I don't get how scalpers can do it during such a tough time of year...

#31soulllPosted 11/18/2012 11:24:49 PM
DarkECOJak posted...
I mean morally, how can these people not look into a mirror and be disgusted at themselves? The economy (in the US) is still in a sorry state and people are struggling just to make ends meet, let alone be able to get Christmas presents for their kids. The fact that scalpers are willing to take advantage of others by charging double or sometimes more for consoles just to make a profit for themselves is sickening. Yeah, money is important and necessary to survive, but if these people really needed the extra cash they wouldn't have the money to purchase a Wii U in the first place, let alone sit around waiting for an eBay auction to end.

I work in electronics for a retail store and managed to get a deluxe set reserved when they came in, a lucky break since I could only get the standard one reserved at Gamestop. With the intention of taking my reserve off at Gamestop, I first ended up meeting a couple at my job who desperately wanted the basic standard edition to give their daughter as a Christmas gift. Although I knew I could make quite a bit selling the extra Wii U, I took it upon myself to offer it to them just so their daughter could wake up on Christmas with something to look forward to. The look of shock on their faces was priceless, but worth way more thank a few extra hundred bucks in my pocket.

I fully admit that it's rare for me to do many selfless acts. I look out for myself as much as the next guy. But the feeling I got seeing how happy that couple was made me realize just how sick this scalping this really is. I saw the desperation firsthand and thought about how I'd feel in the same situation. The same feeling I got trying to find the original Wii all those years ago.

Scalpers, you're going to do this regardless of what some guy on the internet thinks. But I hope the next time someone does a random act of kindness for you, you question whether or not you're deserving of it.

Why do you look down upon hustlers?? Where I'm from this is respected. Do what you gotta do to make your money. Its not like this is illegal. I'm in college with my own apartment and I'm still helping my mom pay her bills. If I Get a chance to make money I'm gonna take it. That's what you do when you grew up poor.
---
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md6mpn8g7Z1qa5rnho1_400.gif
#32GLDanzegoPosted 11/18/2012 11:26:27 PM
If you choose to pay inflated prices for something, then you're not getting screwed. People CAN always wait to buy things if they don't want to spend more than they have to. The folks buying these things are ultimately the ones making that choice, ya know. After all, we ARE talking about luxury items here, not necessities.
#33overkillwfo1978Posted 11/18/2012 11:27:28 PM
crowkillers posted...
zepfya posted...
It was easy to preorder multi systems the first couple days, whos fault is it?

This..

Why was target letting people preorder 3 freaking systems online in the first place..?

Easy copout. People would just take friends and family to the store and order them that way or preorder online at multiple stores. There's a million ways to get around the rules. That's not going to stop anyone. It all comes down to personal choice in the end... so who's fault is it? The person deciding to scalp systems, of course.
---
"Then we figured out that we could just park them in front of the tv, that's how I was raised, and I turned out tv"
#34Baha05Posted 11/18/2012 11:28:16 PM
GLDanzego posted...
If you choose to pay inflated prices for something, then you're not getting screwed. People CAN always wait to buy things if they don't want to spend more than they have to. The folks buying these things are ultimately the ones making that choice, ya know. After all, we ARE talking about luxury items here, not necessities.

Except that's not entirely true as you are buying an item at an inflated price due to the fact that the systems have been bought up. I mean you could have actively hunted these things in the morning and found none because one guy bought like 5 of them.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#35overkillwfo1978Posted 11/18/2012 11:29:39 PM
GLDanzego posted...

You can look at a system as a luxury item if you wish. Some people look at it as what will make their kid happy X-mas morning. It doesn't have the same effect the middle of March.
---
"Then we figured out that we could just park them in front of the tv, that's how I was raised, and I turned out tv"
#36crowkillersPosted 11/18/2012 11:29:42 PM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
crowkillers posted...
zepfya posted...
It was easy to preorder multi systems the first couple days, whos fault is it?

This..

Why was target letting people preorder 3 freaking systems online in the first place..?

Easy copout. People would just take friends and family to the store and order them that way or preorder online at multiple stores. There's a million ways to get around the rules. That's not going to stop anyone. It all comes down to personal choice in the end... so who's fault is it? The person deciding to scalp systems, of course.

