Games confirmed for 1080p native?

#1HEDGESMFGPosted 11/19/2012 12:10:40 PM
Any?

Firstly, the eshop lists the resolutions that each game is capable of displaying. Every game I've looked at so far (Creed III, Mario, Sonic racing, ect. ect.) claims to support 1080p resolution. Some PS3 game cases will outright say the games are only i 720p, though I suppose the difference is between whether the game is natively rendered in 1080p or just upscaled to it, and as far as I know, a small minority of games are native, like maybe 5 disc releases or less.

The Wii U has the potential to change that, with certain reps telling me that games like Batman and AC3 ran in 1080p natively. Batman was very explicitly advertised as doing so at the Wii U events and several people reported on this. ZombiU was said to be 1080p. Black OPS was said to be 1080p for a time, but they later changed the stance on this. Other games had clear 1080p reports.

Now release day has come, and I really want to see how much of this ended up being true or not true. I will personally return my copy of AC3 if what I was told isn't true. I can live with a few graphical glitches, but getting true 1080p games on our Full HD TVs is a noble goal which the next generation MUST strive for. This upscaled crap is stupid.

Having said that, my personal observation remains unsure. Honestly? Mario U looks sharp. Really sharp. To the point where I truly question reports saying it's only 720p. Perhaps the question is irrelevant when I literally cannot see envision a mario game looking better in HD with the series current artstyle. Nintendo has reached a plateau of near technical perfection visually for 2D mario that will not be easily surpassed. I'm truly impressed (Not that it's a hard boundary to reach, technically speaking)

Do we have any actual evidence one way or another at this point, beyond trolling or blatant fanboy hearsay? Techies figured out and gave concrete proof the 360 and PS3 weren't rendering 1080p despite what the box told us, when will we do the same for the Wii U?
#2IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/19/2012 12:11:25 PM
Very few games run in 1080p, the console is going to be running most games in 720p natively as it's simply not strong enough.
#3eddystolemynamePosted 11/19/2012 12:20:39 PM
^Do you not get tired of trolling? Feel free to take a few hours off, this board isn't going anywhere.
#4Enigma149Posted 11/19/2012 12:21:36 PM
eddystolemyname posted...
^Do you not get tired of trolling? Feel free to take a few hours off, this board isn't going anywhere.

He has nothing else to do.

That's why there's so many trolls here today - all the non-trolls are playing the Wii U, only taking the occasional break to troll the trolling trolls.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#5ChargrilledPosted 11/19/2012 12:26:04 PM
As far as im aware none of the retail games are 1080p native. Certainly not zombiu, or the ports of multiplatform titles.

Ive seen 1080p streams of most games now, and they dont look anywhere near as sharp as the same games on my 1080p pc.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#6Snake_BeaterPosted 11/19/2012 12:27:24 PM
Holy ****, is this the 1990s? Why do people on GameFAQs still use the word "troll?" Most of the Internet has moved on - you guys should too.

The word has historically only been used by people who either can't tell someone is joking, are overly defensive, or stupid.

That said, I believe Skylanders and MH3 for the U have been confirmed as running native at 1080p. But that's silly. For the most part, the difference between 720p and 1080p is negligible unless you're on a TV over 40". Also, it takes a lot more power.

Battlefield 3, for instance, runs at 704p on the Xbox 360. This is because there's simply too much going on at one time, and so the game has to be upscaled to 720p when you play it. Call of Duty typically runs at ~600p and is upscaled: that's how it can keep 60 frames per second.

Basically what I'm saying is that, typically, if we see a 1080p Wii U game, it either won't have big environments or might suffer from frame rate issues.
#7HEDGESMFG(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 1:02:09 PM
But that's not what we were initially promised in many cases.Granted, promises have been all over the map, but that's why I want inquiries on the truth.

I have heard that Halo 4 and Black OPS II at least reached 720p native on the 360, though. Which is better than previous Halo and COD games' sub upscales.

Admittedly, all the talk of being unable to tell the difference is partially true. I recently upgraded from a 720p to 1080p 32" TV. While the former was LCD and the latter is LED, I can see a clear difference in detail between Blu rays I watched in one TV vs the other. The extra detail IS visible. However, It remains harder to tell with video games. I DO seem to notice extra clarity that did not seem to be there on some games when I was outputting at 720p native, but I'm not sure if that's really effective upscaling, better LED tech, or a legitimate higher resolution. As I said, Mario U looks really, really good. Almost too good for 720p, but I have little reason beyond intuition to believe it is not. This whole native rendering vs upscale business may ultimately be irrelevant in the end, but there is a difference, and I would like to know as much as possible about what the true difference is.

For the record, I play many games natively 1080p on my PC. Including Skyrim, the other Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, Mass Effect trilogy, and even emulated Wii games (which look very good in HD res, despite the aging tech, Xenoblade, Sonic Colors, and Mario Galaxy 1/2 in particular)

There's just so much deception and ambiguity on this issue that I'd like to see some real clarity. It also would give us a much truer idea of the Wii U's power capabilities.
#8HEDGESMFG(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 1:03:07 PM
Oh, and I should say that both my old and new TV were the same size. Both 32"