External HD that just works

#11dominatinggamerPosted 11/19/2012 3:48:48 PM
Zabazaba11 posted...
I recently bought a Seagate Backup Plus external HD 500gb so I could transfer files between my PC more effectively. Anyways I kept hearing all this fuss over Y-cables and such, and that most external HDs need another power source.

I just plugged this bad boy in and bam extra 500gb of extra storage no Y-cable needed.

Just an FYI for those looking to buy extra storage without the hassle of finding the correct cables.

Is it the one from Target? I picked up a 750GB and a 500GB for $40 a piece.
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
#12Zabazaba11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:52:44 PM
lp913 posted...
Oh yeah TC, is the Seagate drive a USB. 2.0 or 3.0?

It is a 3.0 but seems to work fine, just downloaded Trine 2 and it worked great.
---
Gamertag: Xeno1101
PSN: Xeno1101
#13Zabazaba11(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 3:53:48 PM
dominatinggamer posted...
Zabazaba11 posted...
I recently bought a Seagate Backup Plus external HD 500gb so I could transfer files between my PC more effectively. Anyways I kept hearing all this fuss over Y-cables and such, and that most external HDs need another power source.

I just plugged this bad boy in and bam extra 500gb of extra storage no Y-cable needed.

Just an FYI for those looking to buy extra storage without the hassle of finding the correct cables.

I picked mine up from Best Buy for about $70
---
Gamertag: Xeno1101
PSN: Xeno1101
#14mhunterchumpPosted 11/19/2012 4:00:23 PM
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
Yeah my single USB powered Toshiba worked also without the y cable needed.

Which Toshiba? I only ask because mine doesn't seem to work.

750GB TOSHIBA CANVIO

Yeah, I read someone's thread saying their Toshiba didn't work and I hadn't tried mine yet, which worried me, but I connected it and it worked.

By any chance, did it come with a free 8 GB flash drive? Because that's most likely the same exact one as mine, which I can't figure out for the life of me how to connect it.

Yes it did come with a free 8 GB flash drive. It's weird, I wish I could give you advice but I really just plugged it in and it worked.

I hooked it to the Wii U straight out of the box, did you have it hooked to a PC before? Maybe that have an effect? Not sure.
---
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#15kaliobePosted 11/19/2012 4:08:05 PM(edited)
Zabazaba11 posted...

I picked up the Seagate 750 GB USB 3.0 drive that is on sale at Target and it works great. Got it for 40 bucks and no Y cable needed. Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/p/seagate-expansion-750gb-portable-hard-drive-black-stbx750100/-/A-14299273
---
Gamertag/PSN: kaliobe8311
Just Purchased Games: - Madden NFL 11 -
#16dominatinggamerPosted 11/19/2012 9:11:49 PM
kaliobe posted...
Zabazaba11 posted...

I picked up the Seagate 750 GB USB 3.0 drive that is on sale at Target and it works great. Got it for 40 bucks and no Y cable needed. Here's a link:

http://www.target.com/p/seagate-expansion-750gb-portable-hard-drive-black-stbx750100/-/A-14299273

Awesome to hear. I wanted to know if it worked okay before I opened it and this confirms it :)
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
#17mhunterchumpPosted 11/22/2012 7:59:48 AM(edited)
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
MirageMew2 posted...
mhunterchump posted...
Yeah my single USB powered Toshiba worked also without the y cable needed.

Which Toshiba? I only ask because mine doesn't seem to work.

750GB TOSHIBA CANVIO

Yeah, I read someone's thread saying their Toshiba didn't work and I hadn't tried mine yet, which worried me, but I connected it and it worked.

By any chance, did it come with a free 8 GB flash drive? Because that's most likely the same exact one as mine, which I can't figure out for the life of me how to connect it.

Make sure you turn off the wii u, then hook up the external hard drive, then power wii u up.

It will then ask you if you want to format, then your toshiba will work.

EDIT:

Here's a video showing a toshiba hdd hook up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOBL6_tvhns&feature=youtube_gdata_player

---
PSN/Xbox:mhunterchump
twitter.com/MhunterCHUMP youtube.com/mhunterchump
#18lp913Posted 11/23/2012 10:51:44 AM
REALLY leaning towards purchasing that Toshiba drive right now, after watching that very informative YouTube video of it. Looks like its just the type of external HDD setup I need!
---
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#19SETUP DISKPosted 11/23/2012 1:22:20 PM
I got a 1.5 terabyte Seagate drive today and ti works great...... PLUS IT the color and shine MATCHES THE Wii U.

I would have gotten 2 TB but all they had was 3.0 USB for that. Well there was one that said it could expand from 2 to 3 that was 2 TB but I didn't want to take a change on it in case it didn't work.
---
PSN SETUP_DISK WII U SetupDisk
3DS FC 4682-8465-2907
#20lp913Posted 11/23/2012 7:22:58 PM(edited)
Newegg.com has a Black Friday special on a 1TB version of that very same Toshiba Canvio basics drive for $69.99 USD, which pushed me over to purchase it - hopefully that's all I need for the rest of this gen! Those still looking for a external Wii U drive, get it while its still on sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149223
---
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]