Gamespot declares war on the WiiU

#41superbot400Posted 11/21/2012 10:17:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwD2GgWKIrs
As soon as heard about that Kane and Lynch crap...I officially stopped taking review seriously
---
http://spinsulin.freeforums.org/the-fantastic-four-respect-thread-t4436.html, my huge ass respect thread. You won't see it.
#42hyruler461Posted 11/21/2012 10:18:46 PM
We all should remember, Gamespot is a Nintendo hater. Always seems to rate the games lower than any other site. Besides they shouldn't be allowed to review seeing how they gave skyward sword a low score because they "couldn't understand the controls."
#43nonexistingheroPosted 11/21/2012 10:21:07 PM
SkyCrackers posted...
It's not a conspiracy, or a war, there are just a few guys on the Gamespot staff who don't like Nintendo. Journalists are entitled to their opinions, too. And at least they're professional about them.

There is nothing professional about the way they're handling this. Being professional is being objective. They're like those scum journalists who sneak into celebrities private homes to get pictures that make the celebrities look bad.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#44NintendologicalPosted 11/21/2012 10:24:35 PM
If Gamespot declared war, then Dan Hsu issued a nuclear ultimatum. He already wrote an article entitled, "Why the Wii U Might Be Set Up For Failure". Article highlights include;

The hardcore content, so far, is all old stuff gamers have already experienced on other platforms. No one’s waiting an extra week to buy Call of Duty: Black Ops II on the Wii U when all their friends are already playing it on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC — no matter what new features Nintendo’s GamePad tablet controller provides.

But above everything else, I feel this one design choice will ultimately prove to be the Wii U’s undoing in the long run: The buttons on the controllers are in the wrong place. The hardcore players aren’t going to like that

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/16/the-wii-u-is-set-up-for-failure/

Other interesting reactions from the video game journalism community;

Polygon: 6.5 out of 10. “We are cautious and indeed, somewhat pessimistic, about what the future holds for Nintendo's new system. The Wii U is poised to deliver the same thing Nintendo always has, but we're still waiting to see if it can deliver more.”

1UP: “All in all, Wii U won't blow anyone's mind with its hardware capabilities, and it will definitely annoy hardcore A/V fanatics with its lack of output options. The system's horsepower puts it on par with current consoles, which will be true for... a year, probably.”

The Verge: 7.0 “I don't know which future awaits the Wii U. But until it's obvious, I'm not buying one.”

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-20-wii-u-launch-reactions-mixed-software-on-sale
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#45StealthlysPosted 11/21/2012 10:26:22 PM
Gamespot was always crap, then became crappier when gfaqs was bought from cnet, and merged with gs.
#46bobafett56Posted 11/21/2012 10:30:56 PM
After RE6, Gamespot has just declared war on gaming in general.
---
Currently Playing: Halo 4, Black Ops 2
Waiting for: Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, Metal Gear Sold Rising Revengeance Steam: Cloudfett56
#47jungfreud(Topic Creator)Posted 11/21/2012 10:48:54 PM
Nintendological posted...
If Gamespot declared war, then Dan Hsu issued a nuclear ultimatum. He already wrote an article entitled, "Why the Wii U Might Be Set Up For Failure". Article highlights include;

The hardcore content, so far, is all old stuff gamers have already experienced on other platforms. No one’s waiting an extra week to buy Call of Duty: Black Ops II on the Wii U when all their friends are already playing it on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or PC — no matter what new features Nintendo’s GamePad tablet controller provides.

But above everything else, I feel this one design choice will ultimately prove to be the Wii U’s undoing in the long run: The buttons on the controllers are in the wrong place. The hardcore players aren’t going to like that

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/16/the-wii-u-is-set-up-for-failure/

Other interesting reactions from the video game journalism community;

Polygon: 6.5 out of 10. “We are cautious and indeed, somewhat pessimistic, about what the future holds for Nintendo's new system. The Wii U is poised to deliver the same thing Nintendo always has, but we're still waiting to see if it can deliver more.”

1UP: “All in all, Wii U won't blow anyone's mind with its hardware capabilities, and it will definitely annoy hardcore A/V fanatics with its lack of output options. The system's horsepower puts it on par with current consoles, which will be true for... a year, probably.”

The Verge: 7.0 “I don't know which future awaits the Wii U. But until it's obvious, I'm not buying one.”

