I honestly feel Graphics have hit their peak.

#71libatakoPosted 11/20/2012 9:51:55 PM
I dunno.......the new mgs demo looked pretty damned good....old snake sneaking in the dark on that rainy terrain was visual awesomeness
---
psn/xbl= libatako
@(> , <)@
#72ElectricMolePosted 11/20/2012 9:52:42 PM
You heard it here folks.

Wii U: The peak of console graphics.
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#73IcecreamdunwichPosted 11/20/2012 9:58:57 PM
Let me know when consoles reach this level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvgETOo5ek&feature=related
#74leopoldsharkPosted 11/20/2012 10:03:14 PM
I feel that some developers are too focused into cramming as many pixels as they can into a scene when they should be working on making good use of those pixels, smoothing loading times and increasing fps to a constant 60 fps. They could probably do away with loading screens entirely, either hiding them or making them entertaining enough that you don't need to feel like you have to wait.

Games that don't run on as powerful systems can still look really nice because they have a good aesthetic. But aesthetic doesn't sell systems. Part of it could be that consumers have high, almost realistic expectations of how a game looks and like to nitpick everything.
#75Devil_wings00Posted 11/20/2012 10:04:15 PM
Metalmallow posted...
Graphics are at their peak, but for a different reason. They're at their peak because only titles with $20 mil can pull them off. With that kind of budget, there isn't much room for actual innovation. It's too big of a risk. So yeah, we can have better graphics, but at what cost? The same gameplay we've had for the past 10 years?

Honestly this is true. That being said the indie developers on PC/xbox live/PSN aren't exactly redeveloping the world. There are many games that take familiar ideas and mix them up to make them seem new and different.

We've reached a point where every cool idea has been tried across the years and now developers are just trying to mix it up. Also I personally don't want them constantly redoing the wheel. Having Genre's is fine it's all about how you do them. Yes all open world games are inherently like GTA but if the execution is done well and it's full of interesting characters and a unique setting you can still get great games that don't do anything shockingly different with gameplay. Red Dead, Mafia 2 and Sleeping Dogs are good examples. Just like I don't expect authors and movie makers to create a new genre or idea it's about how they take already established ideas/genre's and give them there own spin. We are at that point in gaming now. Taking old ideas and giving them a new spin, we aren't going to see completely new genres that are wildly different and completely new just pop up like they did in the 90's.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#76adonfrazPosted 11/20/2012 10:04:43 PM
Graphics aren't at their peak, but it's in a stage of diminishing returns.
---
"I wanted another ad where LeBron says "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there, with a clutch gene!" - Skip Bayless
Xbox GT: Loyal Catalyst
#77DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/20/2012 10:05:46 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Let me know when consoles reach this level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvgETOo5ek&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY52AIIRaiU

Never gonna 'appen, mate.
---
AMD CACHING = NOT YET FINISHED
Hey... just so you know...PC is a brand. ;). ~Lord_Kagato
#78InfamouslyNycePosted 11/20/2012 10:11:26 PM
Its saddening that the majority of gamers during this age rave over graphics and the way a game looks as opposed to how it feels and sounds.

Growing up (Atari 2600 onward), video gaming has made me feel a euphoric, borderline addictive escape from reality. Not looking, but more importantly not feeling real. I always envisioned gaming pioneering interactive software through immersion and escapism and not being bottlenecked by small idiosyncracies.

The way graphics are obsessed over is disheartening. Yea, I know games should be visually appealing, but I remember a point where a small (large) amount of clipping or glitching didn't matter (NES) as long as I had fun with the game I was playing and again, experienced some type of escape from reality.

Don't get me wrong, I have a tv capable of 1080p, a PC with 16g of ram (for audio purposes, not gaming) and I've owned almost every console released. I've banged with the best in quake, halo, unreal, and cod. And I've also had my favorite fantasy outings like Zelda, Metroid, Sonic, Mario, etc... it could go on forever.

TL;DR Gaming controllers<Analog Sticks/Polygons and texture mapping<Network gaming<Touch screens<Multiple displays<Motion controls. Should move onward: Holograms/projections<full VR.
We are stuck between motion controls/holographic displays; hence graphic wars.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Inf4mous
#79Jordon_pPosted 11/20/2012 10:15:58 PM
adonfraz posted...
Graphics aren't at their peak, but it's in a stage of diminishing returns.

It's only going to be diminishing returns until realtime raytracing of complex scenes is possible on common hardware, then there will be a huge jump.
#80NintendologicalPosted 11/20/2012 10:16:03 PM
Go watch the Samaratin DirectX11 demo. The demo runs in real time on an Nvidia Kepler GPU. Nothing currently available, Wii U includes, can or will come close to that demo. PC tech is so far ahead that consoles haven't been left in the dust, they've been left in the past. Aso, have ypuseen any computer animated films? We still haven't even hit the stage where games look as good as Toy Story.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia