Gamespot declares war on the WiiU

#61ElGadoPosted 11/21/2012 11:07:51 PM
Virtue777 posted...
"Gamespot hates Nintendo." This is something that has been repeatedly uttered on these forums for years. I think it's something else entirely, and actually find myself agreeing with Gamespot and their journalists on almost everything.

To get this out of the way, I own every Nintendo system including the Wii U and yes, even the Virtual Boy. I also buy every Zelda, Mario (main series) and Metroid title on release.

Nintendo's biggest market is the casual gaming market. They know this and have thus capitalized on it. This sadly frequently goes against what us hardcore gamers desire. And yes, if you're on a gaming forum, debating and discussing video games and video game hardware, you are a hardcore gamer. Maybe not in time commitment, but definitely in soul.

Now what you see with Gamespot, is that most of their editors represent the hardcore gaming audience. Sure, they have their casual editors that focus on phone games, party games, etc.. But the vast majority of their editors, and especially their more popular editors, are very hardcore gamers who grew up with the NES and had their gaming habits fueled by experiences like Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64 and other huge titles.

The Wii has, for the most part, been a bastion for casual family gaming. We hardcore gamers have been somewhat disregarded by Nintendo, or at least the spotlight has been moved away from us. Thus when we finally get something like a new Zelda or Metroid title, it's pretty damn easy to disappoint us. Hell I was incredibly disappointed with both Skyward Sword and Metroid Other M. Not because they were terrible games, but I expected so much more from what little bones Nintendo tossed us.

The Wii U is experiencing something similar. Here are all of these titles catered to us hardcore gamers, and while they may not be terrible games, they're either disappointing ports of games we have already played, or fail to meet the AAA launch-title expectations a lot of us have (ZombiU, I'm looking at you). The distance between Nintendo and the hardcore gaming audience just makes the reality of the situation all the worse, and thus the experience worse. As a result, we have lower scores that aren't necessarily wrong or harsh, just a reflection of the experience, and that experience is sadly morphed a bit by our expectations.

Man you really hit the nail on the head with everything you said. I'm impressed, and it's hard to impress me.
#62LordcrabfoodPosted 11/21/2012 11:12:32 PM
OMG!!!!! What a pathetic topic. People have different opinions. So you don't agree, it must be a conspiracy???? I agree with almost everything gamespot has said about the wii u. Just face the truth, nintendo's time is over.
#63BokuxPicoPosted 11/21/2012 11:14:10 PM
damage control at it's finest
#64ZombieAkanePosted 11/21/2012 11:15:02 PM
lmao, Wii U is a failure.

The truth hurts, doesn't it, Nintenbots?
---
"If I facepalm as hard as I wanted to it would be a mortal kombat fatality" - knightimex
#65FlameDragnPosted 11/21/2012 11:20:38 PM
I miss the days before this crap of "fanboyism" became prevalent. Who gives a rat whether a console has a bad rating? If YOU enjoy the games on the console, what difference does it make. It's stuff like this that makes me cringe. Try to get out of your mom's basement, realize that games aren't the meaning of life, or just grow up and enjoy the multitude of offerings that we have today in the video game arena. Take it light.
#66Virtue777Posted 11/21/2012 11:27:49 PM(edited)
FlameDragn posted...
I miss the days before this crap of "fanboyism" became prevalent. Who gives a rat whether a console has a bad rating? If YOU enjoy the games on the console, what difference does it make. It's stuff like this that makes me cringe. Try to get out of your mom's basement, realize that games aren't the meaning of life, or just grow up and enjoy the multitude of offerings that we have today in the video game arena. Take it light.

The days of fanboysim have been around for a lot longer than you may think. Since before even internet usage was common.

"Sega does........what Nintendon't!"

The only difference is that the majority of these debates took place in school yards on recess breaks. Sadly, the maturity level hasn't changed much since then, lol.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#67stromvancouverPosted 11/21/2012 11:35:05 PM
Gamespot thrives on mouse clicks just like every other web commercial web site. Don't respond to the expected troll response, and this site may find more intelligent methods of advertising.
---
3DS FC: 4081-5497-5635
#68ColorfulColorsPosted 11/21/2012 11:36:05 PM
ZombieAkane posted...
lmao, Wii U is a failure.

The truth hurts, doesn't it, Nintenbots?

You failed so hard at trolling you can't even get then insult right. lmao, your post is a failure.
---
sonic777 desperate to make me mad.
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed. ~SuperShyGuy9000
#69NoelXYeulPosted 11/22/2012 12:13:29 AM
It's okay, if I was a video game journalist, I'd bash the Xbox 360 every chance I get.
---
Top 5 Hottest Cutest/Final Fantasy Girls IMO: Yuel>>Garnet>>Vanille>>Rikku>>Penelo
Top 3 Final Fantasies: XIII-2>IX>Tactics
#70GreatTroySenseiPosted 11/22/2012 12:16:24 AM
This just in: gaming website claims that garbage release is garbage, fanboys upset. Film at 11.
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.