Lost all my Virutal Console/WiiWare Purchases

#201exchrystalswordPosted 11/20/2012 6:48:33 AM
Limbic posted...
I also want to add this:

Instead of a Wii U, I'm getting a new PC this year. Every single game I care about I can re-download to a new system, no questions asked, whether through Steam, Blizzard, etc. In fact, I would consider this industry standard.

Please, Nintendo, let me love you again.

If you can please try and get your PC in time for the steam xmas sales (the week before xmas) so you can get like 30 games for 60 bucks. Seriously steam sales can get you all the games you can play all year if you are patient with your spending. They put black friday, all console sales, and other digital sales to shame (except amazon is getting better).

@TC I am sorry to hear your story man. Like other posters have said keep talking to other people and speak to a supervisor. I've worked in those tech centers and the last thing they need is an angry customer turning the upper managements attention on them.

It's a tough lesson to learn but all consoles digital content is poorly handled and still working on a backwards system. I wouldn't recommend buying digitally until they get their heads out their behinds.

Oh and as always just ignore the trolls telling you conjecture. They just want your attention.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3868-7402-0278
#202AlluvionPosted 11/20/2012 6:49:18 AM
Sorry for your loss, TC. I hope you can get everything worked out. The thread seems to be split in half; so many people saying you should have known, done your research, read disclaimers, and so on. I don't understand this approach; it seems a very illogical response to an indefensible oversight (or shady business model).

Most modern gamers are well aware of modern technologies. Many have a Wii as well as a PS3/360.. These are all consoles from the same generation. Any casual gamer (again, mindful of PSN or XBL) can easily assume the WiiShop will allow their purchases to be re-downloaded to another Wii or Wii-U, provided there are no discrepancies.

I bought a Wii about a year ago, basically just to play Other M and several VC games legitimately. I was never aware of their archaic means of digital downloading. Like 99% of consumers I don't pore over TOS agreements and instruction manuals.

Now, I was not planning to buy a Wii U, nor have I had any issues where knowing this would save me grief, but I am just disgusted that this is even a thing, and Nintendo is unwilling to meet their customers halfway in light of their failure to provide something so standard we have in today's entertainment market.
#203AkaimizuPosted 11/20/2012 6:56:41 AM(edited)
Nintendo actually gave fair warning about transferring purchases and that you need your Wii to do so. Anytime, for any company, you have software you want to keep, going to the next system, you need to follow the company on that issue, or do the market research.

Without doing that, you may face disappointments for any of the 3 major game manufacturers out today. Each and every one of them had some stipulations or things you need to make sure of in order to know what games and how to play them on the new machine.

This will probably a lesson, going forward. But I can understand your plight if you never did this with Microsoft or Sony, portable or full console. Heck, with the Vita, there are some issues with getting access to your old PSN software for which Sony completely gave the wrong information on, so market research wouldn't even have helped you there unless you waited a few months after release.

Still, it might be possible that Nintendo could still help you there, especially if there's a chance you can still obtain the serial number of your Wii console. However, if you sold it with all those purchases still attached to it, then whoever might have the console now would have access to those games and may legally own that console and everything now. That ends up being a partial moral dilemma for Nintendo, you know.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#204R_O_B_SentryPosted 11/20/2012 6:54:08 AM
Yeah it's also really funny how any game downloaded is stuck onto the wii you download it onto. It can only be transferred to Wii U and if any of your systems break, physically or just do not pick up any power anymore you are doomed.

Nintendo is too protective with their downloadable games- they just will not let you have them on more than one system.

They could use passwords and accounts, but no, this is the only biggest thing I hate about them.
---
Hi ! I'm Omochao. @_@ ) I'm here to help you.
Ah... My, my... <3 I foresaw your arrival, Mario. -- Merluvlee, Paper Mario
#205Phantom Renegade 6X6Posted 11/20/2012 6:56:25 AM
My Wii barely works, I would have traded it in for $20 store credit or whatever if I didn't need it to transfer downloaded titles. I've known about that for at least a month now, so there's no reason for people to be crying "OGM THEY PULLED THIS CRAP OUTTA NOWHERE", because that's a lie.

The internet is everywhere - look stuff up before you buy/sell an expensive electronic device used by millions of people worldwide.
---
Chozz~ of course you get distracted, there are boobs in your house that don't belong to your mother
The_Cloudy_One~ ^_^
#206exchrystalswordPosted 11/20/2012 6:56:26 AM
Akaimizu posted...
Nintendo actually gave fair warning about transferring purchases and that you need your Wii to do so. Anytime, for any company, you have software you want to keep, going to the next system, you need to follow the company on that issue, or do the market research.

Without doing that, you may face disappointments for any of the 3 major game manufacturers out today. Each and every one of them had some stipulations or things you need to make sure of in order to know what games and how to play them on the new machine.

This will probably a lesson, going forward.

Nintendo gave a fair warning how? By making statement about it that 99% of their customers wont ever see because they arn't spending time looking up articles? I'm sorry but the WiiU should state it on the box or at least emailed/mailed this information that would be a fair warning.
---
#207AkaimizuPosted 11/20/2012 6:57:46 AM
exchrystalsword posted...
Akaimizu posted...

Nintendo gave a fair warning how? By making statement about it that 99% of their customers wont ever see because they arn't spending time looking up articles? I'm sorry but the WiiU should state it on the box or at least emailed/mailed this information that would be a fair warning.

Um. You do know this was the same for Microsoft and Sony. Anytime there was a backwards compatibility thing, users HAD to do that or they might miss out.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vem Reld (http://server6.uploadit.org/files/greatisgood-Ninja.jpg)
#208AkaimizuPosted 11/20/2012 7:00:59 AM(edited)
R_O_B_Sentry posted...
Yeah it's also really funny how any game downloaded is stuck onto the wii you download it onto. It can only be transferred to Wii U and if any of your systems break, physically or just do not pick up any power anymore you are doomed.

Nintendo is too protective with their downloadable games- they just will not let you have them on more than one system.

They could use passwords and accounts, but no, this is the only biggest thing I hate about them.

Actually, if your system broke, you aren't doomed. If you send that system in for repair, even if Nintendo has to give you a different console, they will transfer your account access over. The only issue is if you get rid of your system before transfer.

---
#209exchrystalswordPosted 11/20/2012 7:01:45 AM
Akaimizu posted...
Akaimizu posted...

Um. You do know this was the same for Microsoft and Sony. Anytime there was a backwards compatibility thing, users HAD to do that or they might miss out.

Oh my bad a backwards compatibility thing? If you can't even remember what it is why should we care? Your point doesn't address or even counter my point which nintendo didn't make a serious effort to warn customers. Even if Microsoft and Sony do the same thing that doesn't mean its ok and should be allowed.
---
#210AkaimizuPosted 11/20/2012 7:10:09 AM(edited)
Akaimizu posted...
Akaimizu posted...

Oh my bad a backwards compatibility thing? If you can't even remember what it is why should we care? Your point doesn't address or even counter my point which nintendo didn't make a serious effort to warn customers. Even if Microsoft and Sony do the same thing that doesn't mean its ok and should be allowed.

Nintendo put the info on their website, they made videos talking about the transfer process and posted the link on the nintendo-related social websites and Facebook/Twitter.

I guess they could've posted that in email to those on their email list (for which again, would be missed by many who never got on it). But other than that, outside of some total flood of all TV, radio networks and all game-related websites so that nobody could possibly miss it, they actually did a far better job than the other two. Seriously, there is no good answer that would guarrantee that you'd see it if you didn't look for it or ask about it. But even if you didn't look there. Just about every game-related website ever had posted stuff about the issue of Nintendo using console-locked content since they didn't have a true account-based digital service yet. That probably would get you to ask the question. Most Nintendo owners, online, would've given you the answer.

---