Wii U has horrible, slow CPU

#141IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/20/2012 6:22:25 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
I'm not seeing this success, there are a few games that match the 360 PS3 versions but are missing features, or games that are outright worse. :/

So you're talking ports? Those aren't the best examples, you know.

Then what are you talking about? Lol
#142SkyCrackersPosted 11/20/2012 6:22:31 PM
Where has any credible source stated that the Wii U's CPU is a 3-core, overclocked Hollywood(Wii CPU)? I just remember that one shady, contradictory rumor. I believe that it's horrible and slow, but just copying the Wii's processor three times doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You can still have hardware backwards compatibility without copying the chip exactly.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#143DTY3Posted 11/20/2012 6:25:12 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Regardless of it whether it's slow or not let's stop pretending that people really care about Metro now

---
http://www.youtube.com/user/DTY16
GameFAQS users are far too sensitive.
#144JonbazookabozPosted 11/20/2012 6:25:20 PM
This us the EXACT reason why i bought a wii u. So utter garbage run of the mill clone games like metro dont appear on my console. Bullet dodged here.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#145AK_the_TwilightPosted 11/20/2012 6:29:11 PM
I'm not seeing this success, there are a few games that match the 360 PS3 versions but are missing features, or games that are outright worse. :/

So you're talking ports? Those aren't the best examples, you know.

Then what are you talking about? Lol

Original games built for Wii U.
---
There's no mistaking it.
#146blankempathyPosted 11/20/2012 6:30:33 PM
Yeah, and Warriors Orochi looks noticably worse on the Wii U and displays less enemies at the same time. So...

You really don't understand the concept of a port do you? Why do hd ports of ps2 games run worse on the ps3? Zone of enders 2 runs at a lower framerate then the ps3 version and has effects removed. So why does it run worse?
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#147JKatarnPosted 11/20/2012 6:34:30 PM
Wow...the level of derp on this thread from both sides of the argument is astounding....this thread has has the energy of 30 derp Hiroshimas.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#148aether17Posted 11/20/2012 6:35:46 PM
Tecmo Koei and Tekken's developer both commented on it.

Tekken developer said that the clock was low; therefore it won't be a simple put the code into Wii U and call it a day. (he knows they will need to use the rest of the system in order to correctly optimize the CPU)

Tecmo Koei said that they still need to do research on the CPU as they only have spend little time with it.

Based on these, it would seem like developers are trying to use raw power in order to run their games. They are running into problems since the CPU is reported to be clocked lower, and because they aren't optimizing code correctly for the processor. We all know the Wii U isn't a significant jump in specs, so trying to make their games work how they want won't be as simple as that.
#149aether17Posted 11/20/2012 6:45:30 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
Where has any credible source stated that the Wii U's CPU is a 3-core, overclocked Hollywood(Wii CPU)? I just remember that one shady, contradictory rumor. I believe that it's horrible and slow, but just copying the Wii's processor three times doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You can still have hardware backwards compatibility without copying the chip exactly.

Actually, the rumor states that it's a 3-core Enhanced Broadway processor (Broadway is the CPU of Wii, Hollywood was the GPU). Having a processor like this makes some sense, with the idea of easy backwards compatibility. Believe it or not, a Tri-Core Enhanced Broadway would actually be a better CPU than the 360's Xenon. Whether it's better than the Cell would depend on how many "enhancements" Broadway received.

But I would sort of want to dismiss the CPU being as simple as a "3-Core Enhanced Broadway" considering how IBM stated that Wii U will have an "all new" microprocessor:

IBM...
The all-new, Power-based microprocessor will pack some of IBM's most advanced technology into an energy-saving silicon package that will power Nintendo's brand new entertainment experience for consumers worldwide. IBM's unique embedded DRAM, for example, is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience.

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss
#150Sami1000Posted 11/20/2012 6:49:03 PM
aether17 posted...
Tecmo Koei and Tekken's developer both commented on it.

Tekken developer said that the clock was low; therefore it won't be a simple put the code into Wii U and call it a day. (he knows they will need to use the rest of the system in order to correctly optimize the CPU)

Tecmo Koei said that they still need to do research on the CPU as they only have spend little time with it.

Based on these, it would seem like developers are trying to use raw power in order to run their games. They are running into problems since the CPU is reported to be clocked lower, and because they aren't optimizing code correctly for the processor. We all know the Wii U isn't a significant jump in specs, so trying to make their games work how they want won't be as simple as that.

Both of those devs are releasing games for wii u so of course they don't start to bash it. I'm also pretty sure that devs CAN'T tell any details of wii u's hardware. I don't think that slow ram matters though at least on pc ram speed be it ddr1 or 3 has close to zero affect on games.

I'm definitely waiting before buying wii u. For now i only buy it if it gets few really good games.