Wii U has horrible, slow CPU

#161aether17Posted 11/20/2012 6:43:35 PM
JKatarn posted...
But using upclocked versions of the Broadway core would certainly be a very cost effective/power efficient way to design a new console while ensuring 100% backwards compatibility with the Wii. Of course there's the possibility that they're using a newer POWER architecture while using the Broadway chip as a support processor for the gamepad etc.

It won't be as simple as "up-clocking Broadway". Since IBM stated that the CPU will be an "all new" microprocessor, that must mean that's it's not as simple as "modernize Broadway" and "put three of them in". Though even if it was just a Tri-core Enhanced Broadway, it would still be superior to the CPU in the 360. (then again, the 360 CPU is a joke)
#162aether17Posted 11/20/2012 6:54:48 PM
LurkerLord posted...
Yeah, but I remember reading this: http://www.manbitesnintendog.com/dynasty-warriors-producer-calls-wii-u-cpu-a-challenge/

Maybe they have since sorted it out, I don't know.

Do you think Wii U could handle a game like GTAV or Skyrim? (Bethesda games have usually been very CPU-intensive)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-21-a-chat-about-the-power-of-the-wii-u-with-the-developer-of-a-wii-u-launch-title

"With the Wii U being new hardware, we're still getting used to developing for it, so there are still a lot of things we don't know yet to bring out the most of the processing power. There's a lot that still needs to be explored in that area."

There are a lot of things going for them. Since the CPU in Wii U is reported to be slower, simply using raw power to run their game would be a problem (and they are running into problems, no surprise). They seem to realize that it's not working. Afterwards, they admit that there are still a lot of things they don't know yet about the CPU, which could bring them much better results if optimization is done correctly.

Rockstar seems to have not ignored the possibility of putting GTAV on Wii U. I'd bet they have a dev kit. If Wii U was too weak, they'll likely not even consider it.

Skyrim, well, it can't be any worse than the PS3 version now can it? Cell has proven to be a problem (they don't seem to optimize code correctly for the Cell), but it could be a problem for Wii U if code isn't optimized to compensate for the lower clock.
#163P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 11/20/2012 6:59:26 PM
LurkerLord posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
LurkerLord posted...
Do you think the Wii U could handle a Dead Rising game, or any game with a lot of enemies on-screen?

The Wii U can run Warriors Orochi without being optimized, so yeah.

Yeah, but I remember reading this: http://www.manbitesnintendog.com/dynasty-warriors-producer-calls-wii-u-cpu-a-challenge/

Maybe they have since sorted it out, I don't know.

Do you think Wii U could handle a game like GTAV or Skyrim? (Bethesda games have usually been very CPU-intensive)

Of course it's possible. The question is, would devs optimize it? Or would they try to shove a triangle into a rectangular hole?
---
Currently Playing: Shenmue2, NSMB2
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#164Master XPosted 11/21/2012 2:18:43 AM
I think the true way to tell if it's "lazy devs" is to wait for more Nintendo 1st party games to come out and compare graphics/framerate etc. to them. If Nintendo's is a zillion times better (like to be honest it was much of last gen), then yeah I'll shout lazy devs too. And C'MON ports almost always usually suffer from dodgy issues. It occurred even between 360/PS3.
---
GAMERTAG: Casperstar X"For those of you wondering whether the above made sense, you've just answered your own question. "
#165CrapFactoryPosted 11/21/2012 2:25:44 AM
Irrelevant. Everything is close enough, some things are more powerful, some less. The GPU can take up some of the slack for some tasks (and it's more powerful than the Xbox360 and PS3).

Basically, there's no reason to complain about the power of the console when talking about moving games from the Xbox360 and PS3 to WiiU. It can HANDLE it. Especially if you limit the controller screen to a basic menu and graphics.
#166aether17Posted 11/21/2012 2:35:45 AM
Master X posted...
I think the true way to tell if it's "lazy devs" is to wait for more Nintendo 1st party games to come out and compare graphics/framerate etc. to them. If Nintendo's is a zillion times better (like to be honest it was much of last gen), then yeah I'll shout lazy devs too. And C'MON ports almost always usually suffer from dodgy issues. It occurred even between 360/PS3.

Well no. It's not always "lazy devs".They just had limited everything, which limited the potential of the ports by a large amount. This guy however, took an "early look" at Wii U (early dev kit?) tried to run something quickly and turned out to not work well. It would seem like he was using raw power, which turned out to be a failure. Optimization is key. Considering how Wii U isn't a generational jump, attempting to run a port using raw power will likely fail if the clock speed is lower (and reports say it is). Laziness might have played a factor here, especially since this developer didn't seem to give a damn about wanting to optimize code, nor did they bother waiting for the newer and improved dev kits.
#167AdolRedPosted 11/21/2012 4:29:27 AM
GranzonEx posted...
You seriously think PS360 only has FPS games?

I literally only own Japanese games on the 360, most of em imports. it is the best shmup console of all time
---
Read my comic! http://thejaystack.tumblr.com
<3Metric <3 Portugal. The Man <3Frank Turner<3Radiohead<3Bomb the Music Industry!<3
#168PigfartsPosted 11/21/2012 6:35:47 AM
ColorfulColors posted...
Pigfarts posted...
ColorfulColors posted...
I bet you're one of those Sony Ponies who just searched the Wii U on google to find a negative claim about it and post it here. Now aren't you?

Way to add your counter points man...why don't you give example of people say how great the CPU is and stick it to the TC. No instead you just pretend his quoted comment wasn't real and call him a fanboy, nice.

GEE, I WONDER WHY. MAYBE IT HAS TO DO WITH THIS CRAP IS OLD AND YOU PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES WHO CALL EVERYBODY ON HERE FANBOYS, AND THEN GET ONTO US FOR CALLING OTHER'S FANBOYS.

What do you mean "you people". Anyways I didn't make my own comment I was just commenting on yours. I plan on picking up a Wii U and a vita soon, w/e I find time/
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#169IDruggedShamuPosted 11/21/2012 6:42:52 AM
AdolRed posted...
GranzonEx posted...
You seriously think PS360 only has FPS games?

I literally only own Japanese games on the 360, most of em imports. it is the best shmup console of all time

Me too. I only have an imported NTSC-J 360.... all my games are shmups! Aside from... well..... nope, every single 360 game I own is an imported shmup!
---
PSN: IDruggedShamu
Basically my wife was immature. I'd be at home in the bath and she'd come in and sink my boats.
#170megax11Posted 11/21/2012 6:47:23 AM
OtakuGamera posted...
It's been all but confirmed that it's a multi-core, overclocked Wii CPU. Old news. The real news is that the GPU isn't nearly as bad as it could have been...so we can have awesome visuals as long as there's not too much going on the screen at the same time or the AI isn't too intense.

so it has good GPU, bad ram and bad CPU? wouldnt the ram and CPU just bottleneck the potential of the GPU?

No.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150130
---
The ALL THINGS GAMING fanboy. PSWiiU60DSPVita FTW! 1327 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28