Yeah, I know, but normally when something in limited quantities comes out, most places only let you have one per household(or per person)
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
www.crowkillers.com
#37axe4hirePosted 11/18/2012 11:29:51 PM
Maybe those less fortunate would be a little more fortunate had they walked into a retailer a few months ago and put a few dollars down for a pre-order.

I placed a pre-order at gamestop back in october. I walked in, told them what I wanted, they gave me a receipt. You might be surprised to learn that I did not punch a baby in the face before, during, or after the process.

Last night, at 11:59 I decided to walk in my local Wal-Mart to see if they had any. They had two left and the store was mostly empty. No lines. This may shock you but I didn't have to drown any kittens in a burlap sack. I walked up to the electronics lady and asked "You have any Wii Us" and she gave me one.

I'm pretty conservative so I really don't expect you to understand.

Although not a great comparison but a story about a grasshopper and some ants come to mind.
---
http://kotaku.com/5558637/newsflash-study-reveals-pro-gamers-are-out-of-shape - MLG is not a sport
Gamer Tag - Right Wing Red | PSN - Right_Wing_Red
#38DarkECOJak(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 11:30:27 PM
soulll posted...
DarkECOJak posted...
I mean morally, how can these people not look into a mirror and be disgusted at themselves? The economy (in the US) is still in a sorry state and people are struggling just to make ends meet, let alone be able to get Christmas presents for their kids. The fact that scalpers are willing to take advantage of others by charging double or sometimes more for consoles just to make a profit for themselves is sickening. Yeah, money is important and necessary to survive, but if these people really needed the extra cash they wouldn't have the money to purchase a Wii U in the first place, let alone sit around waiting for an eBay auction to end.

I work in electronics for a retail store and managed to get a deluxe set reserved when they came in, a lucky break since I could only get the standard one reserved at Gamestop. With the intention of taking my reserve off at Gamestop, I first ended up meeting a couple at my job who desperately wanted the basic standard edition to give their daughter as a Christmas gift. Although I knew I could make quite a bit selling the extra Wii U, I took it upon myself to offer it to them just so their daughter could wake up on Christmas with something to look forward to. The look of shock on their faces was priceless, but worth way more thank a few extra hundred bucks in my pocket.

I fully admit that it's rare for me to do many selfless acts. I look out for myself as much as the next guy. But the feeling I got seeing how happy that couple was made me realize just how sick this scalping this really is. I saw the desperation firsthand and thought about how I'd feel in the same situation. The same feeling I got trying to find the original Wii all those years ago.

Scalpers, you're going to do this regardless of what some guy on the internet thinks. But I hope the next time someone does a random act of kindness for you, you question whether or not you're deserving of it.

Why do you look down upon hustlers?? Where I'm from this is respected. Do what you gotta do to make your money. Its not like this is illegal. I'm in college with my own apartment and I'm still helping my mom pay her bills. If I Get a chance to make money I'm gonna take it. That's what you do when you grew up poor.

I can understand your situation, but just because it's respected where you live doesn't make it okay. The amount of ways to legitimately make a buck is staggering, so once again, resorting to taking advantage of people is never acceptable. End of story.
---
Love Mystery Science Theater? Check out ROFL@TheMovies! http://www.youtube.com/user/ROFLatTheMovies?feature=mhee
#39lunchablesrockPosted 11/18/2012 11:30:49 PM
Scalpers aren't bad... Like if the person can afford the extra money then they're not suffering. If you want the console that bad, get your ass up and go get it.
---
GT/PSN:AmazingBrian
Phenom II x2 560 | 4gb G.skill Ripjaws | 1TB SpinPoint f3 | Sapphire 5770 | 550w Cooler Master PSU | MSI 870-G45 |
#40Baha05Posted 11/18/2012 11:32:44 PM
lunchablesrock posted...
Scalpers aren't bad... Like if the person can afford the extra money then they're not suffering. If you want the console that bad, get your ass up and go get it.

But again outside preorders it's really hard to get out there and look for a console in stores when scalpers bought a lot of them along side others. Hopefully the stock will be replenished fast to stop the flow of scalpers
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail