HDMI cable or component cables question.

#1metalXgearPosted 11/21/2012 9:39:58 AM
Okay so I have an HD TV, I just got the Wii U, and I have every hook up needed BUT......
My surround sound system doesn't have enough HDMI slots to plug in the Wii U HDMI cable and I want to hear the Wii U coming from all the speakers instead of just plugging the HDMI cable in the TV and only getting the sound from the TV's speakers.

I'm relocating the Wii to a different room which was easily plugged in the surround sound system with my component cables, Right now the HDMI slots are taken up by the TV, the cable box, and the PS3, only three slots grrr.

So my question is....... Is there a difference between the HDMI cable and the component cables in video quality or audio quality for Wii U on an HD TV?

Because if the HDMI cable beats out the component cables then I'll buy an HDMI splitter or something.
---
Wii Console: 0917 6760 4711 4172
Wii nick name: Luis
#2metalXgear(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 10:09:57 AM
bump
---
#3asher1611Posted 11/21/2012 10:12:58 AM
The answer depends on your television, but I would suggest you buy a splitter. It should not affect the quality of your HDMI signal the same way a $2 HDMI cable from Amazon has the same quality as a $60 monster cable from retail.
#4token_swordsmanPosted 11/21/2012 10:17:30 AM
Hdmi - up to 1080p

Component - 480i
---
^ Typed this from my wii u ^
#5NyyarkPosted 11/21/2012 10:20:04 AM
token_swordsman posted...
Hdmi - up to 1080p

Component - 480i

This is wrong. Component on the Wii does 480p. You're thinking composite.

Component can do up to 1080p also if the TV is set up to receive it over component.

Why not try it with Component, then unplug the PS3 and try it with HDMi, and see if there is a difference before buying anything?
#6Rennik RepotsirPosted 11/21/2012 10:21:25 AM
It depends on the output through component. People claim that is only goes up to 1080i but I get 1080p so it makes me think it's a TV issue. I honestly can't tell the difference between the 1080p on my PS3 (HDMI) and 360 (Component).

As for sound, its: HDMI > FO > Stereo (R&W). Sure, you can get PL2 through Stereo but you really don't get the channel specific sounds used for directional sound generation and some cool echo effects found in LPCM and other 6/8 channel decoders.

So it all depends on what your looking for as the end result. For some, analog Stereo with PL2 is good enough as voice is usually center channel focused and SFX and music are surround. I like sound a little more than display as I upgraded my receiver before I bought my 360 and didn't upgrade my CRT until a year after I bought my PS3 (slim release). So I pushed for 5.1 during my PS2 days and then the 7.1 I have now. I don't like God of War 3, but I was about to bust a nut during the flying segments.

Also, if your TV has FO-out and is able to convert the signal from an HDMI source you can try:
WiiU>HDMI>TV>FO>Receiver
---
FREE BUMP!!!
The person above suffers from IAD.</post>
#7JackTheRimmerPosted 11/21/2012 10:26:41 AM
you will get a better picture with component cables with Wii U ,its been confirmed in a review.
#8Ben ReillyPosted 11/21/2012 10:30:11 AM
token_swordsman posted...
Hdmi - up to 1080p

Component - 480i

Not true what so ever

Component Cables can carry signals up to 1080p

Depending on the device.
---
Lebatard: "So what more could Derrick Rose actually have done to make you acknowledge that he had a bad game? Urinate on himself?"
#9Hucast9Posted 11/21/2012 10:42:39 AM
I've heard experts say that they're both equal when it comes to video quality. Component cables are susceptible to interference, which can degrade video quality. I'm not sure what effect any interference would cause to an hdmi cable, but i've heard that "there is either an image or no image at all" when it comes to interference.

Hdmi supports Blu Ray audio codecs such as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio, but no console games currently support that even on PS3. The best that is supported currently is DTS. I'm not sure if the Wii U will support any of those superior audio formats. Also, you need hdmi to upscale 480p dvds to 720p or higher. I would imagine that hdmi is required to upscale Wii games?

Personally, I do notice a very small improvement in HDMI over component on my tv with the same exact settings on both inputs. I switched back and forth looking at the PS3's XMB, and the hdmi looked a bit better.
#10metalXgear(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 10:58:24 AM
I have a 2008 HD Sony TV, I don't know if thats really considered new any more.

But I'm gonna try this HDMI splitter that came with a small box and a little remote, that will share with the Wii U and PS3.

Even if the component cables are just as good, I still rather go with the one that will be better long term.

I'll come back with results.... Thanks guys.
---