Gamespot declares war on the WiiU

#21dark trunksPosted 11/21/2012 8:43:08 PM
Something I have always hated about any game site, and it's one of the biggest reasons I haven't paid attention to them for a couple of years now, is that you often find they have an incredible preview for a game or a console. They're excited, they're enjoying themselves. They say nothing but positive things about the game/console.

Then the review is the complete opposite, and they complete trash the game/console and continue on a negative run of articles about the game.

They're inconsistent. That's why I just couldn't care less what they have to say about anything. All I ever look for are decent videos of gameplay. I'll play the game myself and make up my own mind.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#22Marxus DrakkanPosted 11/21/2012 8:45:15 PM
negative press sells. <-- period

Even if they do have an axe to grind I'm betting the consistent negativity has more to do with just trying to make headlines eye catching.

As an avid gamer my opinion of gamespot has diminished consistently even before the scandals. Its hard to place but their reviews have really not been consistent with my own experiences so I have started to avoid them as a reputable source.
#23Golden MavenPosted 11/21/2012 8:46:14 PM
jungfreud posted...
while I generally like gamespot for reviews, they seem to have launched an all out war on the WiiU.

They're just dishing out opinions. That's what they do. You don't have to agree with them, personally I don't pay attention to so called "professional" reviews.
#24jungfreud(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 8:48:35 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Been reading various reviews and commentary about the WiiU, and while I generally like gamespot for reviews, they seem to have launched an all out war on the WiiU.

Typical nintendo fanboy overreaction thinking everybody has it out for nintendo, despite having no proof, or logical explanation why.

Read the rest of my post.

What I see is them reporting about Nintendos poor launch, and poor launch lineup. You of course call this "war" so I say:

Typical nintendo fanboy overreaction thinking everybody has it out for nintendo, despite having no proof, or logical explanation why.

Your argument would have more weight if the launch lineup you are criticizing didn't have multiple 8.0 plus games from the site that you are trying to defend. The launch lineup is solid.

It's the nitpicking that I am annoyed by. Citing "technical foibles" in a 8+ review just creates the impression that the system is not up to par, while maintaining credibility because the port is obviously just as good if not better than the version you already gave a higher score to. They are among the few sites that have focused on supposed glitches and their dislike for the BAT mechanics as an excuse to drop the score.

It kind of reminds me a lot of various reviews for 3DS games (which is now so clearly dominant in the handheld market that all the reviewer nitpicking last year seems petty and silly) which would penalize the game when the reviewer obviously just didn't like the system. A lot of great titles lost a couple points for daring to be on the 3DS, and it appears WiiU titles are going to suffer the same built in penalty.
#25Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 11/21/2012 9:05:28 PM
Your argument would have more weight if the launch lineup you are criticizing didn't have multiple 8.0 plus games from the site that you are trying to defend. The launch lineup is solid.

Most of those (probably all except for the underwhelming NSMBWU) have been out for a while on 360/PS3/PC. That's why nobody is really impressed with the launch lineup.

It's the nitpicking that I am annoyed by. Citing "technical foibles" in a 8+ review just creates the impression that the system is not up to par, while maintaining credibility because the port is obviously just as good if not better than the version you already gave a higher score to. They are among the few sites that have focused on supposed glitches and their dislike for the BAT mechanics as an excuse to drop the score.

It kind of reminds me a lot of various reviews for 3DS games (which is now so clearly dominant in the handheld market that all the reviewer nitpicking last year seems petty and silly) which would penalize the game when the reviewer obviously just didn't like the system. A lot of great titles lost a couple points for daring to be on the 3DS, and it appears WiiU titles are going to suffer the same built in penalty.

Them disagreeing with your opinion on the games is not "declaring war".
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#26oshawott4everPosted 11/21/2012 9:07:37 PM
You guys are just being paranoid over their own opinionated reviews. Just deal with it, blacklist them, move on, etc.
---
http://i42.tinypic.com/5k1z45.gif
http://i43.tinypic.com/34i5q85.gif
#27ShadowSkill11Posted 11/21/2012 9:13:40 PM
...and yet the TC continues to post on a gamespot owned site called Gamefaqs.
#28ADHDguitarPosted 11/21/2012 9:19:29 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

>Rants about "Nintendo fanboys" thinking everyone has it out for nintendo whilst insulting Nintendo.

Okay.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#29asher1611Posted 11/21/2012 9:21:08 PM
Sky_Rayquaza posted...
Gamespot has been biased against Nintendo for a very long time, so I'm not surprised about this.

Pretty much this. But what can you say, their readership really doesn't care about nintendo at all, so they don't really put as much effort into it as they do MS/Sony/PC.

To an extent, I don't blame them. But I don't give their Nintendo coverage much weight as a result either.
#30cavebear56Posted 11/21/2012 9:25:50 PM
SexPantherPanda posted...
Of course a gaming website doesn't like it so there anti-nintendo this is why fanboys are worse then haters.

No. Not at all. Your comment is mind numbingly ignorant.

Haters are just as bad as fanboys.

Just as bad trying to pass that off any differently is delusional. Seek help for your failure at child like comprehension.

SkyCrackers posted...
It's not a conspiracy, or a war, there are just a few guys on the Gamespot staff who don't like Nintendo. Journalists are entitled to their opinions, too. And at least they're professional about them.

This, minus the professionalism. If they were professional they would have a stance but still somewhat try to be objective and remove bias.

They like professionalism but can also have their opinion...which means that people are entitled to criticize those opinions.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.