You can download the system update in the background

#1eddystolemynamePosted 11/19/2012 11:39:08 AM
Well at least some people say you can

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=190946

I don't know that you guys and gals want to try this. With bricking stories going around, I'd hate to have you follow this info and get a bricked system. With that said, apparently you can have the Wii U day-one update downloaded in the background while you enjoy other Wii U content. Simply by pressing cancel at first mention of the update, the system will then download and install the update in the background.

Can someone confirm?
#2Lord_Diablo13Posted 11/19/2012 11:41:01 AM
Interesting. I may try this out when my Wii U comes in.
---
As a PC gamer, I am more of a self-proclaimed Agent of Chaos, looking to destroy gaming all for the lulz.
#3KebiinuPosted 11/19/2012 11:41:34 AM
I'll test it out when I get mine.
---
3DS FC: 4167 - 4502 - 6171
PSN: Kebiinu
#4eddystolemyname(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 9:31:00 PM
bump, anyone tried this?
#5breastman0Posted 11/19/2012 9:41:20 PM
Like the first post says, this is just asking for a bricked system. You'd have to be an idiot to try this.

Purposely turning the power off during the update won't happen unless you're stupid, and power outages are just unlucky.

But several people have reported their games freezing, requiring a hard reset/unplugging to restart the system.

And as we know, turning the system off during the system update bricks the system.

Not a very good solution.
#6eddystolemyname(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 9:51:53 PM
This doesn't say to turn off the system though, only to press cancel
#7BuretsuPosted 11/19/2012 9:53:02 PM
eddystolemyname posted...
This doesn't say to turn off the system though, only to press cancel

And all it takes is to forget that you're doing this in the background and turn off the system.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#8LimPaulusPosted 11/20/2012 3:28:48 AM
Please Confirm this.
#9shootsmackPosted 11/20/2012 3:33:14 AM
Too bad the OS is too slow to do anything else while you wait.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#10Helmsly2008Posted 11/20/2012 6:32:30 AM
breastman0 posted...
Like the first post says, this is just asking for a bricked system. You'd have to be an idiot to try this.

Purposely turning the power off during the update won't happen unless you're stupid, and power outages are just unlucky.

But several people have reported their games freezing, requiring a hard reset/unplugging to restart the system.

And as we know, turning the system off during the system update bricks the system.

Not a very good solution.

yeah this. During the Giantbomb live stream they had two lock ups and I've seen quite a few other people mention their system locking up too, so as you said, playing a game or doing something else with the console while this large download takes place is just asking for trouble.