Will ALL systems brick if you shut them off during the update process?

#21RyoOhki777Posted 11/19/2012 4:51:15 PM
Apparently some people think this is such an unlikely occurrence that I must be lying, but I had a 10 second power outage about 10 minutes after I started the update process. It was still just downloading and it bricked. Not saying it will definitely, always happen... but it happened to me.
#22methinksoPosted 11/19/2012 4:57:07 PM
Yeah, my system lost power during the DOWNLOADING phase (the progress bar was only about 10% through) and now my WiiU will no longer turn on. So apparently it's installing at the same time as it is downloading which seems like a horrible, horrible idea for such a large update.
#23mhayes86Posted 11/19/2012 5:14:34 PM
Bad move. It would have been better to just turn off your Internet so it loses a connection, then turn it off. Also, FYI the Wii U is defaulted to turn off after an hour of inactivity, so you should have just left it alone. I'm sure a message popped up at some point prior to downloading the update.
#241shadetail1Posted 11/19/2012 6:52:25 PM
Solis posted...
1shadetail1 posted...
This is what happens to *any* computer when a major OS update gets suddenly stopped half-way through.

What? That's not true at all: even if you turn off a computer when installing the OS, you can turn it back on and start the installation again. And for things like service pack updates, it would be very unlikely for it to corrupt the OS to the point where you couldn't load back into it (although it may or may not be able to continue the update). That's a very big difference from having a system BRICKED.

Uh, wrong. If you messed it up badly enough that you need to reinstall the whole OS, then it is exactly the same thing. The only difference between doing that on a PC and doing that on a console is that you can fix the PC yourself.

Again: If you screw up a *MAJOR* (note that word: "major") update or install, then you are left with a messed up half-rewritten OS that doesn't work.

Now, in TC's case that's moot, since he pulled the power during the download rather than the install. No problems there.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#25Sylar100Posted 11/19/2012 6:53:42 PM
methinkso posted...
Yeah, my system lost power during the DOWNLOADING phase (the progress bar was only about 10% through) and now my WiiU will no longer turn on. So apparently it's installing at the same time as it is downloading which seems like a horrible, horrible idea for such a large update.

Holy hell Nintendo is so confused
#26Skul_Posted 11/19/2012 6:55:16 PM
It was still in the "DOWNLOADING" phase.

You should be fine.
---
"Screen Size = Resolution."- jairusmonillas
If you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and are 100% proud of it, put this as your sig
#27lionheart5656Posted 11/19/2012 6:56:15 PM
Bf109_Ace_1941 posted...
Nate_Dihldorff posted...

Then dont worry. It only happens if you turn it off during installation.

So then why is everyone making a big deal out of it? Installation is a LOT quicker than downloading.

Because that's not how you first explained it.
---
Men must be taught as if you taught them not, And things unknown proposed as things forgot.
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#28BufkusPosted 11/19/2012 6:58:35 PM
Why didn't you just leave it on? Do you care about saving power that much that you won't leave a video game console on for days? I keep my desktop computer at home on 24/7 cause I don't care and I can afford the electricity bill.
#29SolisPosted 11/19/2012 7:04:59 PM
1shadetail1 posted...
Uh, wrong. If you messed it up badly enough that you need to reinstall the whole OS, then it is exactly the same thing. The only difference between doing that on a PC and doing that on a console is that you can fix the PC yourself.

Then that's a completely different situation, because a brick means that you cannot use or access the device in any way, shape, or form. The PC is not bricked at all from OS updates.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#30DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/19/2012 7:10:37 PM
Nate_Dihldorff posted...

Should be fine.
Next time, leave it be and finish it when you get home. It's drawing less power than a lightbulb. Srsly.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato