I honestly feel Graphics have hit their peak.

#61josh1billionPosted 11/20/2012 9:16:52 PM
What makes this thread hilarious is that it's posted in the Wii U forum.

It's like saying "I honestly feel graphics hit their peak... six years ago."
#62DieForMotherLandPosted 11/20/2012 9:21:09 PM(edited)
STN79 posted...
With all current systems now using HD and the games looking pretty damn amazing how
could things get any better visually? What else do we need? Ultra hyper Alpha Omega HD?
I really doubt I'm going to care much about whatever comes after this. PS4 and Xbox 720
probably won't be the huge leap people are expecting. It'll just be another HD system with a higher cost.
One of these days a new game system is gonna be over 1000 dollars. Good luck getting mommy and daddy to fork that over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86mslSJHnI

Witcher 2 has the best graphics I've ever seen in a game (in my opinion), and no console games come close to look of this game. I doubt even the next console generation will haves that will look this good (at least, at first).
---
Deu > Colm > Volke > Rivis > Patty > Parn > Rennac > Lara
#63Lord_CohlianiPosted 11/20/2012 9:22:34 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
No. 720p, 30fps, horrid jaggies, blurry textures, and flat, unrealistic lighting do not constitute the peak of graphics. That's what most console games look like right now.

---
SteamID: Old Gregg
#64DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/20/2012 9:22:59 PM
ciraMegaS posted...
Oak_Tea posted...
The N64 to Gamecube saw a bit of a jump, but it certainly wasn't as noticeable.

WHAT!? Starfox Adventures looks miles better than a game like conkers bad fur day, and that was one of the last game released on the N64 when developers were used to its graphical capabilities. No doubt that moving from 2d to 3d is a big jump, so the SNES to N64 was a huge leap, but I believe moving from the N64 to Gamecube was just as noticeable.

Getting back on topic: Topic creator, Iook for videos on "The Witcher 2", "Crysis", "Metro 2033", and "Icenhaner GTAIV". PC graphics have FAR surpassed console graphic for years now, and it's only getting better.

I'd say GameCube -> 360 was just as big a jump, too. Maybe even bigger.

Some people, though, just don't see the detail for some reason.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#65MyDogSkipPosted 11/20/2012 9:29:30 PM
STN79 posted...
With all current systems now using HD and the games looking pretty damn amazing how
could things get any better visually? What else do we need? Ultra hyper Alpha Omega HD?
I really doubt I'm going to care much about whatever comes after this. PS4 and Xbox 720
probably won't be the huge leap people are expecting. It'll just be another HD system with a higher cost.
One of these days a new game system is gonna be over 1000 dollars. Good luck getting mommy and daddy to fork that over.

YouTube - The Witcher 2: Graphics Showcase, Highest Max Settings 1080p

Witcher 2 has the best graphics I've ever seen in a game (in my opinion), and no console games come close to look of this game. I doubt even the next console generation will haves that will look this good (at least, at first).

I hate that youtube videos aren't the best tool for comparison, compression really hurts the quality. No video can compare to seeing a game running perfectly at max settings in person. Screenshots do a pretty good job, but you lose the magic of motion.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#66jgatlabayanPosted 11/20/2012 9:30:00 PM
Graphics in games today is very far from it's peak.

Look up Ray Tracing and understand how even the best PC hardware today is having a hard time processing Ray Traced Graphics in Real Time.

A 4 Tigerton quad-core CPU (16-cores) running at 2.93 GHz only managed to achieve 15-20 fps on a Ray Tracing modified version of Quake Wars, a game released way back in 2005.

Imagine the hardware needed to run real time ray tracing on smoke and explosions.
---
Q6600@3.4 / 295 GTX / AsusP5WDH/8GB Corsair DDR2-800,26" VS LCD,55" 1080p 240hz Samsung LED /PS3/360/Wii/Xbox/PS2/GC/DC/PS1/Saturn/N64
#67MaddSciencePosted 11/20/2012 9:34:18 PM
graphics at it's peak? no way.
---
HDD is like a horse while SSDs are like Cars - CuteBeans
#68colonel_j2020Posted 11/20/2012 9:36:18 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#69DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/20/2012 9:38:45 PM
jgatlabayan posted...
Graphics in games today is very far from it's peak.

Look up Ray Tracing and understand how even the best PC hardware today is having a hard time processing Ray Traced Graphics in Real Time.

A 4 Tigerton quad-core CPU (16-cores) running at 2.93 GHz only managed to achieve 15-20 fps on a Ray Tracing modified version of Quake Wars, a game released way back in 2005.

Imagine the hardware needed to run real time ray tracing on smoke and explosions.

We're actually getting some technology similar to raytracing in DX11 engines like UE4.

Also, take a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5mRRElXy-w

Obviously, this is a pretty limited demo, but still cool! We may see raytracing a generation from now.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#70MetalmallowPosted 11/20/2012 9:50:03 PM
Graphics are at their peak, but for a different reason. They're at their peak because only titles with $20 mil can pull them off. With that kind of budget, there isn't much room for actual innovation. It's too big of a risk. So yeah, we can have better graphics, but at what cost? The same gameplay we've had for the past 10 years?