Can someone point me to a good USB HDD

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can someone point me to a good USB HDD
3 years ago#1
Can anyone recommend one that they know works with the system? My Wii U has rejected the Toshiba one I already have.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
3 years ago#2
http://www.staples.com/Western-Digital-My-Passport-320GB-USB-30-Portable-Hard-Drive-WDBKXH3200ABK-Black/product_722956
---
psn/xbl= libatako
@(> , <)@
3 years ago#3
OzzieArcane posted...
Can anyone recommend one that they know works with the system? My Wii U has rejected the Toshiba one I already have.

What do you mean by it rejected the toshiba one? I'm curious because I have a toshiba but wasn't going to hook it up until my 25 GB got lower.
---
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
3 years ago#4
maybe it was 3.0.....or it was just broken, wonky, or some other reason.

Some people have complained here throughout the day that some usb hdd's havent worked properly.
---
psn/xbl= libatako
@(> , <)@
3 years ago#5
I'm still wondering what size I should go with...500gb will probably last me the gen, but maybe 1tb to be comfortable.
---
Stu, what are you doing?
3 years ago#6
It's likely a format issue. Have you tried formatting to FAT32?
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
3 years ago#7
mhunterchump posted...
OzzieArcane posted...

What do you mean by it rejected the toshiba one? I'm curious because I have a toshiba but wasn't going to hook it up until my 25 GB got lower.

When I tried to format it just kept saying it couldn't format it.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
3 years ago#8
I used a Western Digital with my original Wii, worked perfectly.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner.
3 years ago#9
I had a toshiba hdd on my wii u, but while the console could see and format it, it would end up freezing when trying to go back to the settings menu. Using a Y adapter fixed that though. Most of these usb powered hdd's are going to need the extra power you'd get if you got a usb y adapter cord.
I suppose a person that doesn't mind opening thier Wii U and voiding the warrenty could do that and just bridge the 5 volt line between 2 of the usb ports on there Wii U. I wouldn't recomend that though.
(edited by Playsaver)
3 years ago#10
OzzieArcane posted...

I'm using an older Western Digital 100GB 7200RPM notebook drive I took out of my old MacBook Pro and a cheap $8 USB enclosure I got off eBay. Works great. Was recognized instantly by the WiiU and I've downloaded, patched and played Mario without any issues.
---
PSN - xSimpleCRIPPLEx
Xbox Live - SimpleCRIPPLE
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Can someone point me to a good USB HDD

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived