I don't get how scalpers can do it during such a tough time of year...

#11crowkillersPosted 11/18/2012 10:59:50 PM
Scalpers are not forcing anyone to buy anything... It's not like they have a drug that will cure someone's ailment that they are selling for $100 more than it cost to make it...

Oh wait...
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
www.crowkillers.com
#12DarkECOJak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:00:07 PM
chaos_sage0265 posted...
DarkECOJak posted...
I mean morally, how can these people not look into a mirror and be disgusted at themselves? The economy (in the US) is still in a sorry state and people are struggling just to make ends meet, let alone be able to get Christmas presents for their kids. The fact that scalpers are willing to take advantage of others by charging double or sometimes more for consoles just to make a profit for themselves is sickening. Yeah, money is important and necessary to survive, but if these people really needed the extra cash they wouldn't have the money to purchase a Wii U in the first place, let alone sit around waiting for an eBay auction to end.

I work in electronics for a retail store and managed to get a deluxe set reserved when they came in, a lucky break since I could only get the standard one reserved at Gamestop. With the intention of taking my reserve off at Gamestop, I first ended up meeting a couple at my job who desperately wanted the basic standard edition to give their daughter as a Christmas gift. Although I knew I could make quite a bit selling the extra Wii U, I took it upon myself to offer it to them just so their daughter could wake up on Christmas with something to look forward to. The look of shock on their faces was priceless, but worth way more thank a few extra hundred bucks in my pocket.

I fully admit that it's rare for me to do many selfless acts. I look out for myself as much as the next guy. But the feeling I got seeing how happy that couple was made me realize just how sick this scalping this really is. I saw the desperation firsthand and thought about how I'd feel in the same situation. The same feeling I got trying to find the original Wii all those years ago.

Scalpers, you're going to do this regardless of what some guy on the internet thinks. But I hope the next time someone does a random act of kindness for you, you question whether or not you're deserving of it.

See, it's funny. A few weeks ago, I broke down in the middle of the hood in the cold/pouring rain. A homeless guy with no jacket, only a short sleeve shirt and a blanket, was huddled under a rafter trying to get warm. I had a bunch of extra warm clothes in the back seat of my car so I got out and gave them all to him. We got to talking and then walked to the nearest food joint and I paid for his meal. We sat and talked for an hour while I waited on AAA to tow my vehicle. Imagine walking into a diner and seeing a prep sitting with a bum talking over burgers.

I reserved two Wii U's with the sole purpose of reselling both of them. Who are you to judge me on whether or not I'm a good person?

So you'll help a homeless guy who can't afford a meal, a home or clothes on his back, simply knowing he needed the help as another human being. Yet you have no issues with buying up hard-to-find items during the holiday season and reselling them at a price only desperate people are going to go for? Your position as a "good person" really isn't up for debate when you're fully admitting to doing something hypocritical.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#13chaos_sage0265Posted 11/18/2012 11:05:17 PM
DarkECOJak posted...
So you'll help a homeless guy who can't afford a meal, a home or clothes on his back, simply knowing he needed the help as another human being. Yet you have no issues with buying up hard-to-find items during the holiday season and reselling them at a price only desperate people are going to go for? Your position as a "good person" really isn't up for debate when you're fully admitting to doing something hypocritical.

How is it hypocritical? Please explain. There's nothing wrong about reselling a luxury item at a higher price. It is not immoral. It is not evil.
---
"We will be remembered for this. White Wall."
#14Baha05Posted 11/18/2012 11:05:24 PM
crowkillers posted...
My buddy just lost his job at Hostess and people are selling the twinkies that his company made for $5 a pack on Ebay, meanwhile my buddy has to collect unemployment until he finds a new job...

Now if my buddy bought a Wii U for his kids and decided it would be best to sell it because of his "Tough time of the year" is he wrong..?

Big difference in that though because if your buddy only bought one console and one only and was going with the best options for his family the only wrong in that is him buying it in the first place.

With scalpers they for the most part are buying in larger numbers, thus not only screwing potential buyers for retail stores that really want it but praying on the desperate.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#15emagdnEPosted 11/18/2012 11:07:45 PM
The economy (in the US) is still in a sorry state and people are struggling just to make ends meet, let alone be able to get Christmas presents for their kids.

uh huh

.....so they try their hand at scalping in order to make some cash to make THEIR ends meet, to buy Christmas presents for THEIR kids

ever stop to think about that?
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#16crowkillersPosted 11/18/2012 11:08:36 PM
Baha05 posted...
crowkillers posted...
My buddy just lost his job at Hostess and people are selling the twinkies that his company made for $5 a pack on Ebay, meanwhile my buddy has to collect unemployment until he finds a new job...

Now if my buddy bought a Wii U for his kids and decided it would be best to sell it because of his "Tough time of the year" is he wrong..?

Big difference in that though because if your buddy only bought one console and one only and was going with the best options for his family the only wrong in that is him buying it in the first place.

With scalpers they for the most part are buying in larger numbers, thus not only screwing potential buyers for retail stores that really want it but praying on the desperate.

Hostess just closed up a couple days ago and the system was already preordered and paid off for months..

There is a difference between people that scalp Luxury items and necessities like food...
---
www.crowkillers.com
#17wolf_blitzer85Posted 11/18/2012 11:08:37 PM
Scalpers have sold Boston Red Socks tickets this year at a profit.
Definitely makes you wonder about life and the universe.
---
It's not over yet, America! In 2014, we sweep the Tea Party OUT of the House and re-take it. For 'Merikuh! For Freedom!
#18DarkECOJak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:11:26 PM
chaos_sage0265 posted...
DarkECOJak posted...

How is it hypocritical? Please explain. There's nothing wrong about reselling a luxury item at a higher price. It is not immoral. It is not evil.

Because you're doing something kind for one person, then turning around and purposely making things more difficult for another just to benefit yourself. Yes, that is immoral. That's basically immorality in a nutshell. It doesn't matter if it's a luxury item, it's still something you're doing with the sole intent of taking advantage of others. Whether they have the means to purchase it or not, the only people who are going to buy from you are those who have no other options of obtaining one.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#19crowkillersPosted 11/18/2012 11:11:36 PM
Anything that scalpers "scalp" is definitely a risk on their part... I've seen(and posted here at Gamefaqs) many Ebay auctions where the sellers went in the hole $20 or $30..
---
www.crowkillers.com
#20Baha05Posted 11/18/2012 11:12:13 PM
emagdnE posted...
uh huh

.....so they try their hand at scalping in order to make some cash to make THEIR ends meet, to buy Christmas presents for THEIR kids

ever stop to think about that?

Which is really kinda greedy in a way as they are already spending around $300-350 on what is basically a gamble at best so that they can screw over desperate people.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail