Can someone point me to a good USB HDD

#1OzzieArcanePosted 11/18/2012 9:03:08 PM
Can anyone recommend one that they know works with the system? My Wii U has rejected the Toshiba one I already have.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#2libatakoPosted 11/18/2012 9:28:07 PM
http://www.staples.com/Western-Digital-My-Passport-320GB-USB-30-Portable-Hard-Drive-WDBKXH3200ABK-Black/product_722956
---
psn/xbl= libatako
@(> , <)@
#3mhunterchumpPosted 11/18/2012 9:34:54 PM
OzzieArcane posted...
Can anyone recommend one that they know works with the system? My Wii U has rejected the Toshiba one I already have.

What do you mean by it rejected the toshiba one? I'm curious because I have a toshiba but wasn't going to hook it up until my 25 GB got lower.
---
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#4libatakoPosted 11/18/2012 9:37:44 PM
maybe it was 3.0.....or it was just broken, wonky, or some other reason.

Some people have complained here throughout the day that some usb hdd's havent worked properly.
---
psn/xbl= libatako
@(> , <)@
#5Great_Pudding_3Posted 11/18/2012 9:39:06 PM
I'm still wondering what size I should go with...500gb will probably last me the gen, but maybe 1tb to be comfortable.
---
Stu, what are you doing?
#6NicodimusPosted 11/18/2012 9:39:27 PM
It's likely a format issue. Have you tried formatting to FAT32?
---
PSN #1: Nicodimus - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Kaylee (Fighter)
PSN #2: Nicodimus222 - Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Mina (Mage)
#7OzzieArcane(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 11:43:09 AM
mhunterchump posted...
OzzieArcane posted...

What do you mean by it rejected the toshiba one? I'm curious because I have a toshiba but wasn't going to hook it up until my 25 GB got lower.

When I tried to format it just kept saying it couldn't format it.
---
Check out reviews by me and my friends at www.reviewersunknown.com
#8mcnichojPosted 11/19/2012 11:43:45 AM
I used a Western Digital with my original Wii, worked perfectly.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj
Proud Vita/3DS/Wii U owner.
#9PlaysaverPosted 11/19/2012 11:51:33 AM(edited)
I had a toshiba hdd on my wii u, but while the console could see and format it, it would end up freezing when trying to go back to the settings menu. Using a Y adapter fixed that though. Most of these usb powered hdd's are going to need the extra power you'd get if you got a usb y adapter cord.
I suppose a person that doesn't mind opening thier Wii U and voiding the warrenty could do that and just bridge the 5 volt line between 2 of the usb ports on there Wii U. I wouldn't recomend that though.
#10SimpleCRIPPLEPosted 11/19/2012 11:53:44 AM
OzzieArcane posted...

I'm using an older Western Digital 100GB 7200RPM notebook drive I took out of my old MacBook Pro and a cheap $8 USB enclosure I got off eBay. Works great. Was recognized instantly by the WiiU and I've downloaded, patched and played Mario without any issues.
---
PSN - xSimpleCRIPPLEx
Xbox Live - SimpleCRIPPLE