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-20-wii-u-launch-reactions-mixed-software-on-sale

A fair point, doomsaying in general has become much more eye grabbing than measured analysis in the games industry, in particular. But it is one thing to express some criticism or doubt about the system, it is another to beat up on the thing in every place it is mentioned on your website. Also, some of sites you linked are more like gaming blogs, whereas gamespot is supposed to be a "professional" site that doesn't dish and bloviate about every controversy of the moment.

In any case, I am just making an observation about the tone of the content on their site. I own or have owned every current gen console and I can be realistic about their faults and strengths, but I was surprised at the tone on gamespot concerning the WiiU because I have generally found them to be fairly objective and non-controversial in how they handle new hardware and software.
#48Pawkie07Posted 11/21/2012 10:50:43 PM
jungfreud posted...
Been reading various reviews and commentary about the WiiU, and while I generally like gamespot for reviews, they seem to have launched an all out war on the WiiU.
Witness:

1. They are by far the outlier on their ZombiU review, 4.5 and, suspiciously, it was leaked before the embargo. Since they are often on or near the consensus for most other titles, this seems bizarre.

2. For the various ports (Darksiders 2, Batman, Sonic racing, ME3) they dismiss any and all gamepad funcionality, along with the fact that these games include DLC free, while at the same time penalizing the games for graphical and technical issues that I'm not entirely convinced aren't present in at least one other console version (for example, ME3 ran poorly on my PS3, I haven't noticed it running poorly on my WiiU). The result is lower scores, even though games like Batman are being scored as virtually identical or enhanced versions on other sites.

3. Their front page news regarding the WiiU has seemingly focused on it failings, including a now running front page article titled, provocatively "the shortcomings of the WiiU" which rails against the included features and software of the console with a seeming disregard for any and all innovation or uniqueness displayed. For example, they spend an entire paragraph complaining the the gamepad does not allow remote play more than 30 feet from the console, as if that was a feature that was promised or is standard on any other console at the moment.

Add to that their criticism of the open storage solutions the WiiU allows, which I understand people dislike because of the requirement for additional power outlets but really beats paying 5x the price for a proprietary microsoft hard drive for my xbox when I can buy a generic USB hard drive for much less money, and swap them out as necessary on the WiiU.

In conclusion, the overall tone of their coverage seems excessively negative for a major site, and given their pass on the titanic that was the Vita and the mediocre redesign of the PS3, along with their consistent worship of every flagship AAA title over the years, it seem a bit inconsistent, to say the least, that they are coming out so strong against Nintendo. Let the conspiracy theories begin.

Stop being such a butt hurt nintendo fanboy. I'm very glad to see GameSpot take a stand and share the truth of the quality of the wii u. Unlike many others who are too scared or too busy pocketing money for good reviews.
#49glyde69Posted 11/21/2012 10:53:15 PM
Maybe the GS people(or at least the ones covering the Wii U) are unhappy with the console?

I'm a gamer who plays and enjoys everything and anything console related dating back to Atari. I preordered my Wii U and while I was excited leading up to it, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I spent most of launch day downloading updates and then re-downloading my 62 WiiWare and VC games from my Wii. The transfer went smoothly(lost Lost Winds for whatever reason), but had to go into the store and re-download every one of my games. Very tedious!! A lot of games were only a few quick seconds, but the lag in between was killer. Then deleted all my Wii game saves(kept Little King Story and galaxy 2 though) one by one. Why? Because the storage space doesn't seem to be very large!

By the time I finished that, I was exhausted! I canceled the two games I originally pre ordered(epic Mickey and Zombi u). Loved the first EM, but everything I read in reviews turned me off. I'm not usually someone who lives and dies by reviews(especially the silly number attached to it), but reading the pros and cons from a handful of decent reviewers, the cons were scary enough for me to cancel. Zombi U just doesn't seem to be my thing.

So now im left with AC3 and Mario. Mario I'm sitting on until I finish Rayman Origins. Playing two platformers at the same time throws off my timing. I hated AC1, so I'm not even sure why I bought 3(figured to get a game to compliment Mario). Nintendo Land I'm gonna play around with eventually to see what tricks the game pad has up its sleeve.

I'm stoned and really babbling. My point...... I'm a gamer. Always have been. I own the Wii U. And is it possible the GS people are in the same boat I am instead of some conspiracy?? I mean the last time I was so uninterested in a shiny new system was PS2 and it wasnt the PS2 I didn't care for. It was the fact that Majora's Mask came out the same day and I played the everloving CRAP out of that game while my PS2 was used to watch my only DVD at the time(Gladiator).
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785
#50Cable_mvc2Posted 11/21/2012 10:53:33 PM
They have valid points. I really fail to see the problem here.