Gamespot declares war on the WiiU

#51EternalDividePosted 11/21/2012 10:55:08 PM
Why should we care about what some unethical website says.

This is yet another site that gave Final Fantasy XIII, which in all honest realism is one of the absolute worst games in almost every aspect outside of visuals ever, an 8.5

Nintendo must not have bought up enough advertising space on their site.
#52Cable_mvc2Posted 11/21/2012 10:56:16 PM
Wait the Wii U uses RESISTIVE TOUCH SCREENS? Oh dear god....
#53LunaticcccPosted 11/21/2012 11:03:28 PM
Might as well declare war on reality.
#54Devil_wings00Posted 11/21/2012 11:06:20 PM
jungfreud posted...
Sylar100 posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-shortcomings-of-the-wii-u-hardware-6400507/?tag=Topslot%3bWiiUHardware%3bTheShortcomingsOfTheW

It's a good article, no reason to hate them for the truth

I referred to that article multiple times in my original post, and no, I do not believe it is a "good" article. It is a silly and overly critical article that focuses on so called "failings" which were never promised or even hinted at. A WiFi gamepad that would allow portable play throughout your home? A multitouch screen (this guy wants to replace his IPAD?) USB3.0 was never promised, and is not yet the industry standard (I bought a mid range laptop this year that only has one 3.0 port). The transfer process from your Wii is far less complicated than any number of procedures required to move data from your xbox or PS3.

My favorite line is this " Is it unrealistic to expect Nintendo to do more than simply innovate?" Because this console didn't include every piece of cutting edge tech and over deliver on every feature (at half the price the PS3 launched at, natch) it is apparently some kind of failure?

3.0 is industry standard lol heck it's not only standard it's on it's way out now that thunder bolt is available on PC. I don't think you can buy even the lowest end laptop without a usb 3.0 port and i doubt any motherboard released in the last 2 years doesn't have a usb 3.0 header and ports on the back. Many people haven't upgraded from 2.0 but it IS the standard now. Also even the lowliest knock off brand 99 dollar android tablet is multi-touch.

People have every right to b**** about stuff like no 3.0 ports or no multi-touch because we live in 2012 and these things aren't new and are in fact industry standard. Constantly comparing the Wii U to the features of the xbox 360 and ps3 isn't even fair. Those are 6-7 years old and there is no expectation for tech that old to have these functions. The WiiU is brand new and I'm sorry but Nintendo cheaped out on a lot of things that seriously wouldn't have cost them much to include. They could have hit the same price point with these features but they might have had to cut the profit margins though and that's just unacceptable or, shock and shagrin, maybe sell the console at a loss!!!!!! Something not uncommon for consoles at launch.

I'm not saying it's not going to be a great machine with many fun games but I see no reason to defend the fact that nintendo has opted out features for no determinable reason other then to make as much money short term as possible by cheaping out on hardware. If the 720/ps4 are going to be a decent generational leap to the point where developers have to make a concerted effort to downgrade and add gimmick features to ports they will up and leave nintendo in the dust. Nintendo isn't doing to well right now (billion dollar losses and plummeting stocks the last few years) and they are seriously hindering there long term success right now by making it so easy for the competition to one up them with this underwhelming show.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#55squatch22Posted 11/21/2012 11:09:04 PM
Stefan1277 posted...
Well, they do have it out for nintendo. Look at yourselves. You don't own a Wii U, have no plans to own one, but decide to spend your night trolling this board just to make damn sure people see that you dislike it. That's a very profound hatred for a company. And you guys call nintendo fan childish lol.

So true
---
LineTroll posted: Mario Galaxy is just like a Sonic game.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#56Squished_MarioPosted 11/21/2012 11:13:34 PM
jungfreud posted...
Sylar100 posted...
http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-shortcomings-of-the-wii-u-hardware-6400507/?tag=Topslot%3bWiiUHardware%3bTheShortcomingsOfTheW

It's a good article, no reason to hate them for the truth

I referred to that article multiple times in my original post, and no, I do not believe it is a "good" article. It is a silly and overly critical article that focuses on so called "failings" which were never promised or even hinted at. A WiFi gamepad that would allow portable play throughout your home? A multitouch screen (this guy wants to replace his IPAD?) USB3.0 was never promised, and is not yet the industry standard (I bought a mid range laptop this year that only has one 3.0 port). The transfer process from your Wii is far less complicated than any number of procedures required to move data from your xbox or PS3.

