.

I know the 2 games i downloaded last night from the eShop downloaded to my HDD by default, even though i still have the 25GB of system memory left. The both play fine from the USB HDD.
PSN - xSimpleCRIPPLEx
Xbox Live - SimpleCRIPPLE
4 years ago#19
lolwhutnubies posted...
Yes you can play from USB hdd.
You CANNOT play from:
sd card or flash drives [thumb drive, usb stick etc]

I know from:
I have my WD 500gb passport hooked up to my wii U, i have NSMBU & scribble naughts on it.

What you cannot do:

You cant do that on ps3 or 360 either. Disk has to remain in the drive.
GT : DeadJericho / PSN : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
4 years ago#20
This is why I bought all of my games off the eshop (Mario, ZombiU so far). So I can play them without needing the disc. And the games are downloaded to the external HDD automatically. I haven't bothered trying to copy a game to the internal flash memory. I'm not sure if it'd make a difference or not. Besides the initial game loading, load times during play are pretty fast or nonexistent.

Now I just hope my external HDD doesn't die. I've had a bad track record with those (every external HDD I've ever owned eventually died).
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. So, can you play games from a External HDD?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived