YES, GOT HOME THEATER SOUND OUT OF MY WII U!!! (likely TV specific)

#1lp913Posted 11/20/2012 1:16:38 AM
After some trial and error (the optical out just wasn't working for my connection) I guess in my case good news! All I wanted was surround sound out of my Wii U through my 6 year old Sony home theater (Dream) system and all it took was an analog input change from my receiver to Sony SXRD HDTV!!! Here's how it went::

- Wii U still plugged directly into TV via HDMI

- Set Wii U to Surround Sound in its audio options

- Used RCA red and white cables from receiver audio red and white outputs into TV variable (red and white inputs)

- Turned TV Speakers off, switched to external audio input and selected FIXED instead of variable.

- End result, Wii U Surround Sound coming out of all of my speakers (2 front, center, subwoofer and 2 rear) all while maintaining the FULL 1080p HD through its HDMI connection.

So, with Wii U it IS possible to get an HDMI connected Wii U with surround through analog (TV to receiver) but it could be a special case, as it probably varies from TV/Reciever type & set up to another. Now I just have to keep my eyes on a portable external HDD that has enough power for just one USB port and i'm all set!

But if any of you all here have similar connections on your own TV/Home Theater systems and still can't get the sound the come through from you Wii U, make sure you try every audio connection that's on your set up....you just might come across one that works without having to buy any other additional equipment!
---
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#2zalak321Posted 11/20/2012 1:17:53 AM
rad
---
I am now the ruler of this board. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563205-sonic-championship There is no one there for me to rule though...
#3TanoriPosted 11/20/2012 1:21:52 AM
well, my surround is working great, Wii U > HDMI > TV > Optical cable > Home theater.

i get discrete sound from every speaker.
---
psn Lictanori
#4lp913(Topic Creator)Posted 11/20/2012 1:48:42 AM
Tanori posted...
well, my surround is working great, Wii U > HDMI > TV > Optical cable > Home theater.

i get discrete sound from every speaker.

Awesome! Damn good to know about these work around options. Saves a lot of time (and money)
---
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#5AL KATRAZZPosted 11/20/2012 3:11:07 AM
are you using dolby pro logic ii? I found that mode to work best through my optical cable from my tv to my old Sony surround system.
---
PSN ID: ALKATRAZZ, Gamertag o AL KATRAZZ o
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6214-5890
#6TanoriPosted 11/20/2012 8:17:08 AM
AL KATRAZZ posted...
are you using dolby pro logic ii? I found that mode to work best through my optical cable from my tv to my old Sony surround system.

I cant tell, my receiver is kinda weird, it does everything automatically (not sure if this is good or bad), in its display all it says is "Optical 5.1)".
---
psn Lictanori
#7Citan22Posted 11/20/2012 8:54:48 AM
this is crazy.. hope it works for me.

in preparation for the Wii U, i specifically changed my Bravia's audio out from composite red/white TO optical digital out to my receiver.

then, after setting Wii U's internal sound to surround, i noticed the 'test sound' was only playing 3 tones (leaving out the rear speakers). and when playing Black Ops II, there would be no voice in cutscenes.

the only way to remedy that was to change Wii U's audio setting to stereo.

the thing is, and i've checked this numerous times, my Bravia (KDL-40EX500) supposedly supports 5.1 pass-thru from HDMI input via the Toslink (optical) out. most tv's do not allow this. obviously, that is bull because it's simply not working.
#8AL KATRAZZPosted 11/20/2012 8:56:43 AM
Mine does surround pretty good with dolby pro logic too.
Do you hear all 5 tones when you do the sound test on the wii pad?
---
PSN ID: ALKATRAZZ, Gamertag o AL KATRAZZ o
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6214-5890
#9crowkillersPosted 11/20/2012 9:00:29 AM
I have my Wii U plugged directly into my receiver via HDMI and then a HDMI out to the TV... I have all of my components hooked up this way.. And Cerwin Vega all around...;)
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
www.crowkillers.com
#10Citan22Posted 11/20/2012 9:03:58 AM
^ that's great, but my receiver doesn't have hdmi ins/outs.

i still can't believe you can't split wii u's video and audio signals using both hdmi and the original wii cables.. i'm gonna have to try it just to prove it to myself cause it's so incredibly stupid that ps3 and 360 both allow this.