My favorite line is this " Is it unrealistic to expect Nintendo to do more than simply innovate?" Because this console didn't include every piece of cutting edge tech and over deliver on every feature (at half the price the PS3 launched at, natch) it is apparently some kind of failure?

Sorry, but for $300-350, it didn't include even basic crap the other consoles have for $200 or so. Nintendo is seriously being cheap. I find the graphics pleasant, but the console was not planned well. For that price, it is not worth it. You will end up spending more money on extras too. This is coming from someone who is a fan, but not to the point of blindness. Innovation is great and the gamepad has such potential. But the console has barely caught up to any others and lacks what are now fairly basic features. This is probably why Nintendo avoided online play/communities and other features the other consoles had...they just simply seem lost in trying to do it.
---
Part of the Viewmaster_pi's Caln Magna cum laude
PSN: VexSilver
#57pearl arowanaPosted 11/21/2012 11:15:22 PM
wii u is really a sad piece of hardware. the goal is to maximise hardware profit from hardware sales..

nintendo just try do a another wii :(
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or abministrator]
#58Virtue777Posted 11/21/2012 11:17:35 PM
"Gamespot hates Nintendo." This is something that has been repeatedly uttered on these forums for years. I think it's something else entirely, and actually find myself agreeing with Gamespot and their journalists on almost everything.

To get this out of the way, I own every Nintendo system including the Wii U and yes, even the Virtual Boy. I also buy every Zelda, Mario (main series) and Metroid title on release.

Nintendo's biggest market is the casual gaming market. They know this and have thus capitalized on it. This sadly frequently goes against what us hardcore gamers desire. And yes, if you're on a gaming forum, debating and discussing video games and video game hardware, you are a hardcore gamer. Maybe not in time commitment, but definitely in soul.

Now what you see with Gamespot, is that most of their editors represent the hardcore gaming audience. Sure, they have their casual editors that focus on phone games, party games, etc.. But the vast majority of their editors, and especially their more popular editors, are very hardcore gamers who grew up with the NES and had their gaming habits fueled by experiences like Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64 and other huge titles.

The Wii has, for the most part, been a bastion for casual family gaming. We hardcore gamers have been somewhat disregarded by Nintendo, or at least the spotlight has been moved away from us. Thus when we finally get something like a new Zelda or Metroid title, it's pretty damn easy to disappoint us. Hell I was incredibly disappointed with both Skyward Sword and Metroid Other M. Not because they were terrible games, but I expected so much more from what little bones Nintendo tossed us.

The Wii U is experiencing something similar. Here are all of these titles catered to us hardcore gamers, and while they may not be terrible games, they're either disappointing ports of games we have already played, or fail to meet the AAA launch-title expectations a lot of us have (ZombiU, I'm looking at you). The distance between Nintendo and the hardcore gaming audience just makes the reality of the situation all the worse, and thus the experience worse. As a result, we have lower scores that aren't necessarily wrong or harsh, just a reflection of the experience, and that experience is sadly morphed a bit by our expectations.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#599inchesDeepPosted 11/21/2012 11:20:12 PM
Gametrailers.com put out a video saying the Wii Versions are the worst of all ports.

The only game that was better on Wii U was Ninja Gaiden, and only because the developers changed the game from the terrible original release.

Not deep, not deep at all.
#60Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 11/21/2012 11:24:28 PM
Gametrailers.com put out a video saying the Wii Versions are the worst of all ports.

The only game that was better on Wii U was Ninja Gaiden, and only because the developers changed the game from the terrible original release.

Not deep, not deep at all.

So... They told the truth?